Yummy vegetarian meals for meat lovers?

Options
lrichane
lrichane Posts: 2
Hi, my fiance is eating way too much meat (and so am I, since he usually cooks!). I'm trying to come up with recipes that are healthy, meat-free, but still really delicious (I have a lot of vegetarian cookbooks, but most of what's in them is a bit "out there" for him). Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Combine beans and a grain for a complete protein, and some kind of vegetable with it. The obvious is black beans and brown rice, but there's a lot of other good combinations out there.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Vegetable lasagna, or even regular lasagna but substitute the meat with soy crumbles. Also, my ex (who never ate vegetables ever) really liked shepard's pie made with the soy crumbles. If he's worried about "weird food", I would just start out with dishes he already knows and sub the meat (that's what I did all the time).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Just google Healthy Vegetarian recipes.
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Quorn is a good meat substitute, low fat and high in protein. There's soya and tofu too. I like red lentils a lot and use them in casseroles, stews, soups and cottage pie.
  • dls06
    Options
    Grill egglpant until tender and set aside.
    Saute onions, peppers, a small zucchini and yellow squash and garlic until veggies are soft. Add 1 small can of tomatoes and 1/2 can of water basil, oregano, red pepper flakes. Cook sauce for at least 30 min. Make 2 oz of pasta per person. When pasta is finished add to the veggie mixture and cook for a couple min. until pasta is flavored.
    Put a sprinkle of low fat moz. cheese on eggplant and bake a min or two until melted.
    Put pasta and sauce on plate and add eggplant on top.
    Great low cal low carb meal. Use no salt tomatoes for a low soduim meal too.
  • dls06
    Options
    dp
  • kelsey2004
    Options
    Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches! Just made them for my family and they said they didn't even miss the meat!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I have a couple I've been slipping in on the family. These are pretty simple and a good starting point.

Pasta--I use whole grain pasta or pasta like Barilla Plus, Ragu no sugar added sauce and I sautee about 8oz of mushooms to add to it to cover up for the meat I didn't add. It wasn't really missed!

Quesidillas--I use corn tortillas, fat free refried beans or smash up canned or home cooked beans and sprinkle with 2% milk sharp chedder cheese. You can top w/ salsa, fresh tomatoes and lettuce, greek yougurt, what ever you like, or serve them plain.

Mushroom and Swiss Burgers--I use original Boca burgers, whole wheat lower calorie buns, 2% milk swiss cheese slice, and I sautee mushrroms, add about a cup of vegetable broth, let it reduce, thicken with a little cornstarch. Tada!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Trying this tonight, saw it on a gardening show:

Eggplant Lasagna

Slice 2 medium eggplants lengthwise. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and grill both sides. Drain in a paper towel lined dish.

Grease baking pan. Layer eggplant slices, ricotta cheese, tomato sauce and shredded mozzeralla cheese. Repeat.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Sounds yummy to me and eggplant is on sale in my area these days.
  • lrichane
    lrichane Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, thanks everybody! :smile:
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm having these homemade "Fiesta" burgers for dinner tonight - can't wait! I reckon they'd tempt even the most dedicated omnivore :D

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/04/black-bean-fiesta-veggie-burgers-slaw.html
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thai curry of all sorts, YUMMY! There is a fabulous website with lots of recipies called fatfreevegan.com. I'm not vegan, but I love these recipes because they are all healthy and non-fat (just about). I love the Yellow Vegetable Thai Curry recipe. It uses half coconut milk and half veggie broth to keep the calories down. I put over brown rice. To die for.