Shrinking your stomach

Options
LynnJ9
LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have always heard you need to eat smaller meals to shrink your stomach. Gastric bypass is about making the stomach smaller. I have also been told don't drink with your meal or that will stretch your stomach. When dieting, i have been told the key to not being hungry is to shrink your stomach so you don't have to eat as much to feel full.
But I notice that most people talk on mfp about volume eating low calorie foods such as vegetables to feel full. I have been eating lots of small meals and one large meal with lots of veggies and protein. It is very satisfying, but I am wondering how that affects the idea of shrinking my stomach.
After 10 weeks of dieting, I know I can still fit in as much as I always have.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight management is easy to make confusing. One easy way to make it confusing, is to mix toghether "process" and "method". So many myths have been created and so much money has been spent and earned from confusion. Fear of hunger is a much bigger problem than actual hunger. Healthy weight loss should not make you more hungry. You're not starving yourself - the calories you're not eating, are taken from your fat deposits. Your body is designed to do this. It does this every night, even when you aren't in "weight loss mode". Some people like feeling full. Some people think they have to feel full. Feeling full is not the same as feeling satisfied. Your stomach is elastic, and feeling of fullness is not just a physical sensation, it's definitely also a feeling in your mind, depending on habit, preference, attitude, awareness and environment.

To lose weight, you have to consistently eat less - this is the process. What you'll often see referred to as CICO, eat less/move more.

To consistently eat less, you have to find a way of doing it that you can keep doing. This is the method.

There is one process. And a billion methods. You need to make the process happen. You can pick any method.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the relative size/elasticity of an internal organ. Your stomach will expand to fit in whatever you put in there (within reason!). It is not a magic creature that can be trained. It's going to do what it always does - act as a temporary repository for what you've just eaten, and kick start the digestive process. If your concern is about retraining your body to not feel hunger, then eating sensible portions on food on a regular basis will do the trick.