Training or no training, that's the question

Options
skymningen
skymningen Posts: 532 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I attended a happy wedding yesterday. Of course there was a lot of food (although it was reasonable for a wedding and apart from the cake and dessert a really healthy choice) and most importantly there was quite a bit of alcohol. Vodka, to be precise. And because I was not only a guest, but helped the couple out as a translator during the ceremony and had prepared a short speech, quite some of the thankful polish family members wanted to share a toast with me... long story short, I am reasonably fine today. Did not sleep well and not nearly enough, am definitely still busy getting rid of that alcohol and just feel a little weak and tired. No headache or sickness though. :)
I got myself a late start to work today so I would be able to cope, but originally I had planned to go for my normal weight training at the gym after work in case I feel fine enough.
I expect to feel better by that time (weakness wise, maybe coffee at work will help with the tiredness too), but I am not sure if it actually is a good idea to train with that much remnants of alcohol in my system.
Any hints or tips for that? Should I just go and try or move the workout to another day altogether? I thought it might even help me feel better and sleep better tonight, but it might also go wrong with me not completely up to snuff.

Replies

• PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always follow my scheduled workout, unless I'm injured or I get there and just don't have it that day. Since you're not injured, I would suggest you go and give it your best effort.
  • TartsAndTattoos
    TartsAndTattoos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go workout- you'll feel better afterwards. Tired but you'll be happy you did. And drink water!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oddly enough, I have no problems doing cardio on mornings after but can't bring myself to do any kind of resistance work. I know that I won't be able to generate the strength/focus I'd need to really make the workout worth it so opt to rest up instead.

At least even half-assed cardio can provide some benefits. Half-assed resistance work is just sitting around (for me, at least).

This also could be why I'm skinny fat but I've opted not to take a deeper look at the question.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    To give you an update: I actually ended up having a horribly stressful day at work and when done was unable to keep myself awake. So I moved the workout to today.
    Went okay, but there is definitely a slight drop in strength which happened. So much for too much food and alcohol one day and then too little sleep and food the next... I still did everything I planned, just went a little easy on the free weights to not risk injury.