read

Options
Can you read while you run/jog on the treadmill, there's this lady at the gym that does it she holds the book and runs, I mean the treadmill is set at like 5.0+, yeah I was noisy and looked, I was just so amazed she could do that, I'd totally fall on my *kitten*!:noway: :laugh:

Replies

• sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Can you read while you run/jog on the treadmill, there's this lady at the gym that does it she holds the book and runs, I mean the treadmill is set at like 5.0+, yeah I was noisy and looked, I was just so amazed she could do that, I'd totally fall on my *kitten*!:noway: :laugh:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I can hardly even watch tv on the treadmill. However, I'm not known for my balance ...:laugh:
  • psychojenn
    Options
    i actually used to read while on the treadmill if i was going at a slow pace but usually just on the bike, but at that speed?? :noway: noway! lol
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    only if i was going at a really slow pace. and even then, i would get a headache from the words bouncing around so much...:grumble:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I cannot read and work out at all.
    Not on the treadmill, elliptical or bike.
    The book bounces too much, gives me a headache.

There is a guy at my gym who reads as he does sit ups. lol
  • sarabear
    Options
    I'm just amazed, maybe she not even reading and just wants something to look at :laugh: I don't know how she does it, it almost makes me laugh!
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hmm...if you're holding a book and running, then it disengages your arms from being involved. Running (or even brisk walking) is meant to be a whole body exercise, that's why it's such a good cardiovascular exercise and a great fat burner.

Also, your body is designed to work in opposition, so your right leg and left arm swing forward, while your left leg and right arm extend back (take a few steps and you'll see what I mean). If you throw off this opposition, then you risk unbalancing (read: weakening) muscle groups.

I could go on, but I'll stop trying to sound like a know-it-all :tongue:

I'm a student, so occasionally I'll take some notes with me on a treadmill to read as I run or walk, but I put them on the ledge and make sure I'm still pumping my arms as I run/walk.
  • sarabear
    Options
    I know that she's prob not getting all she could from her workout, but then again she doesn't look like she needs to workout:laugh: Like I said I was just amazed