I suck at running. Discuss.

Replies

• Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    PaytraB wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Run slower.

Really. Don't worry about pace. There is nothing wrong with running an 11-12 minute mile, most of my runs are that pace but very very slowly getting to a higher average pace.

This. Run slow and you'll run longer. Speed will happen in time.

How long have you been running? How are you training for distance?

I've been running for about 4 years and my running pace is about 12 minutes a mile. Summer heat slows me down even more. This morning I ran 7K in 66 minutes. Slow maybe but I did it, in the summer and in the heat.

How are your shoes? They may be causing trouble and making your legs feel tired.

I've been running for 3 years now. I must admit, I don't go as much in the winter, but I still go enough to maintain the ability to run 2-3 miles.

Your response speaks volumes to me, thank you! It's so helpful to hear that running for 3 years does not mean I should be faster than I am. Your comments are very reassuring for me. :)

What I've gotten from all of this is that I need to run slower, and build up from there. My next run I will do that. And it's ok that I still run 12 minute miles after 3 years. Thank you all again, your responses have been hugely helpful!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Poor thing. You can run only 10 min mile and only 10 miles at once. It must feel awful!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Work on breathing. You want to breath with your belly. Practice by lying down and watch your stomach. You want to pull your diaphragm down and your belly will pop up. Don't breath with your upper chest. Sing and breath down into your belly - that will help strengthen your muscles so you can control your breathing better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I suck at long distance running. So I walk/jog instead.

But if you're intent is to run a 10k well, you keep practicing at it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Eire228 wrote: »
    My new favorite Pinterest quote is, "if you suck at running, keep doing it."

So I do. And I continue to suck.

All joking aside, I really do struggle with running. I want to keep doing it so that someday, maybe even just for one run, it won't feel like such an impossible struggle. I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 130lbs (down from 150, yay!), and I exercise 4-5 times a week, including running, strength training, and yoga. Right now I'm working up to running a 10k, though I've done a half marathon in the past (the longest I've ever run without having to stop is 10 miles, just once, 3 years ago). When I run, I feel like an obese chain smoker. My heart rate is steady at 175-180 on flat ground, and 190-195 on hills, no matter what distance I run. I breathe SO loudly, I scare people if I come up behind them! I'm lucky if I can maintain a 10 minute mile for 3 miles. Usually I'm closer to 11 or 12 minute miles. Sometimes when I'm running a longer distance like 5 miles, my body just stops and I double over trying to breathe. I tell myself "keep going, keep going, you can do it!" But then I fall short. WTF.

Does it ever get better??????

I'm not really expecting an answer, I just needed someplace to vent.

I always sucked and always will suck at running. But with practice, I sucked less, and in any case, who cares ? When I started running, I would not even manage a 5 minute run without wanting to die. That was back when I was 18. At school, I always avoided running, even kids games involving running, as I was awfully slow (despite being at a normal weight, it just was not my thing, I could climb, dance, swim, jump, but not run). Somewhere along the way in my 20s, I fell in love with running and started running regularly. In the next 20 years or so, I kept running anything from 3 to 8 km a few times per week. So, in distance, I definitely saw improvement! I never managed a speed that would allow me to win races, but, so what? I was running because I loved it, not as a competitive sport
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I suck at running, but I'm fat and slow so it's to be expected. I'm hoping it will get better as I lose weight, but I don't care if it never does. I don't push for a certain pace or overload my lungs. I will take my 14 min/mile and revel in it, thank you very much. I enjoy running. I enjoy what it does for my calories and I enjoy what it does for my brain, so I'm going to continue doing it no matter how slow I am or how stupid I look doing it. I didn't care then when I could walk faster than I ran, and I still don't care now. It actually feels like progress that I can no longer outpace my own running speed on walks so I'll take it. It's a wonderful exercise for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2017
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    I disagree with the above: running more miles will make the miles you run feel easier. You will also probably get faster. Training for a 10k will make your 3 mile runs feel easy compared to your longer runs. Same when you go back to doing HMs.

If you are breathing hard on all your runs, you are probably running too fast. You might also want to get checked out for exercise induced asthma.

It's mostly about not overexerting herself. And hey if all it takes is a couple of weeks, great.

The point is, your advice is contrary to pretty much every coaching plan out there. Improving pace largely comes from adding volume initially.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Notwithstanding the generally sound advice in the thread, bad runs happen.

Sometimes everything dials in nicely and one can go comfortably for hour, other times the niggling voice starts a mile in and never disappears.

As with anything, running takes time and practice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited August 2017
    Frankly, pushing a heartrate of 180+ doesn't sound healthy or safe to me. You could consider switching to an elliptical machine for a while so you can better monitor and control your pace/level and systematically build up your stamina and circulatory strength.

I'm sorry, but that's rubbish. If TO is heathy then this is just her normal workout heartrate. The maximum heartrate of a person does not depend on a rather arbitrary equation but is determined by genetics. If TO has a high maximum HR then working out will push her into hhigher rates. No problem and completely normal. If she keeps on running, and alternates between fast and shorter, and long and slower runs then she'll be able to achieve the same run at a lower HR. Or run faster at the old HR.

