Carbs or Calories?

Options
I am trying to maintain my weight, and as I go, I have come across the question: If given two meals (roughly the same meal prepared in two different ways/with slightly varying ingredients. Is it better to choose the lower calorie meal with slightly higher carbohydrates or the lower calorie meal with slightly higher carbohydrates?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Whichever one helps you meet your goals. It's pretty individual. I personally tend to stay full on higher protein and carbs, and lower (not low) fat. There are plenty of people who find that carbs make them feel less-satiated and prefer low-carb. Best bet is to experiment and see what works for you.

(It may be relevant to point out that I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian and generally take in a lot of carbs with my protein.)
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am an ovo vegetarian, so I do quite well (feel satisfied with eggs as my protein). When I say "carbs", and the recipes I am referencing, the carbs are coming from a vegetables (pumpkin) or vegan protein powder. The protein powder has 38g of carbs for the meal with a lower caloric total (320), and the second recipe has pumpkin which contributes ~27g carbs with a higher caloric content (397).
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Souch a silly question.

2 steaks. Both same calories, do I eat the one with higher fat?
    2 chocolate same calories, do I eat the one with higher sugar?

None of this matters unless you are deficient in some other area that you're not revealing
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel fuller for longer on more proteins and fats, so I'd be inclined to go for the lower carb version, despite the slightly higher calories.

I think it's a totally individual preference as to which macros make you happier (in your head as much as your body!) and how sensitive to the volume of food on your plate you are - the higher carb version may well look bigger than the lower carb one!
  • valkongr
    valkongr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try it , really. No words can replace experience. I tried keto for 3 months and hated every single day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    I am trying to maintain my weight, and as I go, I have come across the question: If given two meals (roughly the same meal prepared in two different ways/with slightly varying ingredients. Is it better to choose the lower calorie meal with slightly higher carbohydrates or the lower calorie meal with slightly higher carbohydrates?

i think you've typed that wrong... both options are the lower calorie meal with slightly higher carbs...?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Do you have a problematic relationship with carbs, such as insulin resistance or cravings related to carbs? If not, and you are just wondering about this because someone told you to watch out for carbs so you think you should, then stop worrying about it and eat what you like within your nutritional needs.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i would chose lower carbs, higher cal.
    i am LCHF.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If both keep you at maintenance, it Doesn't matter. Pick what you like.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »

i think you've typed that wrong... both options are the lower calorie meal with slightly higher carbs...?

Lol!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm,well I love my carbs, but they are my fuel to burn 1000 calories a day!
  • pielattes1
    Options
    Do you have a problematic relationship with carbs, such as insulin resistance or cravings related to carbs? If not, and you are just wondering about this because someone told you to watch out for carbs so you think you should, then stop worrying about it and eat what you like within your nutritional needs.

No, I am not insulin resistant, I was just wondering about carbs/calories. Yes, they are both not breaking the bank with calories, I was just wondering about choosing carbs or calories.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    The MFP program is all about Calorie Deficit. You can monitor your calories and ignore everything else unless there's some other medical condition requiring you to restrict consumption of certain foods.

For example, diabetics need to be careful about sugar intake and carbs as well, while hypertensives should be cautious about sodium.
  • pielattes1
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    The MFP program is all about Calorie Deficit. You can monitor your calories and ignore everything else unless there's some other medical condition requiring you to restrict consumption of certain foods.

For example, diabetics need to be careful about sugar intake and carbs as well, while hypertensives should be cautious about sodium.

Thank you, Toni. That was my question, what should I be focusing on. So, calories are the primary to be focused on watching and keeping within my TDEE.