Last minute Camping trip!

Options
At the last minute, My Husband and kids had the idea to go camping this weekend, I'm a little scared! What do I eat?? I don't want to wander away from my diet as it always leads to a binge! Any ideas good people? :)

Thanks
Dee

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    jiffy pop! great for campfires.

a healthy alternative to smores could be banana boats...just peel back one strip of banana and eat half of it, and fill the rest with soy butter and/or a few dark chocolate chips. then wrap it in foil and put it near the campfire to heat up....and as a result you get a nice sweet healthy protein-packed treat!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    OMG we went on a planned camping trip for 3 nights lst week sat-tues and I gained 7 .2 lbs !! however in less than a week Im just about back to where I was before, so keep moving go for walks, hiking etc-I think my problem wasnt so much eating bad but before I left I was eating between 1200-1300 calories and when I was camping was probably closer to 1500-1600 or maybe more so maybbe that caused the gain, but I was active so really I didnt understand why so much of a gain-bring healthy snacks like fruit and lean meat to cook for your dinner so try to keep your food intake about the same as it was before and do some kind of activity and you should be fine
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    We're going (car, not backcountry) camping later in August and I haven't thought a whole lot about what we're going to take but here are a few ideas.

For dinner we like to make foil packs with some kind of lean meat and lots of vegetables and then grill the pack. You can use cooking spray on the foil so the meat/veggies don't stick or just a little butter or oil. Or kebabs with chicken breast and lots of vegetables.

Breakfast---oatmeal. I might make some (healthier) muffins before we leave to have for breakfast.

We usually do whole wheat sandwiches with turkey or pb&j for lunch.

Pack fruit for snacks. We also like shelled unsalted sunflower seeds or a homemade trail mix.

Simple and easy and not too unhealthy.

We will make smores one night with the kids but the good thing about them is that they are so sickeningly sweet that I can only eat one otherwise I feel really sick. I do like to eat just one though and I will plan for it accordingly.

I'm planning to run around the campground for exercise.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I've gone camping/backpacking plenty of times and always plan my meals ahead of time to make sure I'm well fed and fueled.

Fresh fruit and veggies are always good to snack on, cut up some carrot sticks or celery. Almonds and other kinds of nuts. Oatmeal is good for breakfast. You can bring hard-boiled eggs for some extra protein. Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Tuna pouches are definitely really good to bring! Low in calories, high in protein. Pair it up with crackers, make a sandwich or eat it straight out of the pouch. I also like to bring a Luna bar or something similar to satisfy my sweet tooth.

As long as you bring healthy foods with you, you shouldn't worry too much about over eating! And if you do at least it's healthy foods =)
  • avahsmiles4me
    avahsmiles4me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I managed to survive on lower cal granola bars and Special K! I figured I wouldn't weigh myself just yet, I'll do that on Sunday. :):)