Coffee- Give it up or not at all?

Options
13»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't want to give up my coffee for good, so should I not give it up at all?

I've been trying to lose weight for 3 weeks now. I gave up coffee and am drinking green tea instead. Can I do this for 3-4 months? yes. But I will not give it up for good. Should I just make it fit into my calorie goal now? Or make it fit into my calorie goal ONCE I hit maintenance?

I guess I should add I have my coffee with cream. I've tried it black, I've tried cutting down to normal servings of cream...lol. What can I say, my creamy coffee is my guilty pleasure. I look forward to it every morning and makes me happy : )

There's only so many options. Make it fit at the current frequency & calorie level, make it fit at a reduced calorie level/frequency, learn to drink it black, or give it up. Depending on tastes and overall calorie allotment, these could all be difficult things to implement. Try each and see how it goes
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a large coffee with a couple cream and a couple sugar can add up to 200 cals. And who just drinks one coffee am I right? If you're trying to lose weight I'd say drink it black or not at all.

Myself, I have a sugar in my coffee, sometimes I drink it black. I didn't just start drinking black coffee tho. You have to get used to it. Maybe instead of 3 creams use 2 and slowly make your way down to none.

Me. I only drink one, I swear.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Give up coffee?? omg... :o

No. Just no.

However...I have cut down a bit on my coffee calories. I like International Delights, several flavors (and Pumpkin Spice season is coming up soon, and Peppermint Mocha after that!), and I just slowly started adding less. I will never give it up entirely but less has worked.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm Coffee's B!tch. I like each cup with 2 Tbls (30mL) flavored (full fat/sugar) creamer. I've tried it black; I just can't do it. Some days I drink 3 or 4 cups, so it adds up. I usually just make it fit within my calorie goal.

If I want to reduce my liquid calories, I'll have my first cuppa with 1 flavored creamer (35 cals), and 1 mini moo (10 cals). I get pretty much the same flavor & creaminess, but with 25 fewer calories. Then I switch to tea for the rest of the day instead of mindlessly drinking coffee. The first cup is always the best anyway. :)

I don't like the flavor of plain black tea. So for me, the key was finding a robust, smooth flavored tea that I can drink without milk or cream added. After trying a bunch of different varieties, I found two that satisfy:

- Numi Organic, Pu-Erh Tea, Chocolate flavor
    - Rishi Organic, Pu-Erh Tea, Chocolate Cinnamon flavor

I find I actually enjoy drinking these teas. But I'll never give up coffee.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If coffee is your biggest problem with your diet...
    You don't need to give up coffee if it's something important to you. There's no way I would ever give up coffee
  • DianaGabriela2013
    Options
    rkmomm wrote: »
    I'm Coffee's B!tch. I like each cup with 2 Tbls (30mL) flavored (full fat/sugar) creamer. I've tried it black; I just can't do it. Some days I drink 3 or 4 cups, so it adds up. I usually just make it fit within my calorie goal.

If I want to reduce my liquid calories, I'll have my first cuppa with 1 flavored creamer (35 cals), and 1 mini moo (10 cals). I get pretty much the same flavor & creaminess, but with 25 fewer calories. Then I switch to tea for the rest of the day instead of mindlessly drinking coffee. The first cup is always the best anyway. :)

I don't like the flavor of plain black tea. So for me, the key was finding a robust, smooth flavored tea that I can drink without milk or cream added. After trying a bunch of different varieties, I found two that satisfy:

- Numi Organic, Pu-Erh Tea, Chocolate flavor
    - Rishi Organic, Pu-Erh Tea, Chocolate Cinnamon flavor

I find I actually enjoy drinking these teas. But I'll never give up coffee.

That chocolate cinnamon tea sounds good. I'll have to try it.
    I only have one large cup a day.

• DianaGabriela2013
    Options
    If coffee is your biggest problem with your diet...
    You don't need to give up coffee if it's something important to you. There's no way I would ever give up coffee

yup, its the only problem. I like my coffee really creamy, that's the problem. Or should I say cream with coffee. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black most of the time...I find that quality coffee that is freshly ground the day of drinking it really doesn't need anything.

I put a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 in if my wife does a dark roast just to cut the bitterness a bit as I prefer a medium roast...preferably Colombian beans...