Low carb high fat....

Hey yal ! So I'm just bow starting out on the LCHF diet. And so far it's doing pretty good I'd assume. I'm only on my second day but it's craving my appetite big time. I picked up Atkins protein drinks today at Sam's Club, French Vanilla, I'm hoping they're good lol.
Do yal have any tips for me for a beginner?!
Thanks so muc!!!

Replies

• catewilliams325
    catewilliams325 Posts: 6 Member
    Get some coconut oil and use it in your coffee and to cook. Eat avocado nuts and cheese and eggs, don't go all meat or you want feel satisfied or get enough nutrients. Get a large thing of washed lettuce and eat half your plate full of greens. I've never felt or looked better than when I'm doing LCHF just don't neglect your greens and avocados have lots of fat and fiber too!
  • asheets88
    asheets88 Posts: 2 Member
    Get some coconut oil and use it in your coffee and to cook. Eat avocado nuts and cheese and eggs, don't go all meat or you want feel satisfied or get enough nutrients. Get a large thing of washed lettuce and eat half your plate full of greens. I've never felt or looked better than when I'm doing LCHF just don't neglect your greens and avocados have lots of fat and fiber too!

Thankyou so much! That helps alot.
    I can deff feel a difference of how I'm feeling. And it's only day two. Can't wait to see how I'm feeling on day 7 or a few weeks from now!.
  • aldawnc
    aldawnc Posts: 1 Member
    Is there a way to set up the fitness pal to low carb?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2017
    aldawnc wrote: »
    Is there a way to set up the fitness pal to low carb?

you can set the macros to something like 5 or 10% carbs, 20, 25, 30 % protein and fat the rest. Custom goal setting rather than just accepting the default. Exactly where that appears depends what you're using to access MFP.

But the primary focus of MFP will be calories.
  • wifeofaveteran
    wifeofaveteran Posts: 12 Member
    How do you learn the macronutrients and how much protein should you eat also no lite bread or fruit???
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    How do you learn the macronutrients and how much protein should you eat also no lite bread or fruit???

See #1 in this thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

As for bread and fruit.....I don't have medical issues with regards to carbs. So I eat bread and fruit....in moderation. Elimination diets have always backfired for me. I need life time changes...not just temporary changes to lose weight.
  • cleighb22
    cleighb22 Posts: 17 Member
    Good luck girl!! Ive been doing keto on and off for a couple years and I always feel my best when following it! Don't starve yourself! When I first started I was so nervous about eating too much! Pinterest has become my best friend! I just type in what I have and they find me a recipe!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I'm an ex-ketoer, and those Atkins products such as the shakes, chocolate bars, ect, used to kick me out of ketosis. They are great for your sweet cravings, but try to find some other source. They seems to mess with some people in negative ways.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    You said low carb high fat.. are you doing a low carb diet or are you trying to get into ketosis? Asking cause the above poster is correct when saying Atkins (and other) shake, bars, etc won't work for ketosis but is just fine for low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    asheets88 wrote: »
    Hey yal ! So I'm just bow starting out on the LCHF diet. And so far it's doing pretty good I'd assume. I'm only on my second day but it's craving my appetite big time. I picked up Atkins protein drinks today at Sam's Club, French Vanilla, I'm hoping they're good lol.
    Do yal have any tips for me for a beginner?!
    Thanks so muc!!!

You may be low in electrolytes. Dropping carb intake will lower insulin which causes water loss which leads to low electrolyte levels. You need 3000-5000mg of sodium a day - there is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt.

Sometimes the need for salt manifests as cravings. It may be worth trying an extra cup of broth of something and see if that helps.

I tend to be a fan of avoiding low carb substitute foods. For many it leads to more cravings. Skipping it for a while may help.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group for tips. They are a helpful bunch. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group