Can you lose fat just weight training?

Options
mizzmarble
mizzmarble Posts: 20 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

I just needed some advice, I really don't enjoy cardio that much at all and always feel it puts me off my workouts as I much prefer just weights and strength training....
however i try and power through and do about 20 mins of cardio at the start of my work out before moving onto strength training or alternatively, strength training followed by some swimming.
My question is, can I lose body fat (not necessarily weight as I want to build muscle) with not much cardio exercise? or on some days none at all? (except a warm up)... obv a good diet too.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• mizzmarble
    Options
    obv a good diet too :)
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can. As long as your diet is right.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You can lose fat just sitting on the couch if you are eating less than you burn
  • mizzmarble
    Options
    My thoughts were that if you under eat/have too much deficit in your diet you won't have energy to do the strength training/recovery and also that strength training doesn't burn masses of calories like cardio does so would you have to have a large deficit to lose the fat if not burning as many calories thus not as much energy etc?

am i better eating at say 1300-1500 cals a day, lean meat, veggies fruit etc rather than taking cals too low? or do you need to take them low if not doing cardio?
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is a key part of any program. Tabata and HIIT are great methodologies to base your lifting program on to gain strength and loose fat.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mizzmarble wrote: »
    My thoughts were that if you under eat/have too much deficit in your diet you won't have energy to do the strength training/recovery and also that strength training doesn't burn masses of calories like cardio does so would you have to have a large deficit to lose the fat if not burning as many calories thus not as much energy etc?

am i better eating at say 1300-1500 cals a day, lean meat, veggies fruit etc rather than taking cals too low? or do you need to take them low if not doing cardio?

If you are e.g. burning 500 calories from cardio daily and then you stop the cardio, obviously to maintain the same loss rate, you need to stop eating these 500 calories.
    Whether the 1500 calories in your example will help you lose weight or not, depends on your age, height, current weight and overall activity. A very tall young woman who walks 8 hours daily will probably starve on these calories, a short older woman with a sedentary lifestyle might actually find herself at maintenance with 1500 calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'd probably start at 1500 calories and adjust from there. Even that might be low. In fact a lot of women I know are closer to 1700-1900.

I'd also recommend a structure program that is to your current lifting level and that supports your goals such as: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

And if you hate cardio, I'd try a few types out to see if it's just a particular one. I hate it, but I love cycling, HIIT, and sports.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Cardio will increase your appetite and is not necessary to lose fat, but...

Don't skip the cardio, imo... It's the best thing you can do for your body and health... For me it's all about heart and lungs!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Don't skip the cardio, imo... It's the best thing you can do for your body and health... For me it's all about heart and lungs!
    Bold isn't really true for everyone and certainly not for me. Lifting is what makes me ravenous.
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just needed some advice, I really don't enjoy cardio that much at all and always feel it puts me off my workouts as I much prefer just weights and strength training....
    however i try and power through and do about 20 mins of cardio at the start of my work out before moving onto strength training or alternatively, strength training followed by some swimming.
    My question is, can I lose body fat (not necessarily weight as I want to build muscle) with not much cardio exercise? or on some days none at all? (except a warm up)... obv a good diet too.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

YES- I have almost cut cardio completely, and have lost so much fat my body has completely changed. Diet is so important as for strength you cant be in too much of a deficit. Its finding a happy medium. My 'weight' is slow to come off but over 50 inches gone since January all through lifting and eating a smaller deficit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Bold isn't really true for everyone and certainly not for me. Lifting is what makes me ravenous.

This is how I react too. Lifting hard makes me want to eat everything in sight. But also, you really shouldn't skip cardio, it doesn't have to be the boring stuff on machines, but improving your aerobic capacity is going to make everything better.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do very little cardio apart from walking to and from work. I weight train 2/3 days per week and do a Pilates class once a week. Have lost almost 70lbs in less than two years, weight training does make me hungry though, I'm just careful what I eat
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Of course. Heck people lose fat with NO EXERCISE at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Total opposite for me, cardio suppresses my appetite and I struggle to eat after an intense session. Strength training on the other hand makes me ravenous, I simply can't stop eating after a heavy session.

To the op, yep you can lose weight without cardio, but cardio is good for your health, maybe try a few things out to find something you like. I hate plain old boring treadmill or elliptical sessions, but love high intensity classes and interval workouts.