Any Cheese Addicts?

Replies

• jenism
    jenism Posts: 31 Member
    I'm a cheese nut too, I could easily eat my daily calorie allowance in cheese. Laughing cow is great.. I am also newly in love with cottage cheese, I can't believe I thought it was gross before, add some pepper and green onions...sooooo good!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    THere is Lauging Cow Light. Its a processed cheese so nothing like an exception sharp cheddar. Maybe just use really flavorful cheese that pack a big flavor punch and use less. But the Laughing Cow Light is okay with crackers. :)

I love laughing cow too! It is not quite the same as some extra sharp cheddar but it will do. The garlic herb flavor reminds me of boursin cheese (which I love). There is also a good queso type flavor that is great spread out on a wrap instead of mayo or cream cheese. There are several flavors so give them all a try and see what you like. It is very spreadable.

Every once and a while I just have to eat some real cheese though. I think if you measure it out and just limit yourself to a serving a day then you can have it. I eat cheddar cheese toast regularly..I just make sure to only use an ounce of cheese and then I don't eat anymore of it the rest of the day! Moderation is the key to making the lifestyle. If you completely remove things you love from your diet then you will be miserable!
  • joyfulthanks
    joyfulthanks Posts: 155
    Oh, I really, really LOVE cheese!

I buy the really good stuff and eat it in small quantities a couple of times a week, but when I just need a cheese fix and I can't spare the calories, sometimes whole milk cottage cheese or laughing cow will at least help scratch the itch a bit.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Cheese is the best!
    I have to treat it like chocolate and my other treat foods. Not very often, but really appreciate it when I have a small treat piece.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    i LOOOOOOOOOOVE all kinds of cheeses. It goes so well with a glass of wine too :) Finding alternatives are really tough...a lot of people have mentioned Laughing Cow cheese wedges and those are pretty good. But moderation for the real thing is probably the best way to go...just workout an extra 30 mins when you have some :)
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    good cheese don't have much calories, that's what I have noticed
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    I could not possibly give up cheese.
    Some of the low fat ones are ok but rubbery.
    Just all in moderation I guess. =)
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    My name is Olivia, and I am a cheese-o-holic.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    I couldn't give up cheese....I could give up ice cream before I could give up cheese! I still have it whenever it fits in my diary. I can't stand the fat free cheeses (when it has a different color than real cheese, I'm not even trying it!) but the 2% milk cheeses taste exactly the same to me (I just buy Kroger brand.....I've never had a Kroger dairy product that didn't taste good!). But I weigh out a serving of cheese now on my food scale. That's been my saving grace (in all areas of my weight loss really). Because I could knock back a whole block of sharp cheddar before and think nothing of it! Moderation is the key like others have said!
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    I'd much rather have cheese than chocolate. I love Tillamook Extra Sharp cheddar. So Good!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Mushroom-Stuffed Brie en Croûte. MMMMmmmmmmm!!!!!
  • I bought some parmesan ends the other day. I weigh out one ounce on my scale as a snack. It's 110 calories, but worth it. It's kind of hard to chew, so it's not easy to eat it really fast.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    One of new favorite foods is goat cheese. It is really strong so you don't need to add a lot to get a ton of flavor, and only 70 calories an ounce.

Here is my quick recipe. This gives a lot of food for about 350 calories:

12 oz mushroom (or a bit more)
    4 oz goat cheese
    little bit of cooking wine (I prefer Marsala, but used white when I run out)
    Cooking spray

1)remove stems from mushrooms. Chop stems, and heat on stove in small pan until juice is released (3-5 minutes).
    2)Mix with goat cheese, and let stand
    3) spray pan with cooking spray, and put just enough wine to coat bottom of pan. Add mushrooms and cook til done (when juice has pooled in center, about 10 minutes)
    4) Pour out excess juice and set mushrooms on plate. Fill with cheese mixture.
    5) Eat and enjoy!

Note: This is a basic recipe, that anyone can change to their tastes. Adding basil to the cheese stuffing is one idea.
  • CydneyS
    CydneyS Posts: 7
    the cabot 75% and 50% reduced fat cheese are low in cals and still taste great
  • LOL Glad to know I'm not alone.

I read an article that says cheese has an ingredient that makes it addicting. I completely believe it is true.

chrisc....I might have to invest in a food scale. I know I could eat a block of cheese without giving it a second thought.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    I have learned to have a cheese string as a snack every day or two to help curve my cheese cravings. But if the occasion calls for something better (like feta in a salad), I will go for that instead....in moderation.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I LOVE cheese. If left unmonitored, I could easily consume 800-1000 calories in cheese. I love love love it. Gouda, parmesan, assiago, cheddar, brie, gorgonzola, muenster, romano, provalone, mozzarella, I could go on and on- I even cheese in my sweets, like kanafeh.. or I put it on my apple pie. yikes!

Right now I've given up cheese but just for now. When I think I'm ready I'll reintroduce it to my diet in moderation, but for right now it's better that I just don't eat any at all.
  • Eeeek! I don't think I could quit cold-turkey on cheese. (lol, sorry 'bout the pun).

Seriously though, I just have to learn moderation I guess 'cuz cheese will have to remain a part of my eating habits. lol
  • jnnyc
    jnnyc Posts: 25
    hi!
    I'm a cheese adict. It's so bad. In life before my fitness pal- as I call it BMFP- I could easily eat a half a block of brie. In fact, I have on many occasions.

I like the laughing cow wedges to use as a spread on sandwichs- but they are really "fake" super processed cheese.

Instead I tend to treat myself to a really fancy cheese and use it in moderation. When you make pizza with a super fresh ball of motzerella instead of shredded plastic- you will find you can use SO much less....and therfore save on the calories.
    When you get good cheese- a little goes a long way.

Perhaps buy a block of that beloved sharp chedder. Shave some to use on top of salads- 1-2tsps. And cut some into blocks to eat with crackers or put into omletters.
    Get a food scale and scale out portions of the cheese. It willl be well worth it.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Trader Joes makes mini brie bites - individual wheels of brie that are 70 calories :-D LOVE THEM!