Calculating calories burned

Options
How do you calculate calories burned when you're not using a cardio machine? In particular, I'm interested in calories burned during weight lifting and during a kickboxing class. I've read through some other discussions where everyone says you need a heart rate monitor and I have a Pebble 2 that can track my heart rate but I don't understand how the heart rate translates into calories burned.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate calories burned when you're not using a cardio machine? In particular, I'm interested in calories burned during weight lifting and during a kickboxing class. I've read through some other discussions where everyone says you need a heart rate monitor and I have a Pebble 2 that can track my heart rate but I don't understand how the heart rate translates into calories burned.

A HRM is useless for weight lifting - and most other exercises. Kickboxing is under cardio and so is strength training. You can search for them and enter your time. Everything is just an estimate - many people eat only a portion to account for inaccuracies.
  • SilentDan82
    SilentDan82 Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A HRM is useless for weight lifting - and most other exercises. Kickboxing is under cardio and so is strength training. You can search for them and enter your time. Everything is just an estimate - many people eat only a portion to account for inaccuracies.

Thanks. MFP's estimate is pretty generous - 874 calories for an hour. I guess I could just half it or something.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Thanks. MFP's estimate is pretty generous - 874 calories for an hour. I guess I could just half it or something.

Sounds good. Half it and see how it goes. If you're losing too fast then increase the number you use.