Do you measure/ weigh your food?

Options
2»

Replies

• HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I do. As a matter of fact, sometimes I will eat out of the measuring cups in order not to dirty another dish. I also count out veggies chips as I eat them (in my head of course). lol.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I did for a long time, but finally felt like I was able to eyeball things. Now, years later, I'm thinking I need to measure stuff again because it's probably sneaked up over time. Besides, my husband (who's also doing this) keeps disagreeing with my estimates (he always thinks I'm over-estimating, I think he's not aware of how little 1 oz of cheese really is!)

Would love recommendations for a good, inexpensive food scale!

It's all about pereception...I am surprised at how big an ounce of cheese actually is!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If I have to guess how much food it is. I weigh it. To me, a food scale is more important than an HRM. Part of how we got this way was we were eating more than we thought we were. With a food scale, and you can get them for less than $15, there's no excuse not to know.
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for almost 4 months and I still weigh everything!! I will weigh before I measure e.g. instead of 1 cup of cereal I prefer to measure out the 54 grams (it is way more accurate). My family also finds me crazy for it but I WILL NOT go back to how I looked before and if this is my tool to do it then too bad for them!!
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I do. I love my food scale.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do too and it sometimes drives my Wife nuts but I can't eyeball either and I would eventually find myself cheating if I didn't so I use it as a self check.
    I've taken my scales on the road when I travel for business or pleasure.
    I just ignore people looking at me and feel happier in myself that it's the lifestyle I choose for myself.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Measure and weigh. It can be a problem when eating out then I have to eyeball portion sizes and if in doubt I take some of it home or just leave it on the plate. But then usually my hubby will finish it off!!! :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eyeball just about everything. But I have a frighteningly accurate eye for proportions. I can tell what size a picture frame is from across a crowded flea market, and crop images in photoshop to within single digit pixels of the size I want. When I worked at an animal hospital, and had to prepare prescriptions, it was creepy how many times I poured out the exact number of pills I needed into the pill counter tray.

If only I had the same skill for picking lotto numbers. :grumble:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Always, and it keeps me on track in a way nothing else does. Keeps me totally aware of what and how much I'm eating, and somehow, when it becomes about the numbers, it makes it much easier for me to say, "No, I can't have that much--cut it down by a third."

Kris
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eyeball just about everything. But I have a frighteningly accurate eye for proportions. I can tell what size a picture frame is from across a crowded flea market, and crop images in photoshop to within single digit pixels of the size I want. When I worked at an animal hospital, and had to prepare prescriptions, it was creepy how many times I poured out the exact number of pills I needed into the pill counter tray.

If only I had the same skill for picking lotto numbers. :grumble:

Wow thats amazing! Me, I totally fail at this. I am the complete opposite. That is why I use the scale whenever I can. I skip it at family dinners etc., and my family sometimes makes a little fun of me, but its all OK. I know why Im doing it!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I measure somethings but most of the time i just guess. Probably not the "right" way but whatever.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I use the food scale as a first option, measuring cups/spoons as a second (unless it's something like a condiment which is measured in those increments), and eyeball if I have no other options.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    weigh and measure all the way!
    Keeps me honest and my calories as accurate as possible.

I want to lose it, and I am committed.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for almost 4 months and I still weigh everything!! I will weigh before I measure e.g. instead of 1 cup of cereal I prefer to measure out the 54 grams (it is way more accurate). My family also finds me crazy for it but I WILL NOT go back to how I looked before and if this is my tool to do it then too bad for them!!

I agree about weighing vs. using volumes (cups, tablespoons, etc.). Anyone that tells you it is crazy needs to check themselves. I mean when you make a recipe don't measure things? Once it becomes a habit it really does not take that much time.
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    I weigh and measure almost everything. I don't usually weigh or measure my fruits or veggies, though. But I definitely weight pasta, cheese, fish, etc. I can get myself into a lot of trouble by trying to eyeball everything.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do. As a matter of fact, sometimes I will eat out of the measuring cups in order not to dirty another dish.

Doing that RIGHT NOW with some soynuts. I measure calorie dense foods especially, but don't weigh. I'm pretty good at eyeballing
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I measure some things: salad dressing, PEANUT BUTTER, cereal in the morning. Little things like that. Fruits and veggies I don't. I don't have a scale so I do volume measure.

Maybe things would be better if I measured cheese etc, but I learned what 1 ounce was by taking a fresh block and seeing what 1/8th was.

Not perfect, but it works for me!
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    dont always weigh / measure stuff but last fortnight have been weighing everything. i think it makes you more aware of what your eating
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    I did not, just try to be over-cautious on sizes, but since I am concerned that I under-estimate, I got my kitchen scale today! Since I eat a lot outside, I will just use it to learn better portion sizes and will only weigh things at home. I usually try, if possible, also to be ca. 100 cal at least below my net goal, to be on the safe side... since I am convinced that I am under-estimating portions in many cases and over-estimating exercise sometimes.
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    I did not, just try to be over-cautious on sizes, but since I am concerned that I under-estimate, I got my kitchen scale today! Since I eat a lot outside, I will just use it to learn better portion sizes and will only weigh things at home. I usually try, if possible, also to be ca. 100 cal at least below my net goal, to be on the safe side... since I am convinced that I am under-estimating portions in many cases and over-estimating exercise sometimes.

By the way, today with my scale found out that I am overcautious, but not too much... a small pita estimated at 40 g is in reality 33 g, and I logged it 120 cal, while in reality it is 107 cal... i was overestimating on fruit, maybe that's why my sugar consumption was always so high when I had any fruit - the 40 cherries that I counted for 200 cal, are in reality 250 g, which is 125 cal... Hope, I will not have too many surprises on the negative side!