How you eat to burn

I need help on eating to burn for a person on a budget and how to turn my fat to muscle?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I need help on eating to burn for a person on a budget and how to turn my fat to muscle?

Your body burns calories 24/7. Active people burn more than inactive people. The calories to maintain your weight are called TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

You need a minimum number of calories for your heart, lungs, brain, etc. When you eat fewer calories, your body needs to dip into stored calories......fat is a store, and lean muscle is a store.

You want to eat less than TDEE, but you also want to "protect" your lean muscle mass. So eat at a moderate deficit, eat adequate protein, and strength train.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Plug your stats into MFP, choose a weekly weight loss goal, log your food accurately and consistently, and hit your calorie goal. Putting yourself in a calorie deficit by eating less will cause your body to use your fat for fuel.

Exercising can help you stay in a calorie deficit.

Strength training can help you retain muscle mass.

Specific foods don't burn calories, and fat cannot turn into muscle.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Fat is fat, muscle is muscle. You can gain or lose either. They do not turn into each other no more than bone turns into skin. To lose fat, eat at a calorie deficit. To keep your muscles while losing fat: lift weights and make sure your nutrition is really good as you'll be in a calorie deficit.
  • Yeah - that's not how the body works. Eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss. Eat at a surplus with a progressive lifting program for muscle gain. Are you trying to lose or gain weight? Have you got your calorie goal from MFP? Have you started logging what you eat? Determine your goals and then get your calorie goal and start logging if you haven't already.

• No i haven't started it was gone wait till friday when i get paid to grocery shop im 5.7 and 216 pounds i wanna tone up and keep my size but not my weight
  • Fat doesn't turn into muscle. Eating doesn't burn fat. You build muscles by using them, you lose fat by eating less. Eating less is cheaper, because you're eating less.

• So how many meals a day?
  • TeaBea wrote: »

Your body burns calories 24/7. Active people burn more than inactive people. The calories to maintain your weight are called TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

You need a minimum number of calories for your heart, lungs, brain, etc. When you eat fewer calories, your body needs to dip into stored calories......fat is a store, and lean muscle is a store.

You want to eat less than TDEE, but you also want to "protect" your lean muscle mass. So eat at a moderate deficit, eat adequate protein, and strength train.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    So how many meals a day?

As many as you want. Meal frequency is personal preference.

Eat in a calorie deficit. Lift heavy to retain muscle mass (if you're lifting for the first time you might gain some muscle, but not that much). When you reach your goal weight, then you can work on building muscle better.
  • I can find my tdee and the moderate deficit pn here right?
  • Fat is fat, muscle is muscle. You can gain or lose either. They do not turn into each other no more than bone turns into skin. To lose fat, eat at a calorie deficit. To keep your muscles while losing fat: lift weights and make sure your nutrition is really good as you'll be in a calorie deficit.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I can find my tdee and the moderate deficit pn here right?

Yes, just plug in your stats and your goal and mfp will give you a calorie goal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    No i haven't started it was gone wait till friday when i get paid to grocery shop im 5.7 and 216 pounds i wanna tone up and keep my size but not my weight

what do you mean by keep your size? if you lose weight you will get smaller(not shorter).