Weight loss surgery: Yes or No?

Options
I joined MFP several years ago and did really well for a while. I lost 75 lbs over one year and never felt better in my life. But then I fell off the wagon and gained back all of that weight and then some. For reference, I am 300+ lbs.

Over the same time frame, I have had three different primary doctors (due to moving, not because I'm picky!) tell me the day I met them that I should have weight loss surgery. While I was losing weight in my own I said no to surgery, but now that I'm back where I started, I am beginning to reconsider.

My family of all normal-weighted people do not support me having surgery and I don't know if I can do it without their support.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    With weight loss surgery you need to be able to do what you'd need to do without as well: manage your weight. You can easily cheat by for example constantly eating chocolate paste. Plus you'd need to be on vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life, including vitamin B12 shots.
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Why not try the healthy eating approach for a period of time, see how it goes and then decide?
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You do need to stay on vitamins after surgery but you don't NEED shots. Just take vitamins.
    It won't solve a real eating disorder. If you're obsessed with eating ice cream, you'll still eat it, but...with gastric bypass, it may make you sick, which kind of takes the fun out of it.
    You'll get really full, super fast. Which means that if you fill up on protein, there's not a lot of time to eat garbage.
    I have a close friend who lost a lot of weight after surgery. She still has more to go but she indulges in a glass of alcohol once in a while (maybe once a day) and likes a frozen coffee drink a little too often. She still grabs some fast food, but doesn't eat a lot of it.
    So basically, she's not restricting herself at all and probably eating at maintenance because of it. However, she's lost almost 100 lbs and feels great.
    You do whatever you think will help you live longer and happier.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    no
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You have lost the weight before, you can do it again. MFP works. However, you have to do what is best for you. I just think you can save money by not having the surgery and use that money to buy yourself new clothes, you're going to need them. :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I joined MFP several years ago and did really well for a while. I lost 75 lbs over one year and never felt better in my life. But then I fell off the wagon and gained back all of that weight and then some. For reference, I am 300+ lbs.

Over the same time frame, I have had three different primary doctors (due to moving, not because I'm picky!) tell me the day I met them that I should have weight loss surgery. While I was losing weight in my own I said no to surgery, but now that I'm back where I started, I am beginning to reconsider.

My family of all normal-weighted people do not support me having surgery and I don't know if I can do it without their support.

What do you guys think?

Weight loss surgery alters your body but you still have to do the work to eat fewer calories and maintain that. The surgery has risks and side effects. I think you should use MFP and try losing with it for a year again and then see if you are ready for surgery or not. Either way you go you have to make changes for life and make an effort to maintain your loss.

Some things to think about:
    Why do you think you failed to maintain your weight after losing? You say you fell off the wagon. What was "the wagon"?
    Was your diet too restrictive and unsustainable? I think this happens a lot when people diet. This time don't change what you eat so much just portion sizes.
    Did you stop weighing yourself regularly?
    Did you stop logging?
    Did your lifestyle change? Did you start a more sedentary job or stop exercising?
    Are you an emotional eater? Work on developing new coping tools. Seek out therapy if you need to.
    Did you develop a medical problem or start a medication that changed things?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Always no, unless there is an immediate health risk.

Whether you do it or not, you'll have to learn to manage your food intake. It's a fact. If you do surgery and can't get a handle on that, you'll not only have wasted a lot of money, but you might end up with more health issues because of the surgery.

So either way... you're going to have to learn to eat better. Why waste all that money when you'll have to put in the same effort either way?

This.

Surgery does nothing to address the reasons why you struggle with your weight. I know several people who had various wls procedures done and they've regained all their weight back, plus some.
  • Cynt214
    Cynt214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree that if there isn’t an immediate need then don’t do it. Achieving a healthy weight and lifestyle require developing the proper balance between food, rest, exercise, and hydration. It takes time to develop these skills. Quick weight loss methods do not equal effective weight loss methods. Even the weight loss doctor would require that you lose a certain amount of weight before the surgery in order to be able to maintain structure after the surgery if you want to be successful in the long run. After all is said and done you will still need to learn the proper methods to lose and maintain. So why not just do it on your own?
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is anecdotal evidence, so take it with a grain of salt. I've personally known three people who have had the surgery. Of those three, two of them are as big or bigger than they were before. And all three of them have a whole host of other health issues, that were either a direct result of, or were at least aggravated by the surgery. The two that gained it back gained because they could not handle the new dietary restrictions and reverted back to their old poor diet as soon as they were able. The third one hasn't gained, but she is miserable anyway, losing the weight was supposed to fix her health issues, but she still has a lot of them and more besides.

I would love to see actual numbers on long term (7-10+ years later) success rates and patient satisfaction.

I would not do it. As others have said, maybe it's time to speak to a therapist.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Having surgery is a personal choice and differs for many. I know of several friends and family members who have gone through the surgery. Out of the 5 people I know 4 have gained all the weight back plus some because they did not get their mind right with food. They used the surgery as a way to get thin in a hurry but never changed their relationships with food. The one person who had the surgery who has kept is off completely changed his lifestyle the year before having the surgery and he has been able to sustain that loss for over 3 years now. You say you lost 75lb once before and fell off the wagon. You obviously put the work into losing the weight so you need to figure out why you failed in keeping it off. Was it your relationship with food, was it because you were stressed out? are you an emotional eater? Like the above poster said I would ask myself those questions and take a deep look into what you really want. Surgery is no easy fix, its brutal on your body and to put yourself through it when you are not mentally ready to make a change in your lifestyle for GOOD is only going to end in failure as the surgery is not going to change any of the things that caused you to gain the back this time around. I am a lifer in yo you diets, gain lose, gain again until I took a step back and asked myself the hard questions and decided I couldn't continue this destructive cycle. If it was me, I wouldn't do the surgery... but as I said when i started this post, it is a personal choice and differs for many. Good luck!
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess the general consensus is for me to spend time trying to lose weight on my own again for now and see where it goes from there. My current primary doctor basically told me that "there is no other alternative" than to have surgery but I think he's wrong. I can lose the weight on my own. (And KEEP it off, preferably!).

This was the issue one of my bariatric acquaintances ran into. Both she and the Drs who talked her into it fell pray to the erroneous belief that health=slim. It does not. Yes there are health issues associated with higher body fat percentages, but not everyone who is overweight is otherwise unhealthy and not everyone who is slim is necessarily healthy.

She didn't change much other than the surgery, and while she is indeed smaller, and before she ate too many calories, comparatively she was much much healthier before the surgery. She wasn't making very many smart healthy food choices before and neither she nor the "professionals" who claimed to be helping her put much effort into helping her learn otherwise. And now that it's too late to go back the surgery has complicated her ability to actually be healthy. She's dealing with malabsorption issues and will likely always struggle to get proper nutrition.

I had to get healthy to lose weight, I didn't lose weight to get healthy.

I think so many Drs push the surgery because they believe it will mean they will be less likely to deal with any weight related health issues you may already have or might eventually develop. Basically he's trying to make you someone else's problem. He's looking at you as a set of numbers and stats on a chart. Not as a person. You don't have to put up with that. If he won't see YOU, then try to find someone who will.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

What do you guys think?
    If you gained the weight back, it's because of eating behavior. Weight loss surgery DOESN'T address your mental eating behavior, which it's why it's NOT UNCOMMON for people to have had it done, to slowly regain weight again after an initial big weight loss.
    And remember, it's surgery. Once you get it done, there's nothing you can do to reverse it. Think long and hard about future about it.
    Weight loss is about calories in and out and if you can address why you overeat, then you can learn a behavior to learn how to eat less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png