Headaches when exercise

I get a mean headache when I workout. I can't even workout. I make sure I eat and drink lots of water. It been happening for a week now. Any ideas what the problem is???

Replies

• HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Are consuming enough carbs??
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    there are so many factors that could contribute to your headache so without knowing what kind of food you eat, its hard to say.

causes could be: dehydration, unbalanced electrolytes, artificial sweeteners, low calories, etc.
  • arianapolitis
    arianapolitis Posts: 12 Member
    Try a banana before working out! Helps me
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Do you take a pre-workout? Some of those can affect some people quite badly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How's your blood pressure?
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Are you doing anything before your workout that could be a trigger? (Food, supplements, cold shower?)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    It could also be a tension headache. I tend to clench my jaw and tighten my shoulders when I run unless I'm paying close attention to those areas.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It could be a migraine; an artery spasoming in your neck cutting off blood flow to your brain.

You could ask your doctor. If it is a migraine this medication could stop the headache.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-57960/ergostat-sublingual/details

If it's not a migraine the medication won't help.
  • squats4spaghetti
    squats4spaghetti Posts: 3 Member
    There's a lot of things it could be, so try ruling things out and narrowing the list down. Start off with eating a banana with some other food (ex: oats, yogurt, wholegrain bread) 30 mins before you workout. A common reasons is not enough good carbs. If that isn't it, at least you'll have ruled something out. Other reasons could include: -dehydration -stressing muscles too much -low blood sugar -high blood pressure.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    See a neurologist please. It's not normal.
  • orangegato
    orangegato wrote: »

Actually, it's quite common. I have suffered from exertion headaches for years. It might happen when you exercise in heat, you don't eat enough salt, you have an electrolyte imbalance, you're dehydrated... For me, a salty, carbohydrate-based snack usually helps.

I do think it's always a good idea to check with a doctor and make sure there is nothing serious, but it's not abnormal.

I disagree. It is a form of headache and that is a condition. No matter what the headache is from, it is abnormal. Normal is to have no headaches. There are classifications of headaches that are exertional in nature, even related to sex, yes. But the OP is implying this is new, for 1 week, despite eating and drinking, to the point that they can't even work out any more.

Concerning.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member

Actually, it's quite common. I have suffered from exertion headaches for years. It might happen when you exercise in heat, you don't eat enough salt, you have an electrolyte imbalance, you're dehydrated... For me, a salty, carbohydrate-based snack usually helps.

I do think it's always a good idea to check with a doctor and make sure there is nothing serious, but it's not abnormal.

I disagree. It is a form of headache and that is a condition. No matter what the headache is from, it is abnormal. Normal is to have no headaches. There are classifications of headaches that are exertional in nature, even related to sex, yes. But the OP is implying this is new, for 1 week, despite eating and drinking, to the point that they can't even work out any more.

Concerning.

No, there are different types of headaches. Some are neurological conditions. Those can be concerning. Some can be caused by stressed, such as tension headaches. Not as concerning. Others are caused by something within, such as a tumor...VERY concerning. A true exercise or exertion type headache can be easily remedied. It has no...life altering symptoms. Yes, it should be looked at and treated by a doctor, but they are very easily managed.

So no, not ALL headaches are abnormal.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It could be a migraine; an artery spasoming in your neck cutting off blood flow to your brain.

You could ask your doctor. If it is a migraine this medication could stop the headache.

Since I get exercise-induced migraines, this was my thought as well. Mine are related to either level of exertion (too much) or lack of hydration/electrolyte imbalance.

If they are exercise induced migraines, I would suggest talking with a medical practitioner.
  • orangegato

Concerning.

No, there are different types of headaches. Some are neurological conditions. Those can be concerning. Some can be caused by stressed, such as tension headaches. Not as concerning. Others are caused by something within, such as a tumor...VERY concerning. A true exercise or exertion type headache can be easily remedied. It has no...life altering symptoms. Yes, it should be looked at and treated by a doctor, but they are very easily managed.

Headache is a general category that falls under neurological conditions. I am aware of the different kinds of headaches and I stated that before. I am not saying that all headaches are dangerous. I am saying that headache is abnormal, just like a rash is abnormal, regardless of if it is a benign etiology or not. Since no one has examined the OP and no one can be sure about the cause of his headaches, he should be seen by a doctor, preferably a neurologist.
  • YvetteK2015
    jgnatca wrote: »

Just to be clear, migraines do not stop blood flow to the brain. Holy moly, if they did that, I'd be brain damaged by now. Migraines dialate the blood vessels in your head. The medication which you just linked to helps to constrict the blood vessels, thus stopping the pounding sensation when a migraine hits.
  • YvetteK2015

Concerning.

Headache is a general category that falls under neurological conditions. I am aware of the different kinds of headaches and I stated that before. I am not saying that all headaches are dangerous. I am saying that headache is abnormal, just like a rash is abnormal, regardless of if it is a benign etiology or not. Since no one has examined the OP and no one can be sure about the cause of his headaches, he should be seen by a doctor, preferably a neurologist.

No one said they shouldn't see a doctor. In fact, I think everyone said they SHOULD see a doctor, because in general, headaches suck. But your words were that it was abnormal and concerning. I'm just saying that these types of headaches are not that uncommon, but go to the doctor and don't be too concerned unless the doctor tells you you need to be.
  • orangegato

Concerning.

No one said they shouldn't see a doctor. In fact, I think everyone said they SHOULD see a doctor, because in general, headaches suck. But your words were that it was abnormal and concerning. I'm just saying that these types of headaches are not that uncommon, but go to the doctor and don't be too concerned unless the doctor tells you you need to be.

You think the OP is concerned since he posted this? Sorry but not sorry. Not backing down. Hope he sees a good doctor about them, I hope they are exercise induced and nothing serious, and I hope they are managed well.
  • YvetteK2015

Concerning.

You think the OP is concerned since he posted this? Sorry but not sorry. Not backing down. Hope he sees a good doctor about them, I hope they are exercise induced and nothing serious, and I hope they are managed well.

Backing down on what? The only difference here is that you have already labeled his headaches as serious and alarming, by the way you are acting. Me and one other person said this type of headache is not uncommon, but go and be seen by your doctor for his. Because if it is an exertion headache, it can be easily managed. Would you rather me say, "OMG, go to a doctor now, your life depends on it!"
  • orangegato

Concerning.

Backing down on what? The only difference here is that you have already labeled his headaches as serious and alarming, by the way you are acting. Me and one other person said this type of headache is not uncommon, but go and be seen by your doctor for his. Because if it is an exertion headache, it can be easily managed. Would you rather me say, "OMG, go to a doctor now, your life depends on it!"

On that I think it is concerning. We both agree he should see a doctor. I hope he does.