What the Health?

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ive been vegan for the last 3 years, and its the first time i maintained 48 kilos while eating large portions and truly listen to my body and enjoy food. none of that portion control *kitten* that comes with a high animal product diet. used to weigh even more when starving myself.

as i see it, i just get in way more vitamins that you miss out on when eating meat eggs dairy (and yes plants have protein and no im not protein deficient)

i love this way of eating, its truly amazing, and my cholestrol went from too high for my age to not even on the scale low :)

i can eat cheesecake and snickers and mousse and all the stuff you try to avoid, but i eat the raw healthy versions that doing my body a FAVOUR so for me this is the best!
    Lol, so you do know that there's a bit of BUG protein in almost any manufactured packaged food right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I thought snickers wasn't vegan....milk chocolate??

They aren't vegan. The poster is likely talking about making her own -- I've seen various recipes for vegan "Snickers" on Pinterest.
  • David_Marquiss
    David_Marquiss Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    I simply eat... I have a primarily plant based diet, but I eat lean meats and fish. Increased my beans, limited white flour breads, pasta, potatoes and processed foods. I have the labeled crap food in moderation if it fits in my calories and exercise. I have done the diet thing so many time and failed, so this time I decided healthy and fit was the way to go. For me, restrictions just dont work... and now that I don't restrict myself from things, the "crappy" things I desire less and less so it works for me. Started this new way of thinking 8 months ago... have lost 70lbs just had all my labs done and everything is great across the board for the first time in 20 years. Everyone has their own version of what is healthy. Do what works for you because no two people are the same.

You went feom "diet" to lifestyle. There is a difference, saying diet puts a contingency on success meaning its temporary and its easy to go back, verses making the lifestyle change, your focusing on just moving forward and what works for you. Its all about the mindset. Good job and keep up the good work, your a good example.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I simply eat... I have a primarily plant based diet, but I eat lean meats and fish. Increased my beans, limited white flour breads, pasta, potatoes and processed foods. I have the labeled crap food in moderation if it fits in my calories and exercise. I have done the diet thing so many time and failed, so this time I decided healthy and fit was the way to go. For me, restrictions just dont work... and now that I don't restrict myself from things, the "crappy" things I desire less and less so it works for me. Started this new way of thinking 8 months ago... have lost 70lbs just had all my labs done and everything is great across the board for the first time in 20 years. Everyone has their own version of what is healthy. Do what works for you because no two people are the same.

You went feom "diet" to lifestyle. There is a difference, saying diet puts a contingency on success meaning its temporary and its easy to go back, verses making the lifestyle change, your focusing on just moving forward and what works for you. Its all about the mindset. Good job and keep up the good work, your a good example.

Meh, 4 years into successfully maintaining my weight loss, which makes me a statistical freak of nature, and I didn't do any sort of 'lifestyle' change. I just learned how CICO actually works, applied it and then lost the extra weight. Now in maintenance I have a weight management plan, which keeps my calories in check. No drastic changes though to how I live, and that's one of the reasons why I've been so successful. Sure I drink diet soda now instead of regular and eat veggies and fruit every day, but I also still eat fast food every week, still enjoy the occasional ice cream or beer etc.

'Lifestyle' is just one of the current diet buzzwords, it doesn't really mean anything though. There was an interesting thread a while back about WW's rebranding their plan ie it's a lifestyle change instead of a diet, but yet there's been numerous posts from former WW members who've jumped ship and are now here, because the new WW plan is unsustainable.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love Michael Pollan's philosophy "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

I'll admit, it's more of a goal than an actual for me at the moment. I'm a very inexperienced cook - I made a recipe this weekend that called for 10 min of prep and it took me an hour, so I still need a lot more frozen meals than goal.

Strongly agree with the poster above who said the best way of eating is the one you can sustain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Meh, 4 years into successfully maintaining my weight loss, which makes me a statistical freak of nature, and I didn't do any sort of 'lifestyle' change. I just learned how CICO actually works, applied it and then lost the extra weight. Now in maintenance I have a weight management plan, which keeps my calories in check. No drastic changes though to how I live, and that's one of the reasons why I've been so successful. Sure I drink diet soda now instead of regular and eat veggies and fruit every day, but I also still eat fast food every week, still enjoy the occasional ice cream or beer etc.

'Lifestyle' is just one of the current diet buzzwords, it doesn't really mean anything though. There was an interesting thread a while back about WW's rebranding their plan ie it's a lifestyle change instead of a diet, but yet there's been numerous posts from former WW members who've jumped ship and are now here, because the new WW plan is unsustainable.

I don't know if the thread was about this recent article, but Weight Watchers specifically rebranded as a "lifestyle" because it is so trendy right now. People want to say they're changing their lifestyle, not going on a diet. WW responded to that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/magazine/weight-watchers-oprah-losing-it-in-the-anti-dieting-age.html
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I don't know if the thread was about this recent article, but Weight Watchers specifically rebranded as a "lifestyle" because it is so trendy right now. People want to say they're changing their lifestyle, not going on a diet. WW responded to that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/magazine/weight-watchers-oprah-losing-it-in-the-anti-dieting-age.html

Yes, I swear there's a thread going somewhere that talks about this? Along with that, there's been numerous threads from former WW followers who've left the program since all the new changes, because it's become so hard to follow.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Huskeryogi wrote: »

Agreed, although I do find it useful personally to have some additional guidelines that I follow (and sometimes don't). But on the whole I find Pollan pretty consistent with how I think about food.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agreed, although I do find it useful personally to have some additional guidelines that I follow (and sometimes don't). But on the whole I find Pollan pretty consistent with how I think about food.

Curious @lemurcat12 as to what your additional guidelines are?

I outlined my way of eating above, but forgot to mention that we have been trying to get more omega 3's in our diets lately, so make more of an effort to eat fish.

• PBAUSA17
    PBAUSA17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses. I've been eating (mostly) whole foods (only animals are fish) for the past few years. I am just interested in what other people are doing when faced with all of the information out there. I also am very thoughtful about animals as I do love them, so eventually want to phase out the fish as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Curious @lemurcat12 as to what your additional guidelines are?

I outlined my way of eating above, but forgot to mention that we have been trying to get more omega 3's in our diets lately, so make more of an effort to eat fish.

Not too different from yours.

I focus on making vegetables the center of meals, along with protein, and generally try to eat around 10+ servings per day, eating seasonally/locally when possible. Try to get in what I consider healthy sources of fats (fatty fish, nuts and seeds, avocado, olives, you know). I'll generally choose a less processed or higher fiber option over an alternative, but not absolutely always. Big thing for me is not snacking between meals. I try to get a significant amount of my protein from plant sources and from fish -- I'm consistent on the fish, less so with making legumes or the time the center of a meal (vs. eggs or some kind of fish/meat).