Need help losing more than 1 lb a week

Options
I am currently losing 1 lb a week. I put in I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. What's the deal? Do I need less calories to lose?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh enough to lose 2 lbs a week? You need a large amount to lose to be able to create a large enough deficit for 2 lbs a week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? What is your calorie goal set to? For many people 2 pounds a week is too aggressive.
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Each pound lost is a deficit of 3500 calories. Whether you get that deficit from eating less or exercising more doesn't matter. If you exercise and burn off calories it is the same as not eating them. You have to check your basal metabolic rate to find out what it takes to keep your body running. A loss of 2 lbs a week is very ambitious! It means the body is eating up 7000 calories of fat. Good luck!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    1lb a week loss is great. I lose a quarter to half a pound when I want to lose or I feel like I'm on a diet.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I lose .5-1 pound a week and it's great!! Slower is often more sustainable and works the best for me. But yes, if you want to lose more than you are, you have to eat less or move more. If you don't have a food scale, you might be eating more than you think you are.
  • Stephdawn78
    Stephdawn78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What are your stats? What is your calorie goal set to? For many people 2 pounds a week is too aggressive.

I currently weigh 178. My calories are set for 1380
  • Stephdawn78
    Options
    jacobsl221 wrote: »
    Each pound lost is a deficit of 3500 calories. Whether you get that deficit from eating less or exercising more doesn't matter. If you exercise and burn off calories it is the same as not eating them. You have to check your basal metabolic rate to find out what it takes to keep your body running. A loss of 2 lbs a week is very ambitious! It means the body is eating up 7000 calories of fat. Good luck!

Thanks!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Depending on your activity level, that appears to be in the 1.5 to 2 pound per week range (750-1,000 daily calorie deficit).

How long have you been on your current diet? I'd give it a few weeks at least.
  • Stephdawn78
    Options
    Since June 1
  • Stephdawn78
    Options
    Do you weigh enough to lose 2 lbs a week? You need a large amount to lose to be able to create a large enough deficit for 2 lbs a week.

I weigh 178
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

2 pounds a week is generally recommended when you have more than 75 pounds to lose. You're not big enough.