Just ate 3 slices of pizza and curious about calories

Options
I had 2 slices of pepperoni pizza
One slice of plain

I logged it and put it as like like 1370 calories based on sbarro pizza even though it wasn't sbarro...
I feel like I'm way off

It was like traditional pizza place pizza not like dominos or Pizza Hut.

Am I way off?

Replies

• DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the only thing you can do is estimate at places like that. It seems like you're on the right track. If they're big pieces, you might want to count it a little higher just to be on the safe side. I looked at the Sbarro nutritional guide and two slices of pepperoni (552 each) and one cheese pizza (430) would be 1534 calories. I would up it to that and not worry too much about it. : )
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It depends on the size of the slice and how heavy they put on the cheese. Those are the two big items that will boost the calorie count. You can try logging it piece by piece. Look up the calorie counts for pizza crust, cheese, pepperoni, veggies and oil and estimate how much you ate.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd say 300-500 per slice without any other details.
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    300 per slice would be my guess
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A big NY slice weighs about 7oz/200g and I log those as 500-550 calories a slice, so I'm with @DaintyWhisper
    1500 sounds reasonable and call it a day
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    For any reasonably traditional dishes from traditional places, I usually try to find an entry in the database that says something like 'traditional' or 'homemade' and log that.
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    Rounding down will only harm you. I suggest giving the benefit of the doubt, and counting it as 1500 calories :)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Adding. Last time I ate pizza I gained water weight for 3 full days and it drove me crazy. Each slice had 1,000 mg of sodium. Just in case it happens to you.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I can't stop when it comes to pizza! Lately I've just been buying the frozen,thin crust stuff cuz I get tired of the guessing game,I think log 1500 and go do some exercise
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're too far off. I can't find the references I've used but for a regular New York style pizza place (thin crust, 16" large pie), I usually assume there are 350-400 calories in a plain slice (1/8 of a large pie). Add calories for toppings as needed (for example, 1 oz of pepperoni is about 150 calories, etc.).

All in all, 1,500 calories for the three slices doesn't sound unreasonable.

This is why pizza is my devil...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Use to buy a Little Ceasar's pepperoni pizza to go and eat 1/2 (4 slices) of it w/2-3 cans of Bud for a "snack." LOL!

How many cals was that? At least 2000-2500. OMG!

This is why I don't eat pizza or stock any beer in my frig anymore!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm getting deja vu. OP have you asked this similar question before, or maybe I'm mixing up other pizza/calorie threads.

At any rate - I don't know what "traditional pizza place" means. I'm in St. Louis and our traditional pizza is cracker thin and square shaped slices. Traditional pizza in Chicago - extreme deep dish. Traditional NY style - large hand tossed slices. Traditional naples style - thin crust without a lot of cheese. Find one of those that seems applicable, look for something similar in the database, log that and move on. One day of guesstimating is not going to derail your entire progress toward goal.

I ate Papa John's at a birthday party the other day and it was about 250 cals for a slice of pepperoni. 3 pieces from most places should be less than 1000 cals I would think, but I always do try to aim high when estimating.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm getting deja vu. OP have you asked this similar question before, or maybe I'm mixing up other pizza/calorie threads.

At any rate - I don't know what "traditional pizza place" means. I'm in St. Louis and our traditional pizza is cracker thin and square shaped slices. Traditional pizza in Chicago - extreme deep dish. Traditional NY style - large hand tossed slices. Traditional naples style - thin crust without a lot of cheese. Find one of those that seems applicable, look for something similar in the database, log that and move on. One day of guesstimating is not going to derail your entire progress toward goal.

I ate Papa John's at a birthday party the other day and it was about 250 cals for a slice of pepperoni. 3 pieces from most places should be less than 1000 cals I would think, but I always do try to aim high when estimating.

I agree with this.....If i eat a normal slice of pizza I usually log a size medium dominoes or papa johns etc. I think sbarro's slices are huge and would count as 2 slices of a medium pizza.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A slice of pepperoni from a small pizza at one of our local joints is 300 calories per slice.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I agree with this.....If i eat a normal slice of pizza I usually log a size medium dominoes or papa johns etc. I think sbarro's slices are huge and would count as 2 slices of a medium pizza.

I'm not sure what you would consider as a 'normal' slice in your area or if you regularly eat Dominoes, but for your info Dominoes and the like have really small pizzas and might not make the best reference points. NY joints are the norm in my area (thin crust but not cracker thin, hand tossed to 16" to 18" for a large pie) and one slice is equal to about 2 or more slices of a Dominoes large slice.

A NY style slice approximates a triangle that's about 9X9X8. A Dominoes medium slice approximates a triangle that's 6X6X6. That's about double the surface area.

Sbarro slices are huge in both size and weight. They're probably triple or quadruple a medium Dominoes slice.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40121519#Comment_40121519
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sbarro slices are huge. I'd enter it as something similar.. Pizza Hut, or Domino's, etc. But yea, pizza sucks for calories. Avg. 4-500 calories per large slice pretty easily.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yeah, this is what was puzzling me by the question.

To me "traditional pizza place pizza, not pizza hut" would mean pizza at an Italian restaurant, quite thin crust, not enormous amount of cheese, not particularly high cal per piece (I also don't think of it as having super high cal ingredients). And I'm in Chicago, home of stuffed and deep dish pizza! If I was asking about Chicago style, I'd say "Chicago style," since I'd assume it's higher cal. But OP could, of course, have a completely different idea of how much a piece is.

IME, Chicago style is about 500 per piece or so, if no meat is added, anyway (say, stuffed spinach and other veg), although it could be more, certainly. The thin crust, my traditional, is more like 250/slice. If I had no idea I'd try to pick a comparable style and size slice, but realize it was off and perhaps add in some extra cals.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni does damage to calorie counts
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni does damage to calorie counts

What does this mean?