Beginners-Keto diet

Options
scorpidg
scorpidg Posts: 1 Member
I'm just getting started and need feedback on Keto diet, any suggestions?

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Rule 4 - watch your electrolytes
  • scoutgotout
    scoutgotout Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm just getting started too, so I thought I'd hop on your thread and see what kind of info you get. I've been eating keto for 9 days, and so far I have felt satiated and energetic. I haven't experienced what some people describe as "keto flu", which sounds like can be avoided by making sure you have enough salt and water. I am hoping for some good pointers towards research , but I really, really want to know the deal with avocados. Some people seem to swear by them, and I love them, but they're throwing my carb count over and it's discouraging for me.
    What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Recipes or favorite meals? Figuring out macros counts?
    I have enjoyed reading threads on here and have found some valuable information along the way, but definitely interested in learning more and being a part of this community that seems to provide support and accountability. Best wishes on your keto journey!
  • SavvySr8
    SavvySr8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need help with beginning keto diet, recipes, etc. Seek to regulate blood insulin: lower meds & eventually get off! Thanks for responding
  • KetoPaul79
    KetoPaul79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried Keto before and agree with the rules above. I have taken it very serious this time, weigh you food to get accurate readings, I also use Ketostix, to make sure my body stays in a ketogenic state. Long way to go but going in the right direction
  • geezybreezy
    geezybreezy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also a keto beginner. Started 3 weeks ago and still have a lot of questions. Checking out this thread for more info.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    podcasts...keto talk, 2 keto dutes, keto for women... google i your friend. do a keto calculator to determine your macros. change the percentages of carbs proteins and fats under goals. Enjoy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily MFP group is a great source of info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • seac57
    seac57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 3 for me on Keto. One question is ideas for side dishes for dinner. Seems like all our side dishes were carb heavy and finding it hard to come up with keto friendly options other than salad/veggies.

One other question is about food labels. Definitely checking them for carbs/protein/fat, but should I worry about specific ingredients if the carbs are near zero?

Thanks for the help. Always looking for new friends for mutual support.
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Chicken carbonara without the pasta is good and one of my favourites is stuffed mushrooms with bacon, tasty cheese and a bit of Parmesan on top to make it a bit crunchy
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    went out to scotty's brewhouse yesterday and enjoyed a small bison burger without the bun with blue cheese cajun spices and mustard and mayo. side of steamed broccoli. delicious. I'm on week 3 9 pounds gone out of 25 goal.
  • tjulius751
    tjulius751 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started keto 7 days ago and have lost 11 lbs so far. I'm pretty much eating bacon for every meal, a couple eggs throughout the day, limited coffee to one cup in the morning and drinking lots of water all day. Starting weight was 252 lbs, goal is to get down to 200 lbs. My 2nd and 3rd day was rough, but feeling better now. My goal is 1800 calories, with 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs or less. I used a macro calculator to set my target meal plan. I'm no expert on keto I just looked online and found a few succes stories and am trying it out. Good luck.
  • LunaPipes
    LunaPipes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am easing in, expecting to go full force in the next week or so (sugar & wine addicts and need to realistically use up my pantry). 5 days in and I lost almost 3 pounds without really "trying", being crazy hungry, and zero exercise.

I am definitely finding my potassium intake is low based on the tracking #'s and my sleep is out of wack. It looks like I have to supplement with some magnesium and pink Himalayan salt for good measure.

I don't have any restrictions or allergies and, after more research recently, I am excited about the food options / replacements on Keto. The 3-5 day egg kick start is on the horizon in the next week or 2. Good luck to you!
  • lesleyoates1
    lesleyoates1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am definitely jumping on this thread...am a true believer in a keto diet and healthy eating.
  • mrscrofts
    mrscrofts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    podcasts...keto talk, 2 keto dutes, keto for women... google i your friend. do a keto calculator to determine your macros. change the percentages of carbs proteins and fats under goals. Enjoy.

Are the podcasts on iTunes?