How is this for breakfast??

I am very new to dieting but remember vaguely my coaches from highschool telling us of food like this. I can't remember it all. I'm trying to lose weight. I am 5'11" and weigh 280 pounds. By no means am I not athletic. I can function like anyone else and am stronger then most. I want to tone I suppose would be a better word. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Do you enjoy it? Does it keep you feeling full? Does it allow you to fit other meals in to your day that also satiate and satisfy you?

I personally prefer to not eat breakfast most of the time. If I do, its not oats as I don't particularly enjoy them, and they don't satiate me at all (unless combined with loads of tasty ingredients which uses up lots of calories and leaves me with little left for the rest of the day)
  • rakeru19
    rakeru19 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi there! I'm not a nutritionist or a coach but I saw your pic and I'm wondering how it amounts to 750 calories? One thing I noted was the 25gms of sugar, in my opinion I would switch the granola with something with less sugar. I suggest checking out bodybuilding.com it's a great community since you're looking to build lean muscle mass
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Your body burns a certain amount of calories just by keeping you alive. Then you move, a little or a lot, through the day, and burn more calories. To lose weight, you need to, over time, eat fewer calories than you burn. This is something you just do, you don't try. In fact, it's better to set out to just do it. Logging your food intake - correctly - in your food diary and hitting your calorie goal - assuming that is set correctly too - each day, means that you will lose weight.

You can eat anything you want. Good nutrition is important for good health. A wide variety of foods from all the food groups is an easy way to get in good nutrition. But you can't just "eat healthy", you have to like the food you eat, too. So choose food you like, but don't eat too much. In order to not eat too much, you will have to choose a healthy diet anyway.

Toning is a confusing word. Your muscles grow when you systematically use and rest them, and they will be more visible as you lose fat.
  • 2fast77
    2fast77 Posts: 4 Member
    rakeru19 wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm not a nutritionist or a coach but I saw your pic and I'm wondering how it amounts to 750 calories? One thing I noted was the 25gms of sugar, in my opinion I would switch the granola with something with less sugar. I suggest checking out bodybuilding.com it's a great community since you're looking to build lean muscle mass

Its the calorie total to everything on the list. The good majority comes from the granola as well as the sugar.
  • 2fast77
    Your body burns a certain amount of calories just by keeping you alive. Then you move, a little or a lot, through the day, and burn more calories. To lose weight, you need to, over time, eat fewer calories than you burn. This is something you just do, you don't try. In fact, it's better to set out to just do it. Logging your food intake - correctly - in your food diary and hitting your calorie goal - assuming that is set correctly too - each day, means that you will lose weight.

You can eat anything you want. Good nutrition is important for good health. A wide variety of foods from all the food groups is an easy way to get in good nutrition. But you can't just "eat healthy", you have to like the food you eat, too. So choose food you like, but don't eat too much. In order to not eat too much, you will have to choose a healthy diet anyway.

Toning is a confusing word. Your muscles grow when you systematically use and rest them, and they will be more visible as you lose fat.

This is great info but the information I was looking for was more to the point of does this breakfast aid or harm in what I'm looking to achieve?
  • 2fast77
    Do you enjoy it? Does it keep you feeling full? Does it allow you to fit other meals in to your day that also satiate and satisfy you?

I personally prefer to not eat breakfast most of the time. If I do, its not oats as I don't particularly enjoy them, and they don't satiate me at all (unless combined with loads of tasty ingredients which uses up lots of calories and leaves me with little left for the rest of the day)

Im not particular on oats and but the almond milk with a little vanilla in it really makes it more enjoyable without costing extra calories and what have you. And I believe ive done the same thing today with adding tasty stuff to make it palletable with the granola hahaha
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    2fast77 wrote: »

This is great info but the information I was looking for was more to the point of does this breakfast aid or harm in what I'm looking to achieve?
    You have to see your whole day/week as a whole. No meal makes or breaks your diet.
    You could, however, investigate whether the components of your breakfast constitutes a balanced meal - does it provide you with appropriate proportions of carbs, protein and fat? What is the green tea for? What's the granola made of? Are you allergic to dairy, or do you just like almond milk better? Do you get in fruit, vegetables, meat/fish/eggs later in the day? Do you need to watch sodium, sugar, trans fat and saturated fat? Did you know that you will get a way more accurate calorie count if you weigh your food instead of measuring it?
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Unless I'm not hungry, missing breakfast is a no. When I'm hungry I can't focus and I'm always hungry in the morning.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    It sounds like you're happy with it.

Personally, if I was "spending" 750 calories on breakfast I wouldn't want that. I would have peanut butter in my oats and eat a whole avocado. I don't even like granola. Everyone's different though.