Starting keto

Options
I'm on day 10 of a ketogenic eating plan, recommended by my sister and endorsed by my doctor ("Try it for 2-3 months and we'll see how your labs look. If it works for you, go for it!"). I need to lose at least 25 lbs by mid-October to get my BMI low enough to qualify for knee replacement, but I'm also a type 2 diabetic and have some other health issues as well.

In the past, I've weighed up to 360+. I had gastric bypass ten years ago, and I've maintained about a 100 lb. loss (was down further but gained back about 40 lbs - still, 100 lbs is a huge improvement!). I know that on a low-carb diet my blood lipids improved, I had better control of my blood glucose, and my arthritis and inflammation were much reduced - so I have great hopes for this way of eating. So far the honeymoon phase has been great, and I'm down 5-6 pounds. We'll see how it goes.

Replies

• roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hope it works for you! I started the same way of eating today because I've heard it helps with IBS. All day I haven't had a stomach ache after eating so I think it's a positive thing.

Good luck!
  • ReemTWJ
    ReemTWJ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stay on track with it and you will see wonderful results, especially with your DM2!
    roserly wrote: »
    I hope it works for you! I started the same way of eating today because I've heard it helps with IBS. All day I haven't had a stomach ache after eating so I think it's a positive thing.

Good luck!

It did wonders for my IBS, i stopped having morning runs to the bathroom, and more diahrrea/constipation rollercoasters.
  • sarahbecks_
    sarahbecks_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've been keto for about 6 weeks now, and currently down 20lbs. Let me tell you that this was the best decision I have ever made. The beginning was hard since all I have ever known is carbs. I love bread, pasta and potatoes, I wasn't sure at the beginning how I was going to be able to live without it. It was a tough start but I powered through the first week and I don't even miss those things anymore. My sweet tooth cravings have basically disappeared and I haven't felt better.

Best of luck to you and your journey!
  • temikaf9
    temikaf9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody. This is day 1 of my keto journey.
  • rhbaucom
    rhbaucom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of my keto diet here also. Any recommendations of keto friendly websites with recipes?
  • TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, take a look at www.dietdoctor.com - has some good recipe suggestions.
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We (myself and children) went keto to support my husband back in May. He was having trouble controlling his blood sugar after starting Keto he no longer does.
    I was the best decision I ever made. I'm down 43 pounds now and feel so much better.
    There is a group here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    feel free to friend me I always welcome new friends. Open diary if you want to look.
  • Rikky02
    Rikky02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 1 for me, im anxious to see how this works for me.
  • catic15
    catic15 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Still trying to figure out the forums on my phone; replying to individuals is a challenge. Down 6 lbs so far (10 days) and BG is 121 without meds! Yay!
  • catic15
    catic15 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm still figuring out good lunches for packing to work, though. Thoughts?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    catic15 wrote: »
    I'm still figuring out good lunches for packing to work, though. Thoughts?

Leftovers, pepperoni and cheeses, salad with meats, eggs, veggies with dip.
  • bgreenly
    bgreenly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 2 and ended up in the ER the first week in September with astronomically high BS. I am currently on Metformin and Januvia with an A1C of 10.5! Ugh ... Scared me into doing something about this and started low carb for a month (under 150G carbs) and just started Keto (=/< 20G carbs) a week ago. All total I'm down about 25 lbs since September 1st. Feeling a lot better and more energy; however, I don't think I'm actually in ketosis yet as my BS readings are still above 100 but mostly in the 110-130 range depending on the time of day. Mornings are always the highest reading. I go back for labs the first of December and I'm really hoping this keto lifestyle change will work. I have to tell you that I no longer have sugar cravings and I'm definitely fuller for longer periods of time. I've been making an egg bake with sausage, cheese, spinach and mushrooms and take along to work for breakfast and lunch. If I have snacks it's typically a snack size meat stick, baby bell cheese and/or a half serving of whole pecans. Also, lots of water, salt your food and include all green veggies and cauliflower.