Working through a flat-foot caused knee injury

Good morning! This weekend I went camping with my husband. We were carrying very heavy packs and it was a steep hike. I think it was going down that did the damage. I have very flat feet--the part of my foot where the arches should be sits flat on the ground. I wear birkenstocks around the house and try to get workout shoes with good arch support, but it's never quite enough. My flat feet wear the arches down right away. So I think my hiking boots weren't offering enough support, and the added weight from my pack put too much strain on the medial region of my knee. I don't know exactly what is wrong, but I know there is an injury. Both knees are tender to the touch almost as though they are bruised on the inner side of my knees just below the knee cap. When I tried to do the elliptical the other day, the pain radiated up into my thigh, and felt almost like a cramp. Yesterday I took the day off, but felt very sore walking my dog.

I don't want to lose weeks in the gym over this. My question is, do any of you have flat feet and resulting knee problems? What are some strategies to manage it, besides using inserts in your shoes? Do you use a knee brace? Do you ice? Or do you just have to quit straining it entirely by staying out of the gym for awhile? I use the elliptical to avoid high impact, and I really don't want to have to stop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• ErinMichelle31
    ErinMichelle31 Posts: 29 Member
    Anyone else struggle with flat feet and their knees?
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    I have very flat feet. I am 50 years old so have lived with them a long time. I run almost every day and found that inserts and pronation control shoes left me with IT band issues. My doctor is an ultra-runner and he suggested finding the most cushioned shoes I could find. I have been running in Hokas for over 5 years now and my knees feel great- even the arthritic one that I had reconstructive surgery on when I was 21. Hokas are a maximalist shoe meaning they are super cushioned. Nike has come out with a similar shoe in the last few months.
    I also work a lot on quad strength to offer increased protection for my knees- this seems to have helped also.
    Just some suggestions of what worked for me.
    Good luck!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Do you have good insoles? My husband has flat feet and since having insoles made he has no issues from flat feet
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    And what I mean by insoles are custom made from the doctor...they are $$$ but worth it!
  • ErinMichelle31
    ErinMichelle31 Posts: 29 Member
    I don't. How did your husband go about arranging that?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I feel your pain ... literally. Ice and NSAIDs will help you in the short term. I strongly suggest doing nothing more strenuous for your lower body than walking for the next week. After that, if you still have pain, you should see your dr. For professional inserts you need to go to a podiatrist or sports medicine or other physician who can make the prescription. I have had pretty good luck with protalus inserts which are available through their website, for a fair amount of change (but probably less than prescription inserts if you will be paying out of pocket).