Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions!
  • Puzzl3dunicorn
    Puzzl3dunicorn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe on Pinterest the other day for butternut squash Alfredo that substitutes the squash for cream. I haven't tried it, but it sounded like a delightful concept
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to spare the calories or I don't feel like going to the store to get heavy cream I just use whole milk and less parm. Not as thick of course but it hits the spot well enough.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    so yum
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options

This is a recipe that I made up a few months ago. It's more of a description of how I winged it, than a real recipe, but this should work for anyone comfortable with cooking.

Shrimp Alfredo

I started with 2 pounds shrimp in the shell. Peeled the shrimp, set aside and made stock with the shells, enough water to barely cover, and a scrap of onion from the fridge. Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes, then drain.

First I sauteed 2 scallions , 4 oz mushroom slices and a lot of garlic, in about a teaspoon of butter, added peeled shrimp, about ½ cup of the shrimp stock and cooked til the shrimp was tender. Then I put the cooked shrimp aside while I cooked the rest of the dish. The sauce was shrimp stock made from the shells of the shrimp that went into it. Let it reduce a bit, then added 8 oz of al dente linguine and simmered a few minutes. Cut a zucchini into julienne slices and blanched in the pasta water. Added an 8 oz block of fat free cream cheese (Walmart), half a diced fresh tomato, and 2 tablespoons of grated parmesean, along with ground up green peppercorns to the simmering pasta/stock. It looked a little thin, so I thickened with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Finally, added the shrimp and blanched zucchini back in to reheat. This made 5 servings.

It was yum, under 300 calories, not including the shrimp, which were easier to track separately. This would also rock with chicken breast and stock
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Was waiting for people to mention the cauliflower alfredo sauces.

It tastes great if you want pasta with cauliflower, basically.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and make Alfredo sauce soon
  • havronab
    havronab Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ashbabe25 wrote: »

I second this one. I've made it numerous times and it tatstes indulgent, but the calories are reasonable.
  • emk129
    emk129 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A head of cauliflower
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 cups almond milk
    Cayenne pepper to taste (I like the spice)
    Nutritional yeast to make it a cheesy consistency
    Pinch of Himalayan sea salt to taste.

If using fresh cauliflower, cut into bite-sized floret pieces.

Put the cut cauliflower into a medium size pot and boil for approximately 15 minutes, or until very tender, then drain.

Put the cauliflower and remaining ingredients into a Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy.

Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, zoodles or any other recipe that calls for "alfredo sauce".

Enjoy!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You could also try just tossing the pasta with garlic butter and parmesan and adding the cooked chicken etc.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    ashbabe25 wrote: »

Or this

They're kinda the same
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower one is DELICIOUS, but it's not alfredo. In my opinion that's one sauce I would rather not mess with and just use a little bit less to coat instead of drowning.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've used this as a creamy pasta sauce- it's not Alfredo but it's yummy and is great if your goal is a thick, creamy sauce. I add a little parmesan on top.
    http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce

This is a "mac & cheese" recipe I absolutely love. It's nothing like mac & cheese (kinda annoys me they even call it that) but super-tasty and the sauce is creamy and delicious.
    https://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-mac-n-cheese-recipe/?pp=1
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    idc what they say, the cauliflower alfredo sauce i found on pinterest was the BOMB! I'm diabetic so was looking for lower carbs. It was thick, creamy, and tasted wonderful. The texture was slightly different but that doesn't bother me. I used it with zuchinni noodles or whole wheat fettucini.
  • Ashley_Nicole83
    Ashley_Nicole83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I saved this a one while ago, but I haven't made it yet.... It's Greek yogurt/ Parmesan based... http://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/greek-yogurt-alfredo-sauce/
  • xOlaf
    xOlaf Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love chicken alfredo. My go to is either "Classico" or "Bertolli" brand low-cal alfredo sauces as they make the best from what I've experienced. Usually I buy two jars and go home to cook up a bunch of chicken and heat up the alfredo sauce. Get 6 tupperwares and portion out my chicken and sauces. This comes out to approximately 250 calories or so. I freeze it and when I want some, I just put them in the microwave for a few minutes. What I save on calories is the "pasta". I chop up cabbage into thin shreds and boil it and add it to my alfredo sauce after draining. It comes out amazing and total cals is usually only around 350 cals for a big portion and it's VERY filling. You can try other variations, but I would definitely check out those brands for a good amount of sauce for lower calories.
  • nads_ayoub
    nads_ayoub Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fav food ever! Anyone got a recipe for Alfredo???

You can make alfredo without cheese and without cream and get the same taste and texture. Use part chicken stock and part low fat milk. Use a whisk and take it to a quick boil and then simmer until you reach the desired consistency. Can add Italian parsley at the end.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/?s=alfredo

She has some great, healthy alternatives to the real stuff.