I need to stop drinking calories

Options
Cmcs85
Cmcs85 Posts: 22 Member
After looking at my diary day by day, even when I forget to complete, one thing I notice is that I drink too many calories. I never drink coffee without cutting it with half hot chocolate or french vanilla. I drink at least a can of coke a day. Cutting what I used to consider these harmless calories is my small change I plan to make next. I'm not fond of water. What are your tricks and suggestions for moving forward from this obstacle?

Replies

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've always drank diet soda growing up, so it might be a harder transition for you, but I've enjoyed flavored seltzer water for a bubbly drink. You can add flavorings like crystal light or flavor drops to make it more palatable if you'd like.

Flavored ground coffees can offer aroma and a bit of flavor without extra calories. One serving (2T) of Ovaltine powder is 40 calories - often switching to a lighter version of what you already like can help you reduce calories, and you may find that you lose your taste for such sweet drinks over time. Switching to almond milk instead of regular for flavoring your coffee is another good way to cut calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I hear you.
    I gave up sodas in about 1998. Lost 10 Lbs.
    I gave up most processed crappy junk food (fast food, candy bars, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and most refined carbohydrates) in about 2002, lost another 20 or 30. NEVER LOOKED BACK.

GOOD LUCK
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I mix half a serving of Ovaltine into my coffee, makes it chocolatey for hardly any cals.
    Diet soda, I never thought I'd get used to it, but I have 3 or 4 a week as a sweet treat.
    Flavored green or black tea, especially mint which tastes sweet without calories.
    Keep trying water every once and awhile, you can develop a taste for that too!
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Try switching different waters like strawberry flavored sparkling to still then different flavors,
  • millea84
    millea84 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yeah I kinda of have a hard time drinking water sometimes. I have been a bit sick and tried to choke down water to stay hydrated. I am kind of turned off of water at the moment. Plus, I can't really drink tap at my house because of bad quality, and my brita pitcher needs a new filter. I found that zero calorie powerade is pretty good. Well at least the blue one. I have yet to try the other flavors, but I believe they will be good. I agree about the flavored coffee. I just got to train myself to not put creamer or milk in it. I am also trying to switch to diet soda, Mountain Dew helps keep me awake sometimes.
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Diet Coke fiend. A fiend! Went on vacation to Barbados and it was hard to come by. By the time I came back, I had already pretty well broken my habit, so I quite it cold turkey. Also fired Starbucks. I suppose you're not going to Barbados, but my point is maybe take advantage of some disturbance in your routine to see if you can just make the switch over to water while you're distracted with more important things. Its cheaper, I'm saving several $k a year!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I really really don't like water. I drink it only when I'm thirsty. I drink coffee and the flavored sparking waters and a few cans of Diet Coke a week. I might drink 8 oz of water a day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free flavor syrups in my coffee, and drink diet soda or use mio drops or powder flavor packets in water. Some have about 10 calories, so you do have to track those, but so much less than soda. I still use half and half in my coffee, but only 1 tbs=20 cal. I also like the clear sparkling sodas at HEB and Walmart.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree with some other posters who suggest trying to up your water intake. That really is the best thing you can do to hydrate yourself.

I know I will be told I'm wrong and that there is no proof of what I'm saying, but I truly belive (MY OPINION) that zero calorie drinks and artificial sweeteners are not healthy. People say they have been proven safe etc, but who is proving them safe? The FDA? In the 80s they told everyone margarine was the healthy alternative and now they are saying the trans fat is horrible for your heart (but it was proven safe). But I digress....

I used to drink coffee with sugar and creamer. It took some getting used to, but now I drink my coffee with only milk added (or sometimes add a teaspoon of sugar if it is really strong). The milk really helps dilute it.

I'd also suggest flavored teas if you don't like plain water. You can always make them hot or cold. Raspberry tea is very tasty.
  • Morgenholt
    Morgenholt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm exceedingly lazy. I find the best way to cut drinking calories is to drag a water bottle with you everywhere and to simply never take any high calorie liquids home. If it's not in the pantry, I can't be bothered going out to buy it, no matter how much I might crave, and if my stomach is full of water at any given moment, then doubly so.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I agree with some other posters who suggest trying to up your water intake. That really is the best thing you can do to hydrate yourself.

I know I will be told I'm wrong and that there is no proof of what I'm saying, but I truly belive (MY OPINION) that zero calorie drinks and artificial sweeteners are not healthy. People say they have been proven safe etc, but who is proving them safe? The FDA? In the 80s they told everyone margarine was the healthy alternative and now they are saying the trans fat is horrible for your heart (but it was proven safe). But I digress....

I used to drink coffee with sugar and creamer. It took some getting used to, but now I drink my coffee with only milk added (or sometimes add a teaspoon of sugar if it is really strong). The milk really helps dilute it.

I'd also suggest flavored teas if you don't like plain water. You can always make them hot or cold. Raspberry tea is very tasty.

Margarine no longer has trans fat in it.

Also, there's lots of people who believe milk is unhealthy, even though the FDA has said it's safe.....and let's not even talk about how horrible sugar is for you.....

;)
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that added sugar is not good for you. It's for that reason that I limit how much added sugar I eat (yes I still have treats etc).

Unlike artificial sweeteners though, sugar is natural and not some man made chemical.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs about health and food. I tend to believe that the less processed, man made food we eat the healthier we will be.

Artificial sweeteners are approved by the FDA. I choose not to consume them, but I'm not going to stop anyone from doing so. I just belive there are healthier options so that is what I would recommend (in not going to recommend something I don't belive in).
  • alquamire
    alquamire Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda might be safe, but that does not mean it is without effect on your body. What that effect is for you (satiation of a sweet craving, causing hunger, tasting horrible, tasting great, intestinal troubles, skin troubles, messing with your insuline release, or just no significant effect other than quenching that thirst) is something only you can determine.

I personally would not recommend artificial sweetener in any shape or form, but that's my two cents.

Try going with teas, tisanes, infusions, tiny amounts of juice watered down, flavourings... there are a lot of options once you start looking.
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fruit infused water, for coffee try stevia+cream or tea. When I want soda I drink sparkling water. La Croix cranberry sparkling water taste great. Lemonade with stevia and unsweetened iced tea.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you want to break the habit, you don't have to go cold turkey. Maybe alternating a sugar-free drink with a regular soda will help you change. Drinking more water in any form, flavored water (Crystal Light, Mio or some other drops, pre-flavored in bottles) or not, can't hurt. And there really is nothing wrong with sugar-free soda if you don't have any bad reactions to them. I'm a big fan of Diet Mountain Dew and sugar-free ginger beer along with my water, and that's probably not going to change.

If you think of changing your habits as a punishment, then no change is going to last. Maybe treat it as an exploration of new food and drinks to enjoy. Best of luck to you!