BEER???

Options
2»

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The lightest beer I drink is Sierra Nevada Pale ale and also love IPA's. Drink bud 55?, never.
  • danselisabeth
    danselisabeth Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Milwaukee's Best Light (or as i call it, beast light) has the best calories to ABV ratio of any cheap light beer, and not bad tasting. 98 calories, 3.5 carbs, 4.2% ABV.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Bud select 55 is only about 2.4% alcohol, which is half of a bud light. The more you cut calories in alcohol, the weaker it is. I could blow through a 12 pack of 55 and it would be an absolute waste. I have limited my drinking by a lot due to the fact that it doesn't fit my daily calorie consumption plans anymore... I just can't get myself to drink my calories anymore. It's not worth it.

BUT if I absolutely insist on having a drink, taking a shot of liquor usually makes a better point and I don't have to drink so much. Lol.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Cut the calories somewhere else or work out more and have a couple of Heinekins!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Or switch to wine (100 cal for 5oz and typically 8-11% ABV)
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it, but 55 calories for a beer, is great, if it does taste good. I drink Budlight and it's 110 calories. I might have to try it.

Bud Select is half Bud Light, half water. It's terrible. lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Life is too short for bad beer. I save my beer calories for something delicious and usually hoppy, often IPA. The local brewpubs' craft beers are my faves.

If I want something commercial and lower calorie, it might be New Belgium Voodoo Ranger 8 Hop Pale Ale (5.5% ABV, around 165 calories/12 oz). Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA is tastier (but more caloric, at 9% ABV). Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin is also on my current short list of widely-distributed tasty beers.
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Of generic brands Amstel is one of my favourites.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a home brewer. I love Ipa's. I just stay within my carb allowance. I treat it like a snack
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Bud light is 110kcals. I have it sometimes. Sam Adames Boston Ale has 160kcals, apparently. If you're having just one, the calorie difference is pretty small.
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm older and wiser, I don't bother with light beer. But honestly, when I was drinking light beer, I found Milwaukee's Best Lite to be wayyyy better than some of the more well-known light beers, which I think I saw mentioned above somewhere. That said, I'd rather have one bottle of the good stuff (I prefer dark beer generally anyway) than three cheap ones. Which, according to the more informed posters above me, it sounds like if you're actually looking to get drunk on low calorie beer, you're pretty much wasting your money and mostly drinking water.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm going to repeat my rule of thumb here.

For most beers, you can get a pretty good estimate of calories using this formula:

kcal = 2.5 * (fluid oz) * (abv%)

For example, a 12 ounce our of a 7% abv IPA would be 2.5 * 12* 7 = 210 kcal.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm going to repeat my rule of thumb here.

For most beers, you can get a pretty good estimate of calories using this formula:

kcal = 2.5 * (fluid oz) * (abv%)

For example, a 12 ounce our of a 7% abv IPA would be 2.5 * 12* 7 = 210 kcal.

This ^^^ is super useful! thanks!