Do i REALLY have to go to the gym?

Options
Hi guys,
so i was just wondering if there are many people out there who don't go to the gym or even have a membership but still manage to reach fitness/strength/appearance goals?

I used to go to the gym, but couldn't really afford it while I'm at uni. I've definitely gotten sooooo much fitter cardio wise since leaving the gym as i run on the street and run up hills etc.

Are there any buff people that work out at home?

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'm "buff", but I don't go to the gym, don't have a membership. All my exercise is done at home (or by playing sports). There are plenty of exercise DVDs out there to use. I use EA Active 2 on my Wii for workouts.

Good old-fashioned body weight exercise (push ups, etc) will help you build strength. I have a series of dumbbells I use. You don't need a gym. :smile:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I work out at home!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I'm not 'buff' but I don't go to the gym. I run (outside), mountain bike and hike as my main cardio. As far as strength training, I do things like push ups and some exercises with my fitness ball (there are tons of videos on youtube for different exercises to do with it) and sometimes do yoga and pilates. You definitely don't have to go to a gym to get to your goals.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I dunno about buff, per se, but I work out at home and think I'm doing great. I do yoga, weights, resistance band work, and cardio outside in the neighborhood. I've gone from 112 estimated lean mass to 127 estimated lean mass, based on measurement and weight changes from when I started.

Totally think you can achieve your goals without a gym!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    No, certainly not. I don't go to the gym...and when I do go (while visiting another city or a hotel gym) I do enjoy it nearly as much as walking/jogging outside or doing yoga (either solo practice or at a studio). Heading to a 'gym' to get my exercise in is one of the last resorts for me at this point in my life.
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    Doesn't your university have a gym that you could use?
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am buff, but I am losing weight and I work out at home. I have a WII and there are some amazing weightloss games out there, I also walk my dogs regularly.
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    No gym for me. I'd rather work out in the privacy of my own home (and I'm a bit of a germophobe). I'm a devout follower of Jillian Michaels, and I also have weights, a stationary bike, and a big yard to play in (jump rope, lawn darts, horseshoes, playing catch, hitting wiffle golf balls). I'm not "buff," but I'm well on my way to "ripped." :)
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership and I've lost (at last weigh in) 23 pounds. I haven't weighed for 2 months tho because I've been doing Insanity and I wanted to see my "after" results without any spoilers in between. So I'm sure I've lost more, I KNOW I've lost inches, and I am absolutely more fit than I was 2 months ago. It can be done!
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not buff but I have lost over 60 lbs and I don't go to the gym. I use Netflix, exercise dvd and Youtube. I have a video on it if you care to look on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg6A0EOKzdo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HtQMd-hgbE
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    so i was just wondering if there are many people out there who don't go to the gym or even have a membership but still manage to reach fitness/strength/appearance goals?

I used to go to the gym, but couldn't really afford it while I'm at uni. I've definitely gotten sooooo much fitter cardio wise since leaving the gym as i run on the street and run up hills etc.

Don't have to go to the gym, but unless you're really good at form, have knowledge of workouts, and the actual equipment, then it's more challenging. People will say push ups, pull ups, but realize as you lose weight, you're reducing the resistance at the same time. So in actuality you're not getting stronger. Overloading the muscle makes it stronger. Another quick note: just doing diet and cardio for weightloss catabolizes muscle. Less lean muscle means a lower metabolic rate which means you have to work out longer to burn the same amount of calories from let's say 2 months prior.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Doesn't your university have a gym that you could use?

i wouldn't really call it a gym. Its a bunch of really crappy old machines that dont work properly:S
  • kristijoanderson
    Options
    Thinking that you have to go to the gym to work out is like thinking you have to go to a restaurant to eat. Home is the better place for both. Check out Youtube for lots of exercises, run outside, ride your bike, share videos with friends. Your home is never closed or too packed and you don't have to commute to get there. I love Zumba, P90X, TurboJam and just plain push-ups and crunches all done in my living room.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi guys,

Don't have to go to the gym, but unless you're really good at form, have knowledge of workouts, and the actual equipment, then it's more challenging. People will say push ups, pull ups, but realize as you lose weight, you're reducing the resistance at the same time. So in actuality you're not getting stronger. Overloading the muscle makes it stronger. Another quick note: just doing diet and cardio for weightloss catabolizes muscle. Less lean muscle means a lower metabolic rate which means you have to work out longer to burn the same amount of calories from let's say 2 months prior.

Thanks. That's not something that i had thought of. At the moment my body weight feels like enough resistance with pushups, squats etc. But once it gets a bit easier i will start using free weights to make it a bit harder