Comfort eating

Options
I am a horrible comfort eater. Anytime I have a bad day or a bad week, I reward myself for living through it with ice cream, cookies, fast food etc. Since I don't like my job or where we currently live (I do not fit in with this city at all!), I've really upped the amount of comfort food I eat. And just to top it off, I eat when I'm stressed. Since I'm under more stress, I'm hungrier. I know the two go hand in hand but I do see them as differernt things. The comfort eating is more of a pat on the back (congrats on not killing your boss, have an ice cream bar!), the stress eating means I'm eating larger portions of food at mealtimes.

So here's my question-what have you done to stop the comfort eating/stress eating cycle?

(BTW-we are taking long term action to help solve the bigger issues. We are hoping to move within the next three or four months but I still need some anti-comfort eating skills for while we are still here!)

Replies

• DevaFae
    Options
    I am a horrible comfort eater. Anytime I have a bad day or a bad week, I reward myself for living through it with ice cream, cookies, fast food etc. Since I don't like my job or where we currently live (I do not fit in with this city at all!), I've really upped the amount of comfort food I eat. And just to top it off, I eat when I'm stressed. Since I'm under more stress, I'm hungrier. I know the two go hand in hand but I do see them as differernt things. The comfort eating is more of a pat on the back (congrats on not killing your boss, have an ice cream bar!), the stress eating means I'm eating larger portions of food at mealtimes.

So here's my question-what have you done to stop the comfort eating/stress eating cycle?

(BTW-we are taking long term action to help solve the bigger issues. We are hoping to move within the next three or four months but I still need some anti-comfort eating skills for while we are still here!)
  • mommyofone
    Options
    when i get like that I try to stay busy to keep my mind off food
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.
    I eat my emotions too.

Gotta find some other way to reward or distract yourself.
    Can you knit or crochet? Jigsaw puzzle? Clothes shopping?
    Anything to keep you away from the food and busy.
    Keeps your hands occupied. Keep out of the kitchen.
    A warm bubble bath and a good book. (Can't eat in the tub!)

Reward yourself with a new pair of workout shoes. Or workout pants.
    And then use them.
    Buy new nail polish. Paint your nails over and over again. (Can't eat with wet nail polish!)

Bowling.
    Go bowl a game or four.

:wink: Good luck. (I need to take my own advice, haha.)
  • PEGGY6296
    Options
    Not that it always works for me, but I have filled up a tall glass with crushed ice and water and drink and munch on ice.... it drives my husband crazy hearing me chew on ice some evenings, but he understands that it keeps FOOD out of my mouth.
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Exercise...at home or at the gym if you belong to one...walk, run, kick, do boxing punches (pretend it's towards your boss...:laugh: )...just MOVE...and in a short amount of time your endorphins will kick in and you'll start feeling better AND you've gotten in some exercise!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I've seen others suggest keeping a food journal.
    Instead of eating, writing down what you wanted to eat and what emotions you were feeling at that time, and what thoughts you were having.
    Even if you still eat that food, you will eventually eat less because you'll be tired of having to log all that information just to emotion-eat. Your mind will also start to wrap around what is going on and overcome it. :smile:
  • livinwell
    Options
    I exercise and drink water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Drink tea (which I really don't care for, but it is something with a taste that has 0 calories) or workout A LOT. Even twice a day if I have the time and really feel the urge to eat the pantry contents.
  • happenstance82
    Options
    So, you're using food as a self-soothing technique...everyone here had good advice. Essentially, the idea is to replace eating(for comfort) with some other self-soother. Try making your goal for the rest of this week to test drive some other self-soothers. Make a list of things you enjoy or sound interesting(maybe include the great ideas that Peggy and Lauryn listed) Next time you come home from work stressed, look at that list and pick one to do. See how you feel afterwards. If you're genuinely hungry, eat a healthy snack, like an apple or a hard boiled egg.
  • rocknrollchic311
    Options
    I'm the same... I justify myself like.... "I had a rough day, I deserve it."

This way of thinking is BAD.

Instead, I try to say... I had a bad day...why make it worse by gaining a pound? Then I do something to take my mind off of it.

