coffee

Options

Replies

• ebyrne1996
    ebyrne1996 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I switched to whole milk from cream, and now I'm down to using 1%! Probably about 30 calories per cup now! And I buy high quality coffee
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I switched to flavored coffee and just drink it black. I could down some creamer! LOL I have to not even buy it.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I tried coffee with milk, then I tried coffee with creamer, and then with other flavorings and I just can't do it. It has to be black.
  • djslais
    djslais Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yeah, the creamer is a killer. Get back to straight black coffee, like most things sweet, it'll take a bit of time to lose the craving.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Where I live, the plastic tubs of half and half also get called "creamers" - as in "I put two creamers in my coffee this morning." So half and half is not "creamer" but the little tubs sometimes are. Even though they're not cream OR creamer.

ALthough they also sell non-dairy flavored coffee whitener as a liquid in little tubs, and that would be "coffee creamer." Its even the same brand as the powder.

I hate powdered creamer, and half-and-half is not my favorite. And I know this is regional, because on visits to Canada we often get whole milk in the little plastic tubs rather than half-and-half.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened soy milk in my coffee. It's mild flavor doesn't compete so much with the flavor of the coffee.

If you only like your coffee heavily adulterated with a flavored creamer then maybe the problem is the coffee. Experiment to find a roast you like. Most American supermarket coffees are medium roast. I like a darker roast or a blend.

Right now, my go to is a mix of New England Coffee Colombian Supremo and Peet's dark roast. I used to get BiLo's Southern Home "Fog Cutter." To me, both Starbucks and McDonald's burn their coffee. Back in my smoking/drinking days, I drank Medalia D'oro or Cafe Bustelo (both espressos) brewed as a regular coffee. That's hard core.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    If you have good coffee, you don't need creamer. I suggest investing in an espresso machine (or a Bialetti) and start enjoying stronger coffee with less calories. I am a fan of half and half though when I want a creamier coffee, 2tbsps is 40 cals.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon of half & half. 20 calories.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I can relate to the International Delights coffee creamer. And pumpkin spice season is coming soon! ack! lol

That said...I have cut down on mine quite a bit. The first thing I did was actually measure what I was putting in my cup (usually I just pour until the color is right). Well that was an eye opener! :o Once I knew it was about three tablespoons (yes, really) then I cut it down to two. Drank it like that for a week or so and then cut down to one tablespoon of creamer and then some regular milk. This is how I'm drinking it now and it's good enough.

The other interesting thing I discovered was that I can drink iced coffee unsweetened, but not hot coffee. Same with iced tea. So I've been having my second cup a bit later in the morning and putting it on ice, and that's worked well. The only caveat to that is that it's been 100+ degrees outside so psychologically iced coffee is a good idea even with the AC in the house. But once winter comes...well we will see. lol
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Start by at least cutting down on the amount of creamer - 100 calories is at least 4 single-serve tubs worth of creamer. You can try adding a packet of splenda to make up for less creamer.

Or maybe try tea (if you are adding that much flavored creamer, I'm guessing you don't actually like the taste of coffee - and less sugar/sweetener/creamer tends to go further in tea).
  • Aisling826
    Aisling826 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use 2 tablespoons of half and half (sometimes only 1, depends what I feel like) and about 3-4 drops of flavored liquid stevia (I also have some unflavored). The stevia is really concentrated and I don't like my coffee super sweet. I don't think the drops have the after taste I get from powdered stevia. Right now my favorite flavor is the English Toffee, but I have Pumpkin spice I'm saving for the fall. Since I only add a few drops, I get a really subtle flavor. I usually drink 2 cups a day and log it as 45 cals per cup.

I'm also experimenting with different brands of coffee.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I use 2 tablespoons half and half (40 cals) and 2 teaspoons sugar (15 cals) so each cup of coffee is 70 calories. I always fit in 2 cups per day. If you want to drink sweet coffee you can, you might just have to cut back on the number of cups per day. Frankly I would rather have 2 cups of sweet coffee at 140 cals than 8 cups of black coffee. I used to just free pour until I got the right color, but now I always measure out the 2 tablespoons. I was surprised that I was actually pretty close because my coffee is the right color and taste just fine when I measure the half and half.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use 40 calories worth of half and half, then add in the sugar free Torani syrup for flavor and zero calories. That's two cups of coffee in the morning for a total of 80 calories. The syrups come in hazelnut, caramel, and vanilla (and many other flavors) so I'm a happy camper.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use 40 calories worth of half and half, then add in the sugar free Torani syrup for flavor and zero calories. That's two cups of coffee in the morning for a total of 80 calories. The syrups come in hazelnut, caramel, and vanilla (and many other flavors) so I'm a happy camper.

Echoing the Torani Sugar Free syrups. I've seen the standard flavors listed here in stores, but if you order online they have tons more. I love the Smores and English toffee flavors.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Aisling826 wrote: »
    I use 2 tablespoons of half and half (sometimes only 1, depends what I feel like) and about 3-4 drops of flavored liquid stevia (I also have some unflavored). The stevia is really concentrated and I don't like my coffee super sweet. I don't think the drops have the after taste I get from powdered stevia. Right now my favorite flavor is the English Toffee, but I have Pumpkin spice I'm saving for the fall. Since I only add a few drops, I get a really subtle flavor. I usually drink 2 cups a day and log it as 45 cals per cup.

I have seen those Stevia drops in the store before and been curious but never got myself to try them. I have been eyeing up the pumpkin spice ones to add to my coffee with my usually almond milk creamer. Are they everything I hope they'd be? lol
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    Speaking as a Brit (or maybe just an ignoramus) what is creamer?

If you google "International Delight single serve half and half" you will see pictures of the containers. They are 10 calories each, but they have a pitifully small amount of liquid in them, so one ends up adding two or three to one cup of coffee, which adds up.

That said, I spent a delightful week in France earlier this year, but the creamer containers they sell in their grocery stores were disgusting. A shame, considering how wonderful their breads are!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Quality coffee doesn't really need anything...I personally want to taste the coffee. I'll occasionally throw in a splash of 1/2 and 1/2, particularly if it's a dark roast and my wife makes it...
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lol, we brew our coffee with a dash of cinnamon, a pinch of ground red pepper and a sprinkle of salt. I'm so glad I never picked up he extra calorie creamer or flavour habit!
  • jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Creamer make it taste even better than starbucks when you just pour it in and wait till the coffee turns a nice creamy color. But, it is sooo high in calories that way! I measure 1 1/2 tbs per cup, its okay, definately not as tasty as skipping the measuring but its liveable. I'm thinking of trying it instead with a splash of vanilla soymilk next.
  • Aisling826
    Aisling826 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aisling826 wrote: »

I have seen those Stevia drops in the store before and been curious but never got myself to try them. I have been eyeing up the pumpkin spice ones to add to my coffee with my usually almond milk creamer. Are they everything I hope they'd be? lol

I like them. But keep in mind, I haven't used flavored coffee creamers so don't know how they compare. I think the flavor is subtle, but I also use very little since I don't care for overly sweet coffee in the morning. I do occasionally get a Vanilla latte (or pumpkin, yum) from Starbucks but those I consider dessert, not really morning coffee.

I get the Sweet Leaf Stevia brand. They are expensive but those little glass bottles are going to last me forever. I also have Vanilla creme and plain. I have the plain for tea. I haven't tried the Pumpkin spice yet. I have my eye on the chocolate and mint flavors for peppermint mochas this winter.