intermittent fasting

Options
Does anyone do intermittent fasting?
Have you seen any changes ?
I try to stick to 16/8 frame but I'm flexible to 14/10 I used to wake up hungry for breakfast now I can wait it off. I'm looking to include one whole day of the week to fast probably Thursdays, it definitely worked before.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am loosely eating in a 6-8 hour window, and I have "seen" some major changes to my self-trust and discipline - I don't feel anxious if I have to wait for a meal, and an "end point" for eating stops the "internal battle". My appetite is usually harder to deal with than hunger, so it's perfect for me to just eat three meals a day and have breakfast a couple of hours after I wake up - or whenever I'm ready and hungry.
  • rakeru19
    rakeru19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great, I've heard that IF helps in maintaining your body fat percentage which is something that even athletes fluctuate with and I definitely have been more disciplined in my eating schedule while also noticing that I actually feel hungry as opposed to just eating because it's time to eat
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    IF is a meal timing schedule. Besides perhaps making it more likely that people will stick to their deficit, I don't think it has any other benefits to weight loss. I eat my meals in a small window as it fits my schedule. I've eaten like this to lose, maintain and when gaining...

This.

I've done various IF protocols for around 5 years now. It fits nicely with my eating style/preferences and then helps me with calorie adherence. It doesn't do anything besides that though.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    IF is fairly popular with folks here compared to the general population, in my experience. Most people discover and utilize it as a way to feel more satisfied from a limited amount of calories during their eating window. I usually eat on a 20/4 IF schedule. I lost 100 lbs on my last round of weight loss, and IF made it so much easier than trying to spread out my calories over a full day. We have an IF group if you're interested: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    rakeru19 wrote: »
    Great, I've heard that IF helps in maintaining your body fat percentage which is something that even athletes fluctuate with and I definitely have been more disciplined in my eating schedule while also noticing that I actually feel hungry as opposed to just eating because it's time to eat

Calorie intake helps maintain/manipulate bf %. Having a disciplined eating schedule is completely irrelevant for most people, it's how much you eat that matters.
    Being more mindful of your hunger and eating is great though, and partly why I eat less meals - I didn't have time to eat 6+ meals a day properly, food was just shovelled in at a certain time, usually in a hurry!