Tips to avoid eating too much at night?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have heard a lot of people struggle with this, but for me, eating at night is really a huge problem.

I am very motivated during the day but once I am home at night I have a lot of problem with either feeling really hungry or emotional eating.

I also suffer from reflux and obviously eating at night is bad for that as well. Last night I ate within my calories during the day, but then ended up eating a bowl of spicy ramen, a lemonade and a couple pieces of candy, all after 9 PM. I was up with reflux for an hour or two last night and I was so mad at myself. Plus, I went 700 calories over budget.

Does anyone have stories or tips of things to help combat this? I really want to stop eating for the day around 630 or 7 pm...

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat more earlier in the day?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    are you eating because you are hungry? bored? feel a need to?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Try skipping breakfast whenever you overeat at night.
  • skinnyEmilijah
    skinnyEmilijah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    are you eating because you are hungry? bored? feel a need to?

Depends on the night. Last night I felt really hungry. I ate dinner but was still really hungry. Some nights I eat to comfort myself, like have a rough day at work and then eat pizza.

I would eat more earlier in the day but I'm trying to cut calories to lose weight :)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    is there anything that doesn't cause you to have reflux - that you can pre-plan into your calories for the day to have at night?

if you are eating because you are legitimately hungry -then maybe reconsider your caloric goal - maybe its too restrictive
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My usual tip is go to sleep eariler (I night eat too - but it's because I'm bored, never hungry).

My other tip is to make sure you are getting plenty of protein for breakfast (earlier in the day), it will make you less hungry later in the day. If I eat a carby breakfast, I'm a snacky mess all day.

How many calorie are you eating in a day? Maybe your plan is too aggressive?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    The best way to stop doing something is to stop doing it. I don't know what we can tell you that you help you more than making a decision and sticking with it.
    Good luck.
    And stop overeating at night!
  • skinnyEmilijah
    Options

I did skip breakfast today. Although I don't every time I eat at night. I felt disgusted with myself this morning
    is there anything that doesn't cause you to have reflux - that you can pre-plan into your calories for the day to have at night?

if you are eating because you are legitimately hungry -then maybe reconsider your caloric goal - maybe its too restrictive

I think my caloric goal atm is decent. I'm doing 1451 and I'm 5'1"/29yo/167 lbs. I got it from a nutrition calculator off of mfp. Mfp tends to put me at 1200 and that is too much for me to cut at this high of weight.

Fatty or spicy foods give me the reflux, so maybe I'll brainstorm some carb-y snacks to have if I'm feeling really hungry.

• deannalfisher
    Options

I did skip breakfast today. Although I don't every time I eat at night. I felt disgusted with myself this morning

I think my caloric goal atm is decent. I'm doing 1451 and I'm 5'1"/29yo/167 lbs. I got it from a nutrition calculator off of mfp. Mfp tends to put me at 1200 and that is too much for me to cut at this high of weight.

Fatty or spicy foods give me the reflux, so maybe I'll brainstorm some carb-y snacks to have if I'm feeling really hungry.

what about a simple bowl of cereal? I do this at night and it helps me to sleep (like the proverbial dead)

are you eating back workout calories on days you work out?
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating at night completely. No ifs ands or buts. It made all the difference. Once in a while I will make an exception.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    lol... I go to bed - sometimes its 9:00 pm. But if it's eat or sleep - I take sleep
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    For a couple of days, try to "overplan" your evening with things that make it hard to eat because of boredom or emotions. Ie. tackle a big home project - like one night schedule an hour or two (during the time you would normally eat) and pull out everything you have in your closet - completely empty it on your bed. Spend the next hour sorting things into give-away, save for when it fits, etc. Try things on if not sure. Fold, hang, organize. If you put it all on your bed, have to finish to go to bed, so keep moving.

It may not completely stop you but keeps your hands and mind busy enough and rushing enough that the eating damage after may not be so bad. Especially if you take longer than you think and end up staying up late to get your bed cleaned off :)

Other ideas - big yard project, take up crochet or sewing, find someone to play fast card games with where speed matters, etc. Keep hands busy.

After a few nights, see if it was any easier :)
  • skinnyEmilijah
    Options

what about a simple bowl of cereal? I do this at night and it helps me to sleep (like the proverbial dead)

are you eating back workout calories on days you work out?

Cereal sounds like a good idea :) I was also thinking maybe toast or crackers and fruit might be good?

And no I am not eating back, but I also haven't been going to the gym at all. I walk a good amount at work but no strenuous exercise for me yet.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    if you do a good amount of walking at work make sure your activity level is correct (I avg 10k step a day just walking which is active) - that will help to make sure you stay satiated as well
  • skinnyEmilijah
    Options
    if you do a good amount of walking at work make sure your activity level is correct (I avg 10k step a day just walking which is active) - that will help to make sure you stay satiated as well

Yeah, I average 10k a day. Yesterday I got 16k. I do have a pretty active job I guess. I'll try recalculating my caloric goals. Thanks so much for your ideas and help.
  • skinnyEmilijah
    Options
    My usual tip is go to sleep eariler (I night eat too - but it's because I'm bored, never hungry).

My other tip is to make sure you are getting plenty of protein for breakfast (earlier in the day), it will make you less hungry later in the day. If I eat a carby breakfast, I'm a snacky mess all day.

How many calorie are you eating in a day? Maybe your plan is too aggressive?

Someone else mentioned the calories as well. I'm going to recalculate as I put that I was sedentary when I walk an average of 10k steps a day.
    The best way to stop doing something is to stop doing it. I don't know what we can tell you that you help you more than making a decision and sticking with it.
    Good luck.
    And stop overeating at night!

Thanks for your input but I've been telling myself I'm not going to do it for YEARS and that hasn't worked. I need a plan of what to do when I get hungry. I do agree that willpower is important but it won't override years and years of bad habits without a plan.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll only speak to what works for me:

As far back as junior high I have always been a late night eater. After school sports, working parents, etc. I grew up that way, I got used to it. Never was an issue for my weight until my lifestyle became more sedentary in my late twenties.

When I started to try to lose weight, I was concerned at first because I had heard so much about not eating after 7 pm, what have you. So I tried eating small meals throughout the day, eating a big breakfast, eating more protein at dinner, eating dinner later. None of it worked for me. I still needed to eat really late. That's when I get hungry.

Now I plan my meals that way. I save around 1/5 of my calories specifically for that purpose. Having those calories ensures that I can plan a satiating meal for late at night, and not be hungry which can lead to mindless snacking, and before you know it, a binge.

If you plan it, you're practicing a little mindfulness, preparing yourself for that meal, so you don't have to feel guilty.

It's working for me. I've lost over 20 lbs in a relatively short time, I never go to bed hungry, I don't wake up starved, and if I do skip breakfast, I can make it to lunch without worrying too much.
  • chrwel02
    chrwel02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually stop eating around 7 and drink a bunch of water, chew gum or brush my teeth. Chewing gum keeps your mouth busy and when I brush my teeth I don't want to eat and have to do it again...:) If your crafty make some cards or do some needlepoint to keep your mind off of food. Hope this helps! :)
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Close the kitchen! I used to have to go upstairs to my room to avoid the temptation of my kitchen cabinets!