Any thoughts on Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Making your own shakes is cheaper, in the long run, than buying them premade. Plus you have the added advantage of knowing what's in them.

I use protein shakes (spinach, apples, protein powder, chia seeds, almond milk) on all my heavy exercise days as a nutrient-dense, filling snack. I like them but wouldn't recommend replacing an entire meal with one.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and "replace" lunch with a protein shake (1c chocolate milk, 1c coffee, 1 scoop whey isolate)...I find it filling and it has less calories than most actual meal replacement shakes I've seen.

Okay, but a meal replacement and a protein supplement aren't the same thing though. If OP is replacing a fair % of his daily calories with shakes....a protein supplement is likely not going to be adequate nutrition.

Now, starting with a protein supplement and adding veggies, fiber & fat.....is a better idea.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I need to actually eat food or I never feel satisfied. I honestly think I could drink 3 meal replacement shakes for a meal and still not feel satisfied. I just love food and eating and can never be satisfied with just drinking something.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    They've been a life saver for me personally .... i got to the end of my tether both with weight going up and up and issues i have with food (long story) .... it's taken away so much stress for me .... i'm going to keep using them until i get to a point where i can have my issues resolved properly (which needed me to lose weight)...

I'm 4 stone down so far
    I appreciate i'm not 'learning to eat' but as the saying goes 'walk a mile in my shoes' .... i've had such a hate-hate relationship with eating ... once i'm sorted i will learn again but that'll be a healing process for me mentally as much as anything
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I only use "shakes" when I have a lot of Calories left for the day and don't feel like eating anything else, but then they're not meal replacement shakes, they're smoothies made with almond milk, frozen fruit and protein powder (using hemp atm) and maybe some nut butter at around 300 Calories they're not particularly low calorie, but they are pretty nutrient dense and very yummy.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake almost every day for breakfast because I like them, and they keep me full. If they work for you, use them. They aren't any easier or healthier than an actual meal, though!
  • Kuraudo
    Kuraudo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem in this. I find it difficult to want to chew and chew chicken breast, or solid food to get all my protein macros in, so a whey protein shake really helps. It also helps aid in filling in meals that have not enough protein. Sometimes I don't want to spend the time washing the dish i ate off of, or spending time actually eating. Too busy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't logged in since his first reply to kommodeveran.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. What you will find on these boards is that there is a ton of people who believe their way is the only way. I love my shakes. I don't take them daily, but after 8 months of doing this, I get sick of chicken breast too, no matter how many ways you can prepare it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    Whatever works for you. What you will find on these boards is that there is a ton of people who believe their way is the only way. I love my shakes. I don't take them daily, but after 8 months of doing this, I get sick of chicken breast too, no matter how many ways you can prepare it.

Is chicken breast the only alternative to shakes? I would get sick too.