Protein Shake with water vs milk???

Options
I want to gain muscle. I recently cut calories for 13 months to lose 51 pounds. Now 5 foot 10 inches and 176 pounds. Was eating 1500 calories a day. Now I will eat around 2600. Do I use milk or just water?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Use whatever fits your calorie goals. I use pineapple juice because I like the taste.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Water is fine.
    Milk will add a little to the nutrients.
    Any fruit juice will add a lot of sugar.Fruit juice = remove the fruit's fiber,and add sugar.
    Whey is a fast absorption protein.A multi blended protein will be slow absorption over whey.That's not really a good,or bad thing.Just depends on what you want.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Milk adds a significant amount of protein to the shake. It also adds calories. So it depends on which of those factors are a higher priority for you.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I personally use whole milk.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Use whatever fits your calorie goals. I use pineapple juice because I like the taste.

I mix mine in Greek yogurt because it makes me feel like it is a dessert.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you need calories, protein, and picking up heavy things. Protein powder has calories, protein, and often comes in 2 lb tubs. That's probably not heavy enough.

Unless you use 2 tubs worth, then fill them with cement. You could use them for all sorts of lifts!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I prefer water over milk, but that is mostly due to taste -- when I mix with milk it tastes far too sweet to me.
  • tamme123
    tamme123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about almond milk?
  • ajt060491
    ajt060491 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always use water, purely for taste preference. And oddly enough, I prefer the water to be room temperature. Mixes better!
  • rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I always use milk! The casein in it helps it release into the system slower than with water! PLUS I prefer the taste when its made with milk!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened almond milk best - it comes out creamier but doesn't add as much to the calories as milk-milk.

If I use water (when I run out of almond milk!) then I don't use too much, or it comes out all tasteless and yucky.

Personal preference really...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When mixed with water they taste like sadness...
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I use water, always have. I find that when mixed with other stuff they come out too think for my liking.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    rlilly697 wrote: »
    I always use milk! The casein in it helps it release into the system slower than with water! PLUS I prefer the taste when its made with milk!

Lucky you, I am, sadly, allergic to the casien a1 protien.