TO, ignore HR. Just add in some variations based on how you can speak:
    long and slow run: you're still able to speak in coherent sentences
    short and fast: speaking? Groaning maybe
    intermediate: intermediate.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who sucks at running!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Oh, and here is some motivation for your next run. I am a turtle runner. With my smidgit height and short stubby legs I am never going to be fast. It doesn't matter to me how slow I run the miles. I still earn my chocolate and wine calories. ;)

5ybdpo5b2zgy.jpg

I would LOVE to burn that many calories for a run...

Lol! Right?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I had the same issue during running and a cardio class. I mentioned it to my doctor and he diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma. Two puffs of an inhaler before running really helped me with breathing! You just can't underestimate the value of getting oxygen without a struggle!
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    I can relate to your frustrations of running with people who are fast runners. My boyfriend is very quick, so when we go to the park we do not run together. We do our own thing and then meet up when we are both done. Sometimes we will run the path in opposite directions so we can wave when we pass each other. It would be frustrating for both of us if we tried to run together. We have different running goals and try to be supportive of each other as we work towards them.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm similar stats as you and for me 10-min miles are closer to race pace. (5K PR is 29:20, hoping to beat that before too long. :) ) But I'm 41, never been athletic (though I did some dance and figure skating when I was younger), have had MS since I was 24 and only got into running a few years ago (2013ish?) so I'm thrilled to be able to run at all.

I did train for a 10K a few years ago and I agree with pp's who said sometimes increased speed comes with increasing your distance. Just focus on a sustainable pace for your runs (other than speed work) and follow a good program that has a mix of long runs, easy runs and speed work.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I want to thank you all again. I took the advice given and ran 3 miles yesterday at a slower 12 minute/mile pace.

this is so great that i don't even mind losing one from the sucks-at-running bench. congratulations!
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    I love running but I too suck at it. Nothing in my stride is graceful or fluid. Even when I weighed 130lbs, I sounded like an elephant with every step. But man do I love the feeling of accomplishment when I finish. To help steady my breathing, I was taught to concentrate on pushing air out of my lungs. Our bodies will naturally inhale so gulping for air shouldn't be the focus. I'm not explaining it as well as my coach did but it really helped me control my breathing when I was learning to run.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I suuuuck at running these days. My cardiovascular fitness is so bad right now. Which is brutal because I used to have to run every bloody day as a cadet.
    I'm working on getting better and my first real running goal is to eventually get to a 10 minute mile. Lol right now I'm still in the speedwalking with a touch of running intervals added in, so I have a long way to go.
    It's really nice to see other ppl that love running but aren't necessarily great at it.
  • Eire228 wrote: »
    My new favorite Pinterest quote is, "if you suck at running, keep doing it."

So I do. And I continue to suck.

All joking aside, I really do struggle with running. I want to keep doing it so that someday, maybe even just for one run, it won't feel like such an impossible struggle. I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 130lbs (down from 150, yay!), and I exercise 4-5 times a week, including running, strength training, and yoga. Right now I'm working up to running a 10k, though I've done a half marathon in the past (the longest I've ever run without having to stop is 10 miles, just once, 3 years ago). When I run, I feel like an obese chain smoker. My heart rate is steady at 175-180 on flat ground, and 190-195 on hills, no matter what distance I run. I breathe SO loudly, I scare people if I come up behind them! I'm lucky if I can maintain a 10 minute mile for 3 miles. Usually I'm closer to 11 or 12 minute miles. Sometimes when I'm running a longer distance like 5 miles, my body just stops and I double over trying to breathe. I tell myself "keep going, keep going, you can do it!" But then I fall short. WTF.

It depends on your overall health? Are you bones or heart hurting while you run? The breathing could be a cardiovascular problem or could be a result of training on and off. I have the same problem when I'm rusty.

From my personal experience, before I gained weight (back in high school), I went from running 5km in 33-35 minutes to 19m50s. I would running 5km once/twice a day and eat a variety of fruits beforehand; with a cheat day here or there. I think that over time, as your muscles strengthen, your weight burns off, and you train constantly, you'll get there.

Regarding breathing, I was told to breathe in from your nose and out from your mouth (personally I don't do it, but you could). Also, it's good to breathe loudly! It means your body is taking in oxygen to supply itself and you're losing weight!

One thing to note: while running, you'll look more toned....however, you might burn muscle along with fat in the process. Especially if you're trying to build muscle. Make sure to eat enough (and include protein and strength training) to minimize muscle loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I suuuuck at running these days. My cardiovascular fitness is so bad right now. Which is brutal because I used to have to run every bloody day as a cadet.
    I'm working on getting better and my first real running goal is to eventually get to a 10 minute mile. Lol right now I'm still in the speedwalking with a touch of running intervals added in, so I have a long way to go.
    It's really nice to see other ppl that love running but aren't necessarily great at it.

I don't think it's a case of being 'great' at it... at what speed or distance is 'great'? For me every mile, every run, every race is a celebration of the amazing things our bodies can do, what they may not have been able to do last year, last month or even last week.

PBing a race is greatness, running a farthest distance is greatness, getting out the door when it's 6am/you've been at work all day/ you've just put the kids to bed is greatness.

The numbers DO NOT MATTER because there is always someone faster out there. But you're not competing against them, you're competing against yourself.