Keto Diet...Cheat meal

Options
i started keto diet for 3 weeks.Is it okay to have cheat meal in keto diet process?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Like any diet, I think it would depend on you. If you are the type who will have a hard time getting back on track, then avoiding a cheat meal might be better. If you are are Keto for health reasons, then cheating is not a good idea.

If you are just using it as a tool for weight loss, I would think an off plan meal is not that bad. You'll just go out of ketosis for a few hours or a day, and may have some water retention.
  • EugeneLow27
    EugeneLow27 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.I am in keto diet for weight loss & worry it will have any impact or difficulty if go for cheat meal.
    i think i should take cheat meal at least once a month to release stress.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.I am in keto diet for weight loss & worry it will have any impact or difficulty if go for cheat meal.

If the way you're eating is causing you stress, why are you continuing to eat that way? Find a way of eating that you actually enjoy and can realistically do long term.
  • EugeneLow27
    Options

or you could just eat at a calorie deficit and enjoy the foods you want to eat and not feel a need to cheat?

Next week i will have department dinner for international buffet.Thinking to get some bite of desserts.Therefore, i am thinking on cheat meal
  • EugeneLow27
    Options

If the way you're eating you is causing you stress, why are you continuing to eat that way? Find a way of eating that you actually enjoy and can realistically do long term.

I am not stress on the way of eating but stress on job.I actually enjoy on keto diet way for weight lose.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

If the way you're eating you is causing you stress, why are you continuing to eat that way? Find a way of eating that you actually enjoy and can realistically do long term.

I am not stress on the way of eating but stress on job.I actually enjoy on keto diet way for weight lose.

Ah, thanks for clarification :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

or you could just eat at a calorie deficit and enjoy the foods you want to eat and not feel a need to cheat?

Next week i will have department dinner for international buffet.Thinking to get some bite of desserts.Therefore, i am thinking on cheat meal

You don't have to do keto/low carb, and you don't have to cheat. You can eat what you like (keeping an eye on nutrition first), stay within your calories and still lose weight.

If keto/low carb is stressing you out, is it even worth it?

No.

Just eat at a calorie deficit. Keto/low carb isn't weight loss magic. It works just like other "diets". I eat high carb sometimes, but mostly moderate carb and have lost over 100lbs. I eat chips and chocolate almost every day.

Weight loss is not about what foods you should avoid, it's all about taking in less calories than you burn by being alive+activities+exercise throuout the day, every day.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    i started keto diet for 3 weeks.Is it okay to have cheat meal in keto diet process?

Not if you want to stay in ketosis

but since there is no benefit to ketosis (in terms of fat loss)...she could (but again as others said above, why restrict yourself in a way that you feel the need to cheat)
  • nvmomketo
    Options

but since there is no benefit to ketosis (in terms of fat loss)...she could (but again as others said above, why restrict yourself in a way that you feel the need to cheat)

Oh I know but after having played with keto I wouldn't want keto flu over and over because I wanted a cheat meal

That only happens if your salt intake is inadequate. I've been ketogenic for most of the last couple of years. I have had meals with cake, candy at Easter, fresh GF baked goodies that people made for me, cinnamon buns at Xmas, and some desserts and fruits here and there. After the first few months I was back into ketosis with no problems - I was fat adapted and my body now prefers fats for fuel.

I did get a "carb flu" a few times though. Headaches and fatigue from the blood glucose swings, constipation, pimples and stomach aches. Bleh, I still have a bunch of pimples from having icecream last week... No electrolyte imbalance though. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options

A few bites of dessert is not bad at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Oh I know but after having played with keto I wouldn't want keto flu over and over because I wanted a cheat meal

I popped in and out of ketosis when experimenting with it, and had no negative symptoms. I was sluggish working out at first, but once I was more adapted to it going out briefly didn't seem to matter. Some LCHF people even recommend doing an occasional higher carb meal or day. I suspect it doesn't matter.
  • EugeneLow27
    Options

Ah, thanks for clarification :)

No problem.
  • EugeneLow27
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

A few bites of dessert is not bad at all.

I will take it as consideration.
  • EugeneLow27
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I popped in and out of ketosis when experimenting with it, and had no negative symptoms. I was sluggish working out at first, but once I was more adapted to it going out briefly didn't seem to matter. Some LCHF people even recommend doing an occasional higher carb meal or day. I suspect it doesn't matter.

Thanks guys for the advice.It is useful info for me to take cheat meal.I know there might happen carb flu which i have to go through again.