Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Soda Tax

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    The fact that Starbucks is not included is the biggest joke I've ever heard. I contribute most of my weight gain prior to this year to mochas and lattes from Sugarbucks

Being we're talking about Chicago/Cook County it wouldn't shock me if there was a "donation" from Starbucks to make sure they weren't included.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Starbucks cans and so on are included, drinks that you can add sugar to yourself are not, and I guess the lattes and so on are considered more like that although they add the sugar, etc.

Whatever.
  • lemurcat12
    Illinois' Liquor Tax is Beer 23.1¢/gal.; Wine $1.39/gal.; Spirits $8.55/gal.

As I figure it, there's about 128 oz in a gallon, so the soda tax is $1.28/gal.

Beer is the deal, taxwise.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Starbucks cans and so on are included, drinks that you can add sugar to yourself are not, and I guess the lattes and so on are considered more like that although they add the sugar, etc.

Whatever.

Good point. I suppose you could get a latte made with agave or liquid stevia or something which alters things a bit. I guess it's better to give the benefit of the doubt. Glad to hear cans are included!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Just chiming in to say Cook County & Chicago are a joke.

Hopping county's when you live in Cook County isn't really a viable option either, unless you live close to the border.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    A friend passed this along. 2 tallboys of Bud are less than 2 20 oz Cokes in Chicago.

s3q173svfnc9.png

Why is sales tax lower for alcohol?!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    A friend passed this along. 2 tallboys of Bud are less than 2 20 oz Cokes in Chicago.

s3q173svfnc9.png

It's just because of the ADDITIONAL tax that they just put on sweetened beverages.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I think the tax is all about publicity (see how we care for people's health!) along with another excuse to collect more money to waste (since I don't think for a new york minute the money goes to healthy eating education). What's so disingenuous is taxing just the soda. If you're buying into the sugar makes people fat hype, why aren't you taxing candy bars and cookies as well, and putting some effort into coming up with standards that levy tax on anything that's more than x% sigar?
  • SuzySunshine99
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think the tax is all about publicity (see how we care for people's health!) along with another excuse to collect more money to waste (since I don't think for a new york minute the money goes to healthy eating education). What's so disingenuous is taxing just the soda. If you're buying into the sugar makes people fat hype, why aren't you taxing candy bars and cookies as well, and putting some effort into coming up with standards that levy tax on anything that's more than x% sigar?

And why tax artificially sweetened beverages that have no sugar or calories?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

And why tax artificially sweetened beverages that have no sugar or calories?

Exactly!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member

Obviously the people who make these laws drink more alcohol than soda. :+1:
  • SuzySunshine99
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Obviously the people who make these laws drink more alcohol than soda. :+1:

Alcohol has less chemiKILLZ. ;)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    It's always been the case here that drinking alcohol in a bar tends to be about the same price as drinking soda. So why not?
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member

s3q173svfnc9.png

It's just because of the ADDITIONAL tax that they just put on sweetened beverages.

The tax rate for booze is 3% less than the tax rate for soda, so the additional tax for the soda doesn't change that aspect of it (although you're now paying sales tax on top of a sugar tax - wth?!).
    You may be on to something about the chemikillz ;).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Stay tuned, will be coming to selected areas near you soon.

Mexico has a tax on junk food.
    https://www.eater.com/2016/7/6/12107050/mexico-junk-food-tax-success

This is what is taxed:

In 2014, Mexico instituted an 8 percent tax on processed foods that had more than 275 calories per 100 grams, in an attempt to reduce junk food purchases, the Associated Press reported.
  • lemurcat12

s3q173svfnc9.png

Good catch. Looks like they charged it double or something.

I need to go buy some soda tomorrow, to see the receipt. (Heh, it's encouraging soda purchases!)
  • lemurcat12

It's a money raising effort. One that they could get passed, as it's currently difficult to raise other taxes (Chicago already has crazy high sales tax, this is the county, but the state's budgeting is incredibly dysfunctional too).
  • lemurcat12

s3q173svfnc9.png

I bought 2 20-oz diet cokes from a 7-11 in Chicago, and can now explain the receipts shown/answer the question. (Although the tax under discussion is all Cook County, the receipts packerjohn posted are from a Walgreens in Chicago.)

My receipt says:

Subtotal $3.00 (cost of the 2 sodas -- note the variation, which outweighs the tax, and this is from a convenience store)

Sales Tax (standard Chicago rate) = 10.25% or 31 cents
    SD Tax = 3% or 9 cents
    Cook County Sweetened Beverage Tax (on 20 oz) = 1 cent/oz or 40 cents

Total=$3.80, vs. the pre new tax rate of $3.40.

I think this is consistent with the receipt above, which was

Subtotal $4.00
    CCSB Tax $.40
    Sales Tax=13.25% or 53 cents (this is on the $4, not the $4.40, or it would be $.58, so it is the same)
    Total = 4.98

So what's the additional 3%? That's the pre-existing Chicago soda tax, which is 3% (and has been around since 2015, I think). As I think I said before, Chicago's sales tax is both super high and super confusing because it's a standard 10.25%, 2.25% for food (not soda or candy or prepared food, they get the standard higher rate), but has a variety of weird additional taxes, such as (these are just a few):

Amusement tax (5 percent or 9 percent of charges for amusement)
    Bottled-water tax (5 cents per bottle)
    Restaurant tax (0.25 percent of retail price in addition to sales tax)
    Soft-drink tax (3 percent of price)

As an aside, one of these is a very high parking tax, a huge park of parking costs which are really high in some parts of town (and probably really high anywhere compared to what people in most parts of the US are used to). The high cost of parking (which, granted, is to some extent just the value of the land that could be used for other things, as well as the awful parking meter deal) is related to why I think people are likely to drive less often here. Which itself is arguably related to encouraging certain kinds of behaviors vs. others.

It's interesting that the Chicago tax got very little comment comparatively, but I think it's because it's just one of these various taxes and because the amount is substantially less, especially when levied on a purchase of a case (which would otherwise tend to be much cheaper than the by the bottle purchases, where people expect a high, marked up kind of price -- anyone paying $4 for 2 20-oz bottles isn't really after a deal, after all).

I'm not particularly invested in any policy choice here, I mostly find the debates interesting and want to make sure the facts presented are accurate.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Thank you for the detailed explanation!