Feeling deprived

Options
Hey all,

I've been calorie counting for 3 weeks now. I've lost very slowly but my goal is only to lose 15 Lb and being short, having too big of a deficit isn't sustainable.

I don't feel hungry and I'm not starving myself, however I can't shake off this "deprived" feeling when I need to restrict my consumption of, say, chocolate. I do eat higher calorie food that I crave (e.g chocolate) as long as they're within my caloric allowance, but still I can't help feeling depressed at not being able to eat as much of it as regularly as I want to! My eating habits used to be fairly bad, I would eat packs of biscuits everyday, etc, which probably is the reason why I gained 15 lbs over the past year. I feel like perhaps I'm having withdrawal symptoms!

I know this is silly but honestly this is bringing me down. furthermore I'm very small (5'1) and my TDEE is very low. My current calorie deficit is very close to what my TDEE will be at my goal weight. This makes me even more depressed. Has anyone experienced this and how did you get over this feeling?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I know you say you're losing slow but what rate of loss have you set yourself to?
  • Raspberrybelle
    Raspberrybelle Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I know you say you're losing slow but what rate of loss have you set yourself to?

My rate of loss is 0.3 lbs a week. Tbh I'm probably eating what I used to eat before I gained weight, but my body has probably gotten used to eating junk.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You can eat all the sweets, chocolate, cake etc that you like. No one is stopping you. Doing so will likely put you over your recommended calorie intake so you won't achieve your weight loss goals.

What's more important to you? Which one are you prepared to sacrifice more? Eating whatever, or your weight loss goal?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Then I think @mazdauk has the right idea, try increasing your activity to allow yourself a bit more wiggle room and maybe try to bulk out your meals with lower calorie nutritionally dense foods to give yourself a bit more room for treats or try to incorporate smaller amounts of the treats but more often.

For me this can be having a seasoned chicken breast with half a plate of broccoli instead of where I might previously have thrown some oven chips on or using quinoa to bulk out a salad.

I buy packs of the Dairy Milk Little Bars which are 95 calories per bar and have 1-2 of those after my dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    increase your TDEE by doing some exercise...

other than that, you need to change your mindset - you don't need to eat loads of chocolate every day... you may want to, but you dont need to. so you choose, do you want to eat lots of chocolate or do you want to maintain a lower weight?
  • Raspberrybelle
    Options
    Thanks for those who provided helpful replies :)
    increase your TDEE by doing some exercise...

other than that, you need to change your mindset - you don't need to eat loads of chocolate every day... you may want to, but you dont need to. so you choose, do you want to eat lots of chocolate or do you want to maintain a lower weight?

In regards to the second part of your post, I can see that you can't relate to how I'm feeling - which is entirely understandable, not everyone is the same.

However I found what you said very condescending. If my first post seems to imply that I THINK I need to eat chocolate everyday, then maybe I worded it wrong, who knows.
  • Raspberrybelle
    Options
    You can eat all the sweets, chocolate, cake etc that you like. No one is stopping you. Doing so will likely put you over your recommended calorie intake so you won't achieve your weight loss goals.

What's more important to you? Which one are you prepared to sacrifice more? Eating whatever, or your weight loss goal?

Finding a balance is what is important to me.

No one is stopping me eating all the chocolate I want, of course. I am exercising restraint myself and I'm trying to find a way to cope with the resulting feelings of deprivation. which is why I started this thread.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Finding a balance is what is important to me.

No one is stopping me eating all the chocolate I want, of course. I am exercising restraint myself and I'm trying to find a way to cope with the resulting feelings of deprivation. which is why I started this thread.

You have to want the weight loss more. I was in a similar position for years and never managed to overcome it until a light bulb moment when achieving my goals meant more than finding satisfaction in lots of treat food (I could literally eat bags of sweets, blocks of chocolate, packets of biscuits etc).

I started to find comfort and satisfaction in fuelling my body well and knowing that I was doing the right things to reach my physique goals.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think some of the thoughts you're having at the moment, may be dragging you down. You don't lose more slowly and you can't eat less just because you're shorter, your calorie needs are proportional to your height. You are not having withdrawal symptoms, you feel like you are missing out.

