Need help with eating the right foods?

The calories are probably off, but this is usually what I eat in a day. I don't know much about dieting or eating healthy. Would like some advice , thank you!
85k555v39eb2.png
6mjqalfv881r.png
bcbc5k1wsky2.png
mhkji45649wa.png

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    That doesn't seem like a lot, please don't under eat.

Advice my dietician gave me was to eat balanced meals, so including as many elements as I could per meal. So for breakfast I'll have half a bagel with a tbsp of peanut butter, a serving or two of fruit and a serving of greek yogurt. All you need to do to lose weight is to eat somewhat less than what you burn. So whatever MFP gives you in way of daily calories, eat a little under that. Eat back only a little bit of your exercise calories. If the weight isn't dropping after a few weeks or month, adjust accordingly.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    For a girl it's to many carbs, I don't see any veggies and clean meat.
    Doesn't look healthy!

Absolutely nothing wrong with carbs themselves. I've lost 130lbs with 50-60% of my daily calories coming from carbs. If they keep you satiated eat them, if they don't, eat what does. It's a matter of personal taste.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I think the calories are completely off, and if you're using those to determine you're intake, you're eating more than you think. You seem to eat a lot of small meals - this is fine, but a better balance may help you

I would add more vegetables, and eat less bread.
    Eg.

-omelette with vegies instead of scrambled egg.
    -Meat and salad sandwich/wrap, or Chicken with vegies.
    -Bulk the curry up with loads of vegies

-Protien based snacks over bread based snacks.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Get some more protein: beans, lentils,
    Some days add green leafy veggies: Kale, cabbage, spinach, romaine, swiss chard,
    Also broccoli, squash, zucchini,

Beautiful pictures :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think the calories are completely off, and if you're using those to determine you're intake, you're eating more than you think. You seem to eat a lot of small meals - this is fine, but a better balance may help you

I would add more vegetables, and eat less bread.
    Eg.

-omelette with vegies instead of scrambled egg.
    -Meat and salad sandwich/wrap, or Chicken with vegies.
    -Bulk the curry up with loads of vegies

-Protien based snacks over bread based snacks.

This.

Main thing, not an accurate way to estimate calories, and photos of one day doesn't really give us a sense.

How many meals do you want to eat and given your calorie goal what size are they?

I tend to build meals around a source of protein, a lot of vegetables, and then whatever strikes my fancy as extra to fill out the meal to my desired calorie goal (you seem to enjoy bread, and that's one option).

If you are eating protein with sauces (the baked chicken) or curries, then you need to estimate the calories in those (they often can include a lot of fat so be high cal, for example), and that depends on the details -- if you are cooking them, creating a recipe, at least at first so you get an idea, is important.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Doesn't look healthy!

What on earth is 'clean' meat?

Op-just by looking at the pictures your calories don't match-they seem really low on most of the pictures. How are you figuring the calorie amounts? Are you weighing everything on a food scale?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Doesn't look healthy!

What on earth is 'clean' meat?

From experience on MFP, it seems to be used in two different ways:

(a) lean meat (this is silly and I think it's just confusion since they rhyme, but some clean eaters seem to think leaner meats are less processed or something, which is obviously false -- skinless, boneless chicken breast is more processed than many fattier cuts, for example); or

(2) meat without sauce

I suspect the latter might be what is meant here, but I think that shows a lack of understanding of cooking or traditional cooking methods, since obviously many home cooks may make sauces, there's nothing inherently more processed or unhealthy about them (they are often high cal, but not always, and if that's what you mean admit it, don't pretend it's about "clean").

Many people in the US/UK largely know curries from restaurants or pre-made meals, but it's obviously possible to make them at home and quite common in India and Pakistan, etc. To claim such foods are not clean is, well, problematic. I'm not assuming the poster means to do that, of course, but am raising possible cultural biases.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Doesn't look healthy!

Rationale for this?
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I agree with the posters who suggest cutting back on bread and adding vegetables. I also agree that protein is probably too low.

Did you use the recipe builder to figure the calories in the dosas and chicken curry? I'm concerned about the calories listed for the curry. For so few calories, one serving can't have enough protein to keep you from losing muscle. Did you use oil to toast your spices? Did you add coconut milk? Fats aren't automatically bad, and they can help you feel full, but the likelihood that there is pretty much fat in there is why I don't trust the calorie count.

If you don't mind sharing your recipe for the chicken, please list the ingredients and I can help figure out how to make it more nutritious without sacrificing taste.