Cannot survive on 1200! Food diary included

Replies

• TartsAndTattoos
    TartsAndTattoos Posts: 33 Member
    My left *kitten* cheek needs 1200 calories a day :) I just don't think you're eating enough, nor eating as well as you could. Cut out snacks and add better mini meals in. I'm not sure you exercise or what kind of exercise you do, so perhaps your end game is different than some of us on here. Exercising is easy, dialling in the nutrition is not so easy. Do your research and don't beat yourself up if you go outside of the lines. We're humans, otherwise none of us would be on here getting advice.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    I have trouble just getting to 1200.. try eating healthy Vegan, plants hardly have calories
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Eat your lean proteins first, veggies second, then some starch/carbs if you have room. Filling up on protein is going to keep you fuller longer as it digests slower than some other things. Snack on proteins and veggies instead of the high carb stuff. My dietitian told me that processed carbs digest super quick and leave you hungry and wanting more.

Also, try not drinking anything 20 minutes before, during, or 20 minutes after meals. That will keep your stomach smaller (not expanded from liquid), so hopefully it won't take as much food to make you feel full. And try eating slower.

I've been in a weight loss program for a year and I've been eating around 1,200 to 1,400 a day. It's doable. Good luck.

• hollyshealthylife
    hollyshealthylife Posts: 14 Member
    I would take a look at the balance of your macros. You should be eating 1g per lb of body weight. Considering upping your ratio to 20-25% protein daily (take it from your carbs, not fat). Protein and fat help you feel satiated, and will keep you fuelled up longer than just carbs. It sounds crazy, but I've seen major changes in my body shape since starting to eat MORE food (vs less). Watch your macros for 1 week, and aim to get more protein. You should be having a minimum of 30 g at every (main) meal to feel 'full'.
  • jlp_4
    jlp_4 Posts: 3 Member
    I was STARVING my first 3-5 days. Always felt like I needed a snack or something. After a little while it got much better. I found that if I full up at breakfast I don't need snacks before lunch. And I've finally figured out low calorie lunch ideas that help me stay full longer. I don't feel like I'm starving anymore. I think it's all about finding food that fill you up and last, which I'm sure is different for everyone. Experiment with different low calorie foods and see what works for you.
  • dlharris1
    dlharris1 Posts: 34 Member
    I would take a look at the balance of your macros. You should be eating 1g per lb of body weight. Considering upping your ratio to 20-25% protein daily (take it from your carbs, not fat). Protein and fat help you feel satiated, and will keep you fuelled up longer than just carbs. It sounds crazy, but I've seen major changes in my body shape since starting to eat MORE food (vs less). Watch your macros for 1 week, and aim to get more protein. You should be having a minimum of 30 g at every (main) meal to feel 'full'.

Thank you I'm all new to the whole macro thing but am trying to track this too, just seems to be mixed messages everywhere online as to ratios. Plus not all the food on here has useful info, struggling with the accuracy of it all
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    dlharris1 wrote: »

Thank you I'm all new to the whole macro thing but am trying to track this too, just seems to be mixed messages everywhere online as to ratios. Plus not all the food on here has useful info, struggling with the accuracy of it all

Initially it takes time to find accurate entries - I like finding new foods on the computer rather than my phone as it's easier. You can choose to edit incorrect entries, and add or change information. Once you get more set up you'll probably find you eat a lot of the same ingredients/products so it's not so bothersome!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    What helped me was trying to include a salad at least 3 or 4 days a week no matter what else I ate. Often I would have a couple of 'quiet times' during the day to relax with coffee or tea and maybe a low calorie snack. Also I allowed myself a few more than the 1200 on weekends..up to around 1400. That gave me something to look forward to. I weighed myself every day..but only recorded it on Monday morning as my official weight. I drank a lot of Diet Coke. I know that it is not good for you..but that is at least for me..a whole 'nuther habit to deal with at another time. lol I did not have a lot of food rules. Sticking to a calorie limit is restricting enough although I did choose most of my food wisely. I walked every day and used a Fitbit. Maybe some of these little things are something u can use. Oh..and I kept a private blog (journal) here on MFP). :smile:
  • larajadewilliams
    larajadewilliams Posts: 2 Member
    Hiya, I'm similar to you and awful at this whole thing! But I have learned that if you use your phone to count your steps for you (I put phone in my bra if I don't have a pocket) you will soon see those steps add up throughout the day. Also there are options for adding in things like cleaning etc that u do in a day which will give u extra calories. Keep phone on you all day and try and get in your 10,000 steps. I even do steps on the spot while washing up/brushing teeth etc. Please add me if u want and maybe we could help each other?! After 4 children and quitting smoking 4 years ago I'm desperate to lose weight but not very good at it so would love help too!!
  • DM_78
    DM_78 Posts: 57 Member
    dlharris1 wrote: »
    Where did you come up with the 1200 amount? I'm guessing you have no idea how much you were actually eating doing slimming world? (the impression I get is that they don't calorie count)

It's likely that 1200 is too little, and unnecessarily restrictive for you. If you've set it for 2lbs a week loss, reduce this to perhaps 1lb. Also remember you can eat back your exercise calories - mfp calculates your calorie deficit goal without exercise included.

It's just the amount the app gave me

The app gave me the same calorie base, but I know from past experience that if my calories are too low I don't have enough energy to do what I want and need to do and my weight loss stalls. So, I set it to 1500 calories and am losing at a decent rate. I also manually adjusted my macros because I just don't do well with higher carb intake. Sometimes it just takes a little tweaking to figure out what works for you.
  • KailaLaFlor
    KailaLaFlor Posts: 20 Member
    I'm struggling to even meet 1,200 a day since I gave up junk foods and started eating more plant based. I'm doing an oatmeal shake for breakfast with unsweetened almond milk, a HUGE plate of brown rice and roasted veggies for lunch, and I don't even want to snack I'm so full from those. Dinner is protein and vegetables.

I'm going to have to get some protein powder or something to add to my shake and up my calories, I keep coming up around 900, and physically can't eat more.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    I'm struggling to even meet 1,200 a day since I gave up junk foods and started eating more plant based. I'm doing an oatmeal shake for breakfast with unsweetened almond milk, a HUGE plate of brown rice and roasted veggies for lunch, and I don't even want to snack I'm so full from those. Dinner is protein and vegetables.

I'm going to have to get some protein powder or something to add to my shake and up my calories, I keep coming up around 900, and physically can't eat more.
    Are you weighing the rice?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Add more fat to your diet.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Are you weighing the rice?

I wondered that - like 1/4 cup uncooked rice is like 150cal - so if she is doing a "HUGE" plate - what is that 2-3 servings (if not more) - that could easily be 6-700cal

oatmeal is also fairly calorie dense
    Rice is my nemesis. I love it, and the portion size I naturally regard as "just right", i.e. a pile the size of my head, turned out... to be most of my day's calorie budget, or something stupid like that.

me - thankfully I suck at cooking it myself...I can do the insta-rice stuff, but give me a loose bag and i'll burn it every time :)
  • Cortneylbarrow
    Cortneylbarrow Posts: 2 Member
    Idk how old your children are, but especially if they are younger, carrying them around while your cleaning, or cooking, or just going about your day is exercise in its self. Think of how heavy your child is... that's like walking around carrying a 20lb weight. I've got 3 school aged children and a 10 month old, so I always have laundry and dishes, i usually put on pandora, set to a dance cardio station, and just dance around while I'm cleaning. The kids usually join in. And I cannot dance lol but I'm moving my body and that's what counts. Good luck!