Meat who?

Options
Hi! I just started MFP about a month ago and my journey...well my whole life has just been dieting.

I've been playing with different dietary lifestyles moreso lately and got interested in keto. I understand how it works for the most part but protein has never been my strong point. All my life i've had an aversion to meat, and it's only recently that i started eating it more. Not fully so but in increments, and sometimes not enjoyably. I'm pretty picky :# .
Meat isnt something id ever prepare for myself or in general, so i pretty much eat a plant/fruit/nuts/grains diet (like a bird!) I'd like to have more protein in my diet but i dont know how to go about that without relying on steak/chicken/etc. I'm looking for recommendations and advice from those who can feel my pain! Id appreciate it alot! :)

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm high good carb and losing. If you find a diet you like, you can stick to it for life. Temporary diets don't work. I do make sure I get 46grams protein a day minimum. I like beans and milk for protein.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Considering keto diets aren't generally high in protein, you're probably fine as is.

But, yeah, what kommodevaran said.
  • Citrus9
    Citrus9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A lifetime of dieting has told you... that you should try yet another diet? Is that it?

Why not just eat what you like, log it, hit your calorie goal, and lose weight?

it hasn't been exactly a whole lifetime, i'm only 19. I could do that but I'd like to just see how this works for me :#
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with Keto, but good sources of non-meat protein are fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, edamame, lentils, and beans.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you're eating fruits/nuts/grains then that is not even close to being keto because your diet looks like its high carb...

If you have trouble getting enough protein, try eating quinoa/peanut butter/beans etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are typically high fat, not high protein.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. I only like meat prepared in very specific ways and even that gets boring if I eat it too often. I decided that going high protein wasn't worth it to me. I consume enough protein, in my opinion. It's not super high, but it's good enough. How many grams are you aiming for? How are you with dairy? Can you handle beans? Are eggs an option? My strategy is basically to get as much protein as is comfortable for me within my preferences. I basically keep protein in mind when designing my meals but don't go out of my way or include things I don't like to reach it. Being able to last on a diet without burning out is more important than the diet details, so even if your diet doesn't end up optimal you are still better off than force-feeding yourself foods you don't like.

ETA: as for keto, I'm going to tell you it was hell for me in more than one way. That's why I don't do it. I know you don't mean to say that keto is high protein, it's not, but I feel you on having a problem reaching even the minimum protein recommendation because most low carb protein usually comes from animal sources. Eat enough beans to reach the bare minimum of protein and you will be kicked out of ketosis. Been there. I highly recommend sticking with an eating plan that fits your preferences better than keto. Just eat the foods you like in appropriate amounts and pay attention to calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily and look into their Launch Pad sticky. Lots of info there on a vegetarian or vegan LCHF or keto diet. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Vegetarian keto is not that tough but vegan keto is hard.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you do keto, you can forget about eating fruit in your diet. one apple or peach will wipe out just about all your keto calories for the day. you will have to struggle whether to choose each day - a fruit, a cereal, and other foods that have carbs. also people often get constipated on keto because they don't get enough fiber. you might do a Atkins 40 if you want to do a low carb, which includes more of those things you like. you can eat 40 carbs a day which gives you more fruit liberty. keto diet does kill your cravings for sweets though. This is me speaking from my own experience. about the only fruit that has low enough carbs is berries though. you might be able to eat a bit of those each day on keto, but not much.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    If you do keto, you can forget about eating fruit in your diet. one apple or peach will wipe out just about all your keto calories for the day. you will have to struggle whether to choose each day - a fruit, a cereal, and other foods that have carbs. also people often get constipated on keto because they don't get enough fiber. you might do a Atkins 40 if you want to do a low carb, which includes more of those things you like. you can eat 40 carbs a day which gives you more fruit liberty. keto diet does kill your cravings for sweets though. This is me speaking from my own experience. about the only fruit that has low enough carbs is berries though. you might be able to eat a bit of those each day on keto, but not much.

Actually, if you use the net carbs (subtract the fiber from the carbs on your veggies/fruits), you can eat a truck-load of green veggies (spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) and still maintain ketosis, get lots of fiber and not get backed up. Also, using net carbs, you can add things like psyllium-husk and other such fillers to get fiber as well. Most berries like blueberries, blackberries and strawberries are very low in carbs (as you pointed out).
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Keto doesn't work unless you do it the rest of your life. Like any diet. Ask yourself, is that what you want to do the rest of your life or do you want to learn a healthy eating lifestyle?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Keto doesn't work unless you do it the rest of your life. Like any diet. Ask yourself, is that what you want to do the rest of your life or do you want to learn a healthy eating lifestyle?

Not true.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »

Not true.

It doesn't matter. Encouraging someone to eat the exact opposite of their preferences without a legitimate reason is setting them up for failure. That's like encouraging someone who hates vegetables and legumes to go vegan for weight loss, it's just silly. No harm in trying the diet if she wants to, but she needs to know that she has other options that produce just as good of a result if she decides this isn't for her.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Citrus9 wrote: »
    A lifetime of dieting has told you... that you should try yet another diet? Is that it?

it hasn't been exactly a whole lifetime, i'm only 19. I could do that but I'd like to just see how this works for me :#

I'm not trying to do keto, but "vegan keto" is possible if you very carefully choose from a very narrow selection of plant sources of all the essential amino acids your body needs. I leave it to you to google the quoted term.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Citrus9 wrote: »

I'm not trying to do keto, but "vegan keto" is possible if you very carefully choose from a very narrow selection of plant sources of all the essential amino acids your body needs. I leave it to you to google the quoted term.

Yes, I know a couple of vegans who do keto (due to medical conditions). It's possible, but from talking to them I get the impression that there isn't much variety in the diet. It's also challenging to eat when travelling. I don't think either one of them would recommend it as a weight loss method to people who had other options available.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    the op is saying they want to switch to keto but is struggling because they naturally prefer non meat foods. i am the same way and i don't think we can even cross over to the "atkinsy" way of life but that is merely my opinion. carbs have less calories and i would work on reducing fat calories from food sources. lean meat. at least that's my plan. i am a carb.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein powder? Eggs, greek yogurt and cottage cheese are also good non-meat protein sources.
  • Cmcs85
    Cmcs85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know zero about keto and have never followed a fad diet, mainly because I have a protein intolerance where I cannot eat meat or cheese. I have always found alternative foods for protein. What is your overall goal in your journey?