Good luck! :wink:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Go out and either run :tongue: (if you can) or walk briskly :smile: ,if you are walking/running amongst other people SMILE and check their reactions it will have you in stitches, this way you can then afford the extra calories:bigsmile: but more often than not I have gotten over the "Must eat now":grumble: mood. I also shout out loud, :explode: jump over rocks:smile: (or anything big enough to make you use your concentration) and when I was younger swing on overhead tree branches :noway: Believe you me when you get back home all that stress has flown out of the window AND the adrenalin you get from the Smiling, shouting, jumping, Walking/running gives you a lovely feel good feeling.
    You could always try meditation, once you are able to settle down to actually meditate you will find just how good it is for you..................................and your boss:devil:
    GOOD:flowerforyou: LUCK

Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside :laugh:
  • DevaFae
    Options
    So, you're using food as a self-soothing technique...everyone here had good advice. Essentially, the idea is to replace eating(for comfort) with some other self-soother. Try making your goal for the rest of this week to test drive some other self-soothers. Make a list of things you enjoy or sound interesting(maybe include the great ideas that Peggy and Lauryn listed) Next time you come home from work stressed, look at that list and pick one to do. See how you feel afterwards. If you're genuinely hungry, eat a healthy snack, like an apple or a hard boiled egg.

This is a great idea! I'm going to pick off some of the ideas from this post and try to come up with a few others of my own and test drive them. Thanks!
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A warm bubble bath and a good book. (Can't eat in the tub!)

Buy new nail polish. Paint your nails over and over again. (Can't eat with wet nail polish!)

Really? I must have skills, I'm sure I've done both! :blushing:
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    I think they are all good ideas but I do not think they are going to help change eating patterns.

DevaFae, and others (myself included), need to get to the root of the issue before true change is going to happen. When real stress hits home and we open the freezer for comfort ... whats going to make us reach for the ice cubes instead of the ice cream?

We must have a solid plan TODAY and not WAIT for things to get better. Hell, we could spend our whole lives waiting for this or that and miss LIFE completely. That's a scary thought. Don't Wait !!

The answer lies somewhere in our self respect and self confidence. We need to get to the point where our negative thoughts, hate towards others, or our intense dislike of our situations ... gets dealt with ... not stiffled by stuffing our our bodies full of food. How does that gorging help ? Think about it ? Don't hide it ... think about it.

Face it, think about it, deal with it, make a plan, act on the plan .... do SOMETHING positive to rectify the situations that cause you stress and pain. It's nobody else's fault .. it's your situation ... you are ABLE to do things to change your situation ... starting with a positive out look .. start now. I am learnign to straight up deal with some things and completely avoid others (people) to help become more comfortable with my day to day life.

If you dislike your home and repeat that message often your will make it a very toxic, negative environment. Who wants to come home to that? How does complaining about the home make it any better? How does telling your friends over and over how awful everything is ... make it any better? Do you truly feel better after unloading your negativity or does it just keep it in your mind? We are not victims, we are people who can make our lives ANYTHING that we want them to be.

Now, after hearing me say that you may start collecting ammunition to tell me EXATLY what's wrong with your home or life and how awful, and how you are "stuck" ... then you'd just be adding fuel to the negative fire. Can you see how we can perpetuate our own stress and make it worse and worse?

Try this instead ... okay you've had a rough day at work. Your reward is going HOME. Make your home a sancutary. Seriously, whatever your home is, where ever it is ... make it the best place for you to rest. Your home needs to be a haven from the world, For you and for your family/spouse.

If the place is cluttered, pick one spot to start a sort and clean. After the space is clear, clean and pleasing to the eye. Sit and admire it for a moment. Appreciate it. Tomorrow, get some flowers on the way home rather than ice cream. You deserve them, they are beautiful and alive. In Vancouver right now we have $ .99 Primulas for sale everywhere. I love them and their bright colors !

Dream about your new home and how you are going to make it a sanctuary and a place to feel safe. If you feel lonely, start inviting people over to share your warm peaceful home.

Okay, I know that I am rambling on but I am coaching myself as I write, thanks for listening :wink: The big picture is SO much more than what food items to use to replace the old ones. The bottom line is .. this is our ONLY life ... this is our one CHANCE to be what we want to be ... to LIVE the way we want to live ... hurting ourselves with our actions NEVER makes any situation better.

Stress relief ? ... leave it at the office ... sister fighting with whoever ? ... not your problem
    Soothing needed ? ... create, express, converse (not complain), music, see the good things, smile.
    Hungry? ... feed your body good foods ... show it the respect that you deserves

Enjoy your life, and try to make the very best of any situation. Good things will happen.

This is just little thing I saw once.
    If you type "don't wait" with 2 capitals at the front and 2 capitals at the end. The capitals spell DO IT !!

DOnt waIT

:heart: