Gained 5lbs overnight??

Options
I read online if you had a cheat day it will boost my metabolism and help me lose weight and get over a plateau however when I woke up this morning I had gained 5lbs and I'm upset because it was hard for me to lose the weight and now it's just come back. I know it's probably water weight but how do I get rid of it and how long will it take. Thanks

Replies

• SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This happens to me often. It's disheartening, but it definitely makes me realize the relationship between some foods and the scale. Now if only I could find that magic food that makes me lose 5 pounds overnight!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    This happens to me often. It's disheartening, but it definitely makes me realize the relationship between some foods and the scale. Now if only I could find that magic food that makes me lose 5 pounds overnight!

It's not just foods, it can also be exercise, hormones, medication
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To be clear, the heart rate has nothing to do with how fast you will lose weight.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp#mainContent

The number on the scale and the fat lost have only a passing resemblance. Use a trending app to track your progress and stop fussing over individual results.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think you read about the wooosh effect by the sounds of it: where your body is holding water in place of the fat lost and suddenly you can loose the water weight and drop a few lbs. I have read that eating at maintenance can encourage this effect to happen but it isn't guarenteed and if your food was high in salt its probably leading to water staying in not leaving. The whoosh effect is unpredictable, if it even exists at all and cant necessarily be bought on with eating at maintenance calories for the day. Continue to eat a deficit and you will see the weight drop over time, with some stalls, gains and general wobbles.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I read online if you had a cheat day it will boost my metabolism and help me lose weight and get over a plateau however when I woke up this morning I had gained 5lbs and I'm upset because it was hard for me to lose the weight and now it's just come back. I know it's probably water weight but how do I get rid of it and how long will it take. Thanks

You need to read better sources. ;)

If the meal you ate was high in sodium, you could well be retaining water. Or, the food you ate is still in your system, or a combination of the two. Regardless, if you drink some extra water and wait a day or two, the excess weight will dissipate.

As noted above, exercise will burn off some extra calories, but it does *not* increase your metabolism. Your metabolism is pretty set and doesn't respond like a car does when you simply step on the gas. :)
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    Okay.
    1. Metabolism is the rate at which your body uses energy (fat, muscle, food calories) in order to exist.
    2. The only way to increase metabolism is by increasing your blood flow and heart rate (exercizing).
    3. Unless you consumed about 17,500 (3500 calories ~ 1lb) in one day, you did not gain 5lbs overnight.

There is no magic pill or food or diet that increases metabolism or makes you magically lose weight. It's CICO (calories in vs calories out). Consume fewer calories than your body uses, you will lose weight.

Also, fat loss isn't linear, normal fluctuations can swing weight 5lbs in either direction very easily. What matters is long term healthy eating at a slight calorie deficit (500 calorie deficit = about 1lb per week) for long term fat loss.

At what average heart rate should we be at to have a steady metabolism?

Everyone with a heartbeat has a steady metabolism. When we exert ourselves and increase heart rate, blood flow, oxygen intake....also known as exercize, our metabolism is temporarily increased: we need more fuel to power the increases in exertion. This is why we burn more calories (use more fuel) when we run vs sitting.

There is very little difference from one person to another regarding steady state metabolism. Some people just need more calories because of a higher mass (more body to keep alive). This is why someone that weighs 200lbs needs more calories to maintain their weight than someone who weighs 120lbs.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Okay.
    1. Metabolism is the rate at which your body uses energy (fat, muscle, food calories) in order to exist.
    2. The only way to increase metabolism is by increasing your blood flow and heart rate (exercizing).
    3. Unless you consumed about 17,500 (3500 calories ~ 1lb) in one day, you did not gain 5lbs overnight.

There is no magic pill or food or diet that increases metabolism or makes you magically lose weight. It's CICO (calories in vs calories out). Consume fewer calories than your body uses, you will lose weight.

Also, fat loss isn't linear, normal fluctuations can swing weight 5lbs in either direction very easily. What matters is long term healthy eating at a slight calorie deficit (500 calorie deficit = about 1lb per week) for long term fat loss.

Everyone with a heartbeat has a steady metabolism. When we exert ourselves and increase heart rate, blood flow, oxygen intake....also known as exercize, our metabolism is temporarily increased: we need more fuel to power the increases in exertion. This is why we burn more calories (use more fuel) when we run vs sitting.

There is very little difference from one person to another regarding steady state metabolism. Some people just need more calories because of a higher mass (more body to keep alive). This is why someone that weighs 200lbs needs more calories to maintain their weight than someone who weighs 120lbs.
    Okay.

There can be a huge difference from person to person with metabolism. Your age alone has an impact.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The best way to fix a "plateau" is accurate logging. Don't stress over water weight. You'll be fine.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Okay.

Okay.

There can be a huge difference from person to person with metabolism. Your age alone has an impact.

I miss typed. Sorry. I meant from one *similar* person to another. Late at night, just finished workout.... "Need Refueling!!!!" Mind/fingers/typing was at fail mode.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Lol, my last "cheat" day was two days ago. I went from 111.5 to 117.9 pounds. If you're not used to it, it's shocking but it will go away within a week. Same thing with any water weight during ovulation or menstruation. My body loves to hold copious amounts of water sometimes.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options

Technically dairy can make me lose 5lbs of weight overnight, but that's because my body can't handle dairy, at all. I wouldn't recommend it, as the weight just comes right back on once I leave the cheese alone.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    If I go for an 18 mile run like last Sunday I'll lose 5lbs in water weight in 3 hours. Woot. :D Just like your 'gain' it's not actual fat gain or loss. Our weight is not a static number, but is constantly fluctuating up and down depending on water weight, food still in your system, etc.

I try to weigh every day and use a weight trend app, so for fun I went and pulled up my graph. You can see just how much my weight fluctuates up and down, day to day. But, the important part is the overall trend.

ej2mtrspcgpj.jpg
  • leopardessa
    leopardessa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If it just water weight, no worries. Increase your fluid intake and the pounds will come off in days. You cannot gain five pounds from one cheat day until you consumed 3000 plus calories.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If it just water weight, no worries. Increase your fluid intake and the pounds will come off in days. You cannot gain five pounds from one cheat day until you consumed 3000 plus calories.

That would be less than a1lb gain. A 5 lb gain would be 14000 calories over.