Time to Bulk ?

Joseph94x
Joseph94x Posts: 25 Member
Hi there guys

I have been in a losing weight period "cutting" for the last 10 months

However starting up with that i dont feel like i have enough of muscle foundation.

Stats .. 166cm 63kg approx 16to20Bf (depending on which formula)

Im not gaining any strengh if any im losing some .. but the fact that i will gain fat as well is making me reculcant

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    If you're happy with your belly fat increasing during a bulk, then bulk.

If you want to be leaner, but are sick of cutting, take a break and eat at maintenance for a few weeks. Then continue cutting.

Either way works.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Honestly, I'd not bulk in the 16-20% bf range, but that's just me, and I now stay in the 10-15% area. However, if absolute strength is your sole focus, then yeah, have at it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Do not bulk at your bodyfat! Diet down to nearer 12% and reassess.

Bulking when fat will make you even fatter
  • Joseph94x
    edited August 2017
    Makes sense .. but im really feeling the effects of long period of cutting , guess im gonna go up to maintan for a few weeks n see what will happen
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Not a bad idea. Ease up to maintenance for two weeks to a month, see how things feel, and if all is going well, drop back to a deficit for a bit.
  • Joseph94x
    Thnx guys .. guess i was only looking for an excuse to eat more
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Joseph94x wrote: »
    Thnx guys .. guess i was only looking for an excuse to eat more

You're only human. Unfortunately everyone is fatter than they think and wants to achieve unrealistic targets in unrealistic time frames.

Take 2-4 weeks at maintenance, don't use it as an excuse to binge and then get back on track feeling refreshed and with a healthy metabolism.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Not a bad idea. Ease up to maintenance for two weeks to a month, see how things feel, and if all is going well, drop back to a deficit for a bit.

Going up to maintenance and keeping your protein high, you should be able to gain muscle if your training is good. What are your macro numbers? I assume you are strength training?
  • Joseph94x
    PPumpItUp wrote: »

Going up to maintenance and keeping your protein high, you should be able to gain muscle if your training is good. What are your macro numbers? I assume you are strength training?

Yes i am .. actually i dont do any cardio just cause i dont like it

During my cut approx P120 , C200, F37

From yestarday i started going for 140P , C300 , F45 .. approx
  • PPumpItUp
    Your protein is far too low. Keep your protein around 2.4g/kg of body weight. Take away from your carbs and fat if you need to.
  • Joseph94x
    TBH im not really 100% accuratly hitting my macros everyday .. its quite normal for me to eat 120P in a day and next day 180P .. its just in the range of 140P .. and this is just to start as im being cautions honestly i think i will still be losing weight with these macros .. just dosent want to go up to around 2500Cal from around 1700Cal suddenly
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Makes sense .. but im really feeling the effects of long period of cutting , guess im gonna go up to maintan for a few weeks n see what will happen

Yeah, I'd do this too. A long cut like you've done has a greater chance of losing muscle mass than a short cut. Maintain for a month or so, see how you feel.

Mike Israetel likes to recommend that when you need to lose a lot of BF, that you do it in stages, then maintain, then cut again. He says there is evidence that over a long period of time the body develops "set-points", that are difficult to go beyond, either cutting or bulking, and using a staged approach is a good plan if #1 you don't want to balloon back up to your original weight, and #2, maybe you want to grow back up to one of your set-points.

I'm finding this right now. I spent 11 months dropping from 175 to 130, then bulked since Apr and am sitting at 145, but am finding I need to increase my calories much more, I've even lost a lb or two in the past two weeks. I look back at my last year and I find that on the way down (losing weight), I spent about 6 months hovering around 145, while losing 0.25 lbs per week or less. I don't think it's any coincidence that my body is wanting to stay at this weight at the moment. It's all due to hormones, but Mike says there's some evidence that these "set points" develop over months and years. Anyway I got side tracked.

Maintain until you're ready to cut again :)
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Your protein is far too low. Keep your protein around 2.4g/kg of body weight. Take away from your carbs and fat if you need to.

Sorry I have to disagree, you're protein is sufficient. Protein is somewhat overrated when it comes to building muscles, yes you need it for muscle building, but more protein isn't going to make it get faster.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Hi there guys

I have been in a losing weight period "cutting" for the last 10 months

However starting up with that i dont feel like i have enough of muscle foundation.

Stats .. 166cm 63kg approx 16to20Bf (depending on which formula)

Im not gaining any strengh if any im losing some .. but the fact that i will gain fat as well is making me reculcant

If I were you I would maintain or even go 100 cal above maintenance but nothing more. You're bf might be on the high range bc you still need to build more muscle and a slight surplus will help build that muscle and hopefully not go too much over your current bf % if that makes sense. Just keep an eye on your weight and bf while you do this.
  • Joseph94x
    Seth1825 wrote: »

Sorry I have to disagree, you're protein is sufficient. Protein is somewhat overrated when it comes to building muscles, yes you need it for muscle building, but more protein isn't going to make it get faster.

I dont have much experince but i found carb to have the most impact on my mood , energy and gym performance .. most of the online calculators advice between 110P n 140P *for my stats* .. im at least hitting the max of that daily
  • PPumpItUp
    IMO the three most important factors in building muscle are 1) resistance training 2) protein intake 3) carbohydrate intake. When you were cutting you should have had a protein intake of around 150g-160g of protein. For maintenance and bulking it can be a little lower. You can maintain muscle with resistance training and low protein but it is hard to build unless you bump the protein up.
  • Joseph94x
    IMO the three most important factors in building muscle are 1) resistance training 2) protein intake 3) carbohydrate intake. When you were cutting you should have had a protein intake of around 150g-160g of protein. For maintenance and bulking it can be a little lower. You can maintain muscle with resistance training and low protein but it is hard to build unless you bump the protein up.

Probably i could have .. but going low on carb for that long wouldnt workout for me , i looked weak and tired .. as soon as i went back to +180C everything went better except the "weight loss"
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    This is what happens when you cut for too long/large deficit or don't cut the 'right way' IMO. You have to work in reverse. IMO you shouldn't be cutting any longer, time to seriously put on some muscle mass. Once you have a good foundation you can cut back down again.
  • PPumpItUp
    I am saying you need protein and carbs to build muscle, not that you should reduce the carbs. The only macro left is fat and you would have to reduce that to get in your calories from protein and carbs. But that is to build muscle most efficiently, you can loose body fat with any macro combination.