If it can be of any help, rest assured that most of us would like to be able to eat everything all the time, but we can't if we want to stay fit and healthy. But that doesn't mean that you always have to say no. It's always a choice. Knowing that you can say yes, makes it easier to say no.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. Have been counting calories again 3 weeks now and eating at a teeny tiny deficit, and am finding the long term prospect challenging and a little grim. Because I'd made a habit of eating whatever I wanted lately, and it's not realistic. I found mazdauk's comment comforting - hopefully by sticking with it the desire to eat whatever we want will dissipate! There's only one way to find out. Raspberrybelle we can do it!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree that exercise would definitely help get you more calories. I love cycling just bc being on a bike is fun. However, it doesn't hurt that I can burn 1000+ calories in one ride either!

But the 2nd part.. have you considered switching up your chocolate/treats? For instance, I don't do a great job of limiting my chocolate if I'm eating a candy bar bc I know it's still out there. However, if I eat ghiradelli squares that are individually wrapped, I can eat just one (for 53 calories). I especially like the sea salt soiree ones bc it gives me that sweet and salty all in one. It doesn't leave me feeling the pull to go finish something.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to find new treats which you love but which fit into your calorie goals. My favorite treat is a latte made with unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon, and shavings of dark chocolate - 42 calories. Another one is berries with Greek yogurt. Even zero calorie treats like herbal teas can be helpful in giving you the same pleasure you used to get from overeating.

Speaking for myself, I find it helpful to avoid added sugars as the taste makes me crave more. My experience is that after about two weeks, your taste buds reset and natural sugars taste much sweeter, while most sugary sweets taste too sweet. Not everyone has the same issues around sugar, but if you find that eating one biscuit just makes you want more than one, it's something to consider.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Another thing I find helpful is doing some exercise when I get in from work (especially if I'm in earlier than the rest of the family as we all have different patterns), then obviously I need a nice bath, do my hair etc. By the time I've done that everyone else is in and so I cook dinner. Otherwise I would sit down and watch rubbish TV with a snack of some sort -and not have a smaller dinner! This way I just have the dinner and the calories saved on NOT having the snack (plus the exercise calories) cover my wine. That's lady maths! :)
  • mrack1
    mrack1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You have to experiment to see what works for you. I can totally relate to this, so I've fixed my diet to include only my favorite foods, and I do a lot of cardio so I can eat about 1700-1800 calories a day (burning 500-600 during exercise).

I eat 1-2 candy bars a day, and I've found you can eat anything you want in moderation, really. I have these meal kit delivery services - Plated and Blue Apron, and the food is yummy, but I split their 2-portion meals into 4 portions to cut back the calories, and I put one portion away for lunch the next day, since it's just me and my two kids. I always feel like I'm eating amazing gourmet meals.

I love chocolate too, and I've found that hershey bars are great because I know how many calories are in each (220) and I can sit down and really enjoy it - small bites, savoring the moment. I usually buy one or two every day at a corner store, so I don't have chocolate sitting around in my house.

Like someone else said, if you eat a lot of low-calorie, high-nutrition foods for meals, you can splurge a bit on snacks. I've learned to experiment with salads - adding goat cheese or other exotic cheeses, nuts, and fruits (in small amounts) makes salads yummy, and you only need a tiny bit of dressing. The great thing about salads is that you can eat huge quantities, and they take a long time to eat.

Like others have said, some of your struggles likely have to do with your mindset. Don't be hard on yourself. Give yourself credit for the things you are doing right! The Beck Diet Solution is a good book that might be helpful, as it focuses on the psychological aspects of successful weight loss - how to change your thinking so you can be successful.

Feel free to message me if you need anything. I totally get how you are feeling.
  • mrack1
    mrack1 Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I'll apologize in advance. Grow up

Not helpful. This opening move doesn't give you an excuse to then be a jerk.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    mrack1 wrote: »
    88olds wrote: »
    I'll apologize in advance. Grow up

Not helpful. This opening move doesn't give you an excuse to then be a jerk.

I really don't think he was trying to be a jerk. What he says is true. It may be hard to swallow, but it's true. I also am having a REALLY hard time giving up eating what I want, when I want, and as much as I want. It is the way I have eaten for most of my life, and I don't want to give it up. Right now I don't seem to have the strength to, but I have hope that I will get there.