Cyclists: Strava or MapMyRide?

Options
13»

Replies

• mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper. I heard Strata is good, but haven't tried it out yet.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I used to use Runkeeper and Strava. Strava was way more detailed. But I went another direction last summer....I turned them all off and used a simple bike computer, $45 installed at my local bike shop. Being free of the apps was liberating (for me) - but I totally get it why some people want to use the apps.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Strava premium - I just got it a few months ago and am still exploring the features :) I've used segments a lot to preview the elevation profile of parts of event routes and decide if I'm going to have a prayer of completing the ride.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I used to use Runkeeper and Strava. Strava was way more detailed. But I went another direction last summer....I turned them all off and used a simple bike computer, $45 installed at my local bike shop. Being free of the apps was liberating (for me) - but I totally get it why some people want to use the apps.

I have been running simple bicycle computers (less then $45, installed by me) for 27 years ... and still do.

I've been running Strava in tandem with my simple bicycle computer since Jan 1.

But I won't get rid of my simple computer. Strava just runs in the background.
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Every since I started training with a powermeter on my bikes I've been using TrainingPeaks for logging / planning and WKO4 for post training analyzes.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Suusik wrote: »
    Well ... thanks for all replies
    Eventually I figured out how to import someone's route into Google Map on my phone but it does not look that it'll give turn-by-turn navigation
    I like Strava too but does it allow to import a route? Could someone advice how are you doing it?
    Also I am using 'free' version of Strava and don't know if it allow turn-by-turn navigation for free?
    Any heads-up?
    Thanks

I've never tried to use Strava for navigation, so I can't help much there... but RideWithGPS does a great job with it. I'd suggest going that route for nav.
  • kentstrahlen
    kentstrahlen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Garmin 735xt and export everything to Strava and TrainingPeaks. I use the Strava live segements as a training tool and Trainingpeaks more for planning/evaluation.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Which do you use? I've been a free version MapMyRide user for years. Now I am looking for the paid version because I want to add heart rate data. Strava is much more expensive, but also seems easier to connect with others and seems to be a more popular choice. I've only tried it out a few times. What are your experiences? Which do you use?

I use my Garmin watch to track rather than the phone apps, so I can't compare that aspect. (I can't speak to which is the most stable or has the better interface while on a ride). Both of those services will automatically pull the data from Garmin Connect server for every ride once setup. As for viewing the data later:

Strava, especially if you group ride - most cyclists are on that if anything at all. The Flyby option is nice (Can later view how the group separated off - gps overview video of everyone that overlapped with your course); Can compare speed on segments with others and your past (you can see if you're improving by comparing how your times are trending on some of the long hills...and someone will have already made a segment for pretty much any good hill).

I use the free version though - so I don't know how nice the info is for pace or heart rate breakdown. If I want to check heart rate data or more specific metrics, I'll view in Garmin Connect or Endomondo or Ride with GPS (the latter has plots of grade versus speed, which I like. It is mainly used for pre-planning out a route with cues; they do have an app, I don't know if it takes HR devices or not).

From Ride with GPS:
    5yqcnbzzgb7w.png
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Trignon wrote: »
    Every since I started training with a powermeter on my bikes I've been using TrainingPeaks for logging / planning and WKO4 for post training analyzes.

Might want to check out the new version of Golden Cheetah to be release later in the year. Big addition includes planning. The bad, a formal break from Coggan so one will need to add custom matrices. But I'm sure there are many in the community that are more resistance to change than I am and all will be laid out soon after release.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I need to try this Golden Cheetah.
  • snorycewton
    snorycewton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Strava.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin 500 bike computer as well as Strava. I use Strava namely so that my trainer can see what I'm doing as he uses Strava for all of his clients.
  • kieranar
    kieranar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    garmin edge 1000 , garmin HRM ,garmin Vivosmart and all linked to strava Premium
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Trignon wrote: »

Might want to check out the new version of Golden Cheetah to be release later in the year. Big addition includes planning. The bad, a formal break from Coggan so one will need to add custom matrices. But I'm sure there are many in the community that are more resistance to change than I am and all will be laid out soon after release.

Yea, Golden Cheetah would be a good way to go, but I have so many years of logged workouts in Training Peaks that it's not worth the work to switch.

Any good cycling coach won't deal with a client that only uses Strava, it's just not up to the task.
  • Suusik
    Suusik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started to explore RunGo for turn-by-turn voice navigation. I am using free version.
    So far I have a good impression