Weighing food - oz vs g

I've been using the oz setting on my food scale, but I just wondered if there was a recommendation between either oz or grams. I don't have a preference, just wondering if one was recommended over the other, or if they're both fine so long as you're weighing & logging.

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Grams!
  • drakedeborah3384
    drakedeborah3384 Posts: 7 Member
    Grams!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Grams get you down to smaller increments, so they're more accurate.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    grams
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Grams is more accurate
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    My scale goes to the hundredth of an ounce. Therefore, ounces are actually more a more sensitive measure for me, since a hundredth of an ounce is less than a gram.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I like that grams are in smaller unit increments but the main attraction of grams is that grams are what are listed in the Nutrition Facts for all solids and many liquids in the US so there's no conversion necessary.

My scale has ounces but I've never used that setting.
  • bigbutt49
    bigbutt49 Posts: 2 Member
    My scale weighs ounces so I have to convert to grams when I list my protein, the question is there any way to change my grams to ounces on the food chart?
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    GRAMS!!! It's more precise. 28 grams = 1oz but if your scale is only in oz, you could really be weighing anything from 29grams to 30 something.
  • RobD520
    GRAMS!!! It's more precise. 28 grams = 1oz but if your scale is only in oz, you could really be weighing anything from 29grams to 30 something.

Not my scale. 100% of the time when it says "1.00" ounces, when I then switch to grams is says "28".
  • Rosie3660
    Rosie3660 Posts: 4 Member
    @RobD520 - A bit off topic - but I'm thinking about buying a scale. What brand/model are you using? Is this ok to ask? I'm new here.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Rob, your scales are the exception. I do all my recipes for children's birthday, and Christmas cakes and things in ounces, I have most of them down to memory.

Which is bigger 14g or half an ounce. To me half an ounce seems small, even stingy, where as I could kid myself 14g is greater.

Most scales are more accurate than the balance ones I grew up with. It came down to judging the pans as level not one side right down. Best wishes to someone using balances, your eyes must be better than mine.

(actually, I think my scales would to, if I did not have to turn it upside down to change the values, no that the ones in the bathroom, (giggle at thought of food everywhere) still think grams give me a helpful elusion)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've been using the oz setting on my food scale, but I just wondered if there was a recommendation between either oz or grams. I don't have a preference, just wondering if one was recommended over the other, or if they're both fine so long as you're weighing & logging.

For ease, whatever the entries for that item tend to be in (harder to find liquor entries in grams versus ounces for instance), BUT do make sure you are using 2 decimal points on ounces (0.1 oz is almost 3 grams, which makes a big difference on calorie-dense stuff like oils).

ETA: but do check the accuracy, resolution, and minimum accurate measurement on your particular scale for the 2.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Nutrition labels in the US give the equivalents to volumetric measure in grams. For example, a serving of Fiber One cereal is listed as "1/2 cup (30g)." I don't bother to dirty a measuring cup for cereal. I just put the bowl on the scale, tare to zero, and pour in 30 grams worth. If I want 1/4 a cup of milk on that cereal, and milk is mostly water, 56 (or 2 x 28) grams of milk is about a quarter cup. Again, no need to get out a measuring cup. I switch back and forth depending on what is easier.

When I add a handful of raisins to my bowl of cereal, I try to come close to 1 ounce but my handfuls aren't that reliable. I let the scale tell me how many grams of raisins I've thrown in and then use a fraction of the 100 gram raisins listing as the number of servings. So, if I grabbed 34 grams of raisins, I just list my servings number as .34 of the 100 gram listing.

Let's say I'm hungry for yogurt at the end of the day and I have 89 calories left. I can use my calculator online to figure out how much yogurt will stay under that 89 calories. My favorite yogurt is 280 calories for 227 grams. I divide 89 by 280 -- that gives me what portion of a serving is 89 calories. I then multiply that by how much a serving weighs and I find that 89/280 x 227 = approx. 72 grams. So, I can measure a 72 gram serving of yogurt into a bowl on the scale and BINGO, I have 89 calories of yogurt.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I like to do my meat in ounces and most other things in grams. (My meat servings per meal are usually 8+ oz, so I just can't be bothered dealing with grams there).
  • RobD520
    @rosie3660 I purchased mine on Amazon. The brand name is "Ozeri". I don't remember the exact price; but it was under 10 dollars. There are many god ones to chose from.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    I go by the unit of measurement on the serving size. If it tells me a serving is 4 oz, I weigh out 4 oz, if it says a serving is 28 grams, I weigh 28 grams

Same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You could do either...I've personally not found it necessary to weigh everything to the gram...while it is more precise, that level of precision isn't really necessary IMO. I typically weigh in grams when grams is what is listed on the label as a serving...otherwise I just use ounces and I'm no worse for it...