Accuracy in logging food

Options
Hi All, just wondering how you accurately log weighed food instead of the generic portion .TIA

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Weigh it, then log it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Weigh it, find a gram entry or do the math and then log it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Weigh it, find a gram entry or do the math and then log it.

^This.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I make my own "My Food" entry with the package information. Then I weigh it. If it's off, I use quick add calories. I also have a My Food entry for calories (1 serving = 1 calorie).

If something is consistently off (I'm looking at you, eggs), I edit the entry, and change all the values to reflect the common gram weight.

Some times I decide to input something based on 100 calories so I do the math, find out how many grams, how much fat, protein, carbohydrates, etc. and use that as one serving. For instance, the package serving for almonds is 28g - 170 calories. Mine is 16g - 100 calories.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    tgcakef wrote: »
    I make my own "My Food" entry with the package information. Then I weigh it. If it's off, I use quick add calories. I also have a My Food entry for calories (1 serving = 1 calorie).

If something is consistently off (I'm looking at you, eggs), I edit the entry, and change all the values to reflect the common gram weight.

Some times I decide to input something based on 100 calories so I do the math, find out how many grams, how much fat, protein, carbohydrates, etc. and use that as one serving. For instance, the package serving for almonds is 28g - 170 calories. Mine is 16g - 100 calories.
    Why do you use servings?

I use My Foods with the package or USDA information as well and, after that, I completely ignore the suggested serving sizes and I only need to change the nutrition fact values if the manufacturer changes them. I weigh out the amount I want and enter that in my food log before I eat. That gives me the chance to see the calories/macros for the amount I chose and then adjust my portion up or down if I want to do so before it's been consumed.

From your almond example, I'd weigh out how many I wanted (let's say enough to weigh 16 grams) and set the units to 1 gram increments and enter 16. If I wanted a couple more and they weighed 21 grams, I'd enter 21.

It took me months of practice and reading the MFP forums to learn to do it that way (I used to aim for the exact weights of servings) but it's much easier to just weigh and enter the gram amount.
  • tinajlee
    tinajlee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps
  • tgcakef
    edited August 2017
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Why do you use servings?

I use My Foods with the package or USDA information as well and, after that, I completely ignore the suggested serving sizes and I only need to change the nutrition fact values if the manufacturer changes them. I weigh out the amount I want and enter that in my food log before I eat. That gives me the chance to see the calories/macros for the amount I chose adjust my portion up or down before it's been consumed.

From your almond example, I'd weigh out how many I wanted (let's say enough to weigh 16 grams) and set the units to 1 gram increments and enter 16. If I wanted a couple more and they weighed 21 grams, I'd enter 21.

It took me months of practice and reading the MFP forums to learn to do it that way (I used to aim for the exact weights of servings) but it's much easier to just weigh and enter the gram amount.

It messes up my macros. This way is easier for me to keep track of everything.

Are your macros always accurate?

Edit: Also messes up my calories. And my math is correct, just double checked.
  • tinajlee
    tinajlee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheers, just bloody found it..... now I know.... I'm such an idiot
  • seska422
    edited August 2017
    Options

Why do you use servings?

I use My Foods with the package or USDA information as well and, after that, I completely ignore the suggested serving sizes and I only need to change the nutrition fact values if the manufacturer changes them. I weigh out the amount I want and enter that in my food log before I eat. That gives me the chance to see the calories/macros for the amount I chose adjust my portion up or down before it's been consumed.

I'm sure your math is fine but you don't need it. MFP will do the math for you.

As an example, I had pineapple chunks today. The nutrition facts serving size is 122 grams and that gives 70 calories and 16 carbs for those 122 grams. I weighed out 158 grams of it and entered that (158 with a 1 gram unit) into MFP. My food diary shows 91 calories and 21 carbs. My 158 grams was about 1.3 servings but I didn't need to know or calculate that since I used the 1 gram increment.
  • tgcakef
    edited August 2017
    Options

Why do you use servings?

As an example, I had pineapple chunks today. The nutrition facts serving size is 122 grams and that gives 70 calories and 16 carbs for those 122 grams. I weighed out 158 grams of it and entered that (158 with a 1 gram unit) into MFP. My food diary shows 91 calories and 21 carbs. My 158 grams was about 1.3 servings but I didn't need to know or calculate that since I used the 1 gram increment.

Don't you have to put in 1 gram's worth first though? Like 1 gram is X calories, Y carbs, etc.? That's where it bungles it for me. I've put in 1 gram's worth but when I try to make it 16g it messes up the numbers.

Edit: Okay I just found how to pick a gram. I am so dumb xD

Thank you!
  • seska422
    Options

Why do you use servings?

Don't you have to put in 1 gram's worth first though? Like 1 gram is X calories, Y carbs, etc.? That's where it bungles it for me. I've put in 1 gram's worth but when I try to make it 16g it messes up the numbers.

Thank you!
    You're welcome!

You aren't dumb. It's a learning experience. Now you know.
  • seska422
    Options
    tinajlee wrote: »
    Cheers, just bloody found it..... now I know.... I'm such an idiot
    You aren't an idiot. It took me months to be really comfortable logging and there are still tricks that I don't know yet, I'm sure.
  • tgcakef
    Options

Why do you use servings?

Thank you!
    You're welcome!

You aren't dumb. It's a learning experience. Now you know.

This makes things so much easier! If you can't tell, I'm fairly excited about it xD