Coffee- Give it up or not at all?

Options
I don't want to give up my coffee for good, so should I not give it up at all?

I've been trying to lose weight for 3 weeks now. I gave up coffee and am drinking green tea instead. Can I do this for 3-4 months? yes. But I will not give it up for good. Should I just make it fit into my calorie goal now? Or make it fit into my calorie goal ONCE I hit maintenance?

I guess I should add I have my coffee with cream. I've tried it black, I've tried cutting down to normal servings of cream...lol. What can I say, my creamy coffee is my guilty pleasure. I look forward to it every morning and makes me happy : )

Replies

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree with gamerbabe. Why give it up? I use a tblsp of half and half in each cup @ 20 calories each. I figure I'm in this for the long haul and I intend to fit all of my food 'needs' aka loves into my calorie goal.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I would fit it into your calorie goal now - I kind of see this entire process as working towards the eating and exercise habits I'll use to maintain, so if coffee with cream is important to you, I'd get used to having it as part of your daily allowance. Just make sure you're measuring your cream accurately. Also, just to be clear, you're not drinking green tea because you think it has special fat-burning properties, right? Because that's woo. It's perfectly fine to drink if it fills you up and is a happy substitute for drinks with calories, but if you don't like the taste, any zero cal drink will serve the same purpose.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would fit it into your calorie goal now - I kind of see this entire process as working towards the eating and exercise habits I'll use to maintain, so if coffee with cream is important to you, I'd get used to having it as part of your daily allowance. Just make sure you're measuring your cream accurately. Also, just to be clear, you're not drinking green tea because you think it has special fat-burning properties, right? Because that's woo. It's perfectly fine to drink if it fills you up and is a happy substitute for drinks with calories, but if you don't like the taste, any zero cal drink will serve the same purpose.

No, I like it because its warm. Ha ha.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give up my AM coffee; it's something I look forward to every morning. I did give up the sugar in it but I use cream, 15ml every day and for me it's totally worth it. Everyone is different though and you have to decide if it's worth the calories or not.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What about replacing your cream with half & half or milk?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Half and half (40 calories) plus sugar free Torani syrup in any flavor you like, twice a day = 80 calories. If you substitute almond milk instead, it's less. I log this into MFP the first thing every morning, it fits within my calorie budget, and I am so happy to have my coffee ritual.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you love coffee, don't give it up! Do as others suggested and find a way to make it work in your calories.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've just made it work. I love coffee too much to give it up.
  • the_reserve
    the_reserve Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal, you can have it every 2nd day or go without for a week, or a month, and then you will enjoy it more when you have another one after a short break. Just know you arent compelled to have to have it every day :)
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No need giving up any foods / drinks. B)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I've been trying to lose weight for 3 weeks now. I gave up coffee and am drinking green tea instead. Can I do this for 3-4 months? yes. But I will not give it up for good. Should I just make it fit into my calorie goal now? Or make it fit into my calorie goal ONCE I hit maintenance?

I guess I should add I have my coffee with cream. I've tried it black, I've tried cutting down to normal servings of cream...lol. What can I say, my creamy coffee is my guilty pleasure. I look forward to it every morning and makes me happy : )

I've been into fitness since high school and have never even thought about giving up coffee. I actually depend on it for pre-workout many days. Coffee and espresso are about 0-5 calories x serving. Skim milk is a good alternative for cream with a little more protein and less calories. 1-2 packets of sugar is (I think) 15-30 calories. Starbuck's has awesome sugar and calorie free options. Check out BDawnFit on Instragram (or Brittany Dawn on Youtube) she has videos about all the low cal coffee options at Starbuck's.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    How many calories did you normally consume in coffee each day (including cream, sugar, etc), OP?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

You can pry my morning cuppa from my cold, dead hands, so I hear you!

If that one cup with lots of cream is worth it to you, have it. Just log it honestly.

Life is much too short to completely abandon the small pleasures in it. :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The milk i add to my tea everyday adds up to 240 calories, it's just something i make fit as i'll never give it up, plus it adds to my protein and fat goals. I've learnt to drink my coffee black, I add a tsp of xylitol for sweetness.