Keto People teach me your ways.

Options
Looking to get healthy and stick to a diet that I have seen people get lasting results from. I want to commit to a healhty lifestyle Also looking for motivational people, blogs, cook books etc.
Hit me with you best shot! Also Add me, I need accountability.

thanks, Steph

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Do your research first before you jump in. Try the low carb forum here. They have a ton of material to go through and learn from. Most people who try this way of eating and fail is because they let their electrolytes get out of balance and feel like poo. Salt is your friend! Also fat isn't satieting for everyone so that is also a reason for failure or just not liking it. Calories still matter! You may find that it's easier to stay within your goals though.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Steph - X2 on do your research -Keto will work unless you rebound and dive into a chocolate cake - you have to decide if you are going to take an aggressive approach to weight loss, or a longer term plan -clean up your diet cut out the junk- eat more veggies and lift some weights - Eastcoast Jim
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do your research first before you jump in. Try the low carb forum here. They have a ton of material to go through and learn from. Most people who try this way of eating and fail is because they let their electrolytes get out of balance and feel like poo. Salt is your friend! Also fat isn't satieting for everyone so that is also a reason for failure or just not liking it. Calories still matter! You may find that it's easier to stay within your goals though.

^^ this. if you are not 100% committed going in you WILL fail. the first week is hard but once your body regulates to the fat as the main energy source it is very rewarding. no mid-day crashes. better sleep. you can go longer w/out eating and not get grumpy.

I really like Jason Wittrock (he has a lot of YT videos that are great for explaining keto for beginners.

GOOD LUCK :)
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    A few things:

Keto really becomes effortless weight loss for some people. They don't even have to think about it and the weight just falls off. Others, not so much. I have to count my calories or I'd overdo it because I have a tendency to eat when I'm not hungry, out of boredom, almost as a way of fidgeting. So, if I'm not careful, I can go way over my calories very easily. I've lost all my cravings and sort of constant, gnawing, low level hunger but I still want the activity, if that makes sense. So, keep that in mind.

Play around with your macros, by all means. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm most comfortable.

I didn't get the keto flu (I think it's because I was already very low carb, fruit was the only big carb source for em when I went full keto) but people say to get electrolytes and drink lots of water.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Calories, fats, proteins, carbs.. not all are created equal. Rule of thumb.. if it's processed.. it probably has fillers. Fillers equal hidden carbs and sugars. Read labels carefully.
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is the best advice you will receive. It is also a constant learning process as well because your body changes throughout the process.
    I got all of my info from Pinterest, my local library, and Instagram is really, really big for keto people ad well.
    I have been eating low carb/keto since mid may and I am down 54 lbs so far.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Yes! This is a great group. Check out the Launch Pad section first; lots of great info and it will answer many of your quesitons.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Don't fall for any gimmicy products either. All of that stuff is horse crap. Stick with food water & vitamins(keep your sodium, potassium levels up & magnesium helps with bathroom issues). The first 30-45 days, keep it simple. Avoid making elaborate keto meals until your body has adapted to the keto lifestyle. Spend a week or more doing Low carb first. Learn to live without the breads/pastas/sweets doing this first & it makes the transition to keto much easier.