Overeating, help!

I started using my fitness pal a month ago and I've always managed to either be under or exactly on my calorie intake for the day. However I started work for the first time last week and not only am I struggling to go to the gym, I'm also overeating when I get home. I think this has to do with the fact that my lunch break is by 12:00 and I finish work by 17:30, meaning I don't get home till 18:00, so I'm usually so ridiculously hungry when I get home that I end up eating everything in sight. Is there a way to stop this? Your help will be really appreciated as I am now backsliding. Thank you

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Pack a snack to eat on the way home. That way you won't be as hungry when you get there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I'd be the same way if I didn't have a snack around 3:00.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Snacks. When I worked an office job, I always packed a low calorie snack pack to have in the afternoon or on the commute home (or sometimes both). Even now that I work in daycare, I get the munchies around the same time our kids have snack in the evenings, so I just have a small serving of what their having (half a Graham cracker, part of a banana, etc).
  • LyssaNicole178
    LyssaNicole178 Posts: 4 Member
    I've been struggling with overeating as well but recently I started eating more and more vegetables (I.e. One whole cucumber) and I will be full for a very very long time!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    I did the same thing my first couple of weeks. Between lunch and dinner may be 7 hours for me, so I save 500 calories and eat them as snacks in the afternoon. It keeps me from binging, and I eat modest meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Currently I am snacking on skinny pop popcorn and krave pork jerky
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    I had this problem a lot.

Try packing snacks!! If snacking during your shift isn't an option, consider packing one for post work. This way, you can satiate your tummy enough to find nutritious foods when you get home. Small amounts of nuts, cheeses, fruit, meat roll ups, something you can control easily. Fattier foods or protein will satiate you better.

In combination or instead of the above option... Meal prep is your friend. If the food is already cooked and available, it's easier to turn down poor choices. Make a large meal ahead of time that you can spread out throughout the week. Freeze some crockpot "packs" that you have to pull from the freezer and throw in the morning of.

Lastly... Make sure you keep your water intake up. It's good for you, sometimes hunger is really thirst, and it'll help prevent you from overeating.

Good luck!
  • ShekinahO
    ShekinahO Posts: 4 Member
    Snacks. When I worked an office job, I always packed a low calorie snack pack to have in the afternoon or on the commute home (or sometimes both). Even now that I work in daycare, I get the munchies around the same time our kids have snack in the evenings, so I just have a small serving of what their having (half a Graham cracker, part of a banana, etc).

I work in a day care as well. That's why I'm finding it so hard not to overeat. I took my eyes off the kids for a minute the other day to get an apple and one of the boys punched the other boy, so I'm too scared to look away from them when I'm not on my break.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Also try to make sure your lunch is sustaining i.e. include fat and protein. Too many carbs at lunch can result in unmanageable hunger later on.
  • ShekinahO
    tayusuki wrote: »
    I had this problem a lot.

Try packing snacks!! If snacking during your shift isn't an option, consider packing one for post work. This way, you can satiate your tummy enough to find nutritious foods when you get home. Small amounts of nuts, cheeses, fruit, meat roll ups, something you can control easily. Fattier foods or protein will satiate you better.

In combination or instead of the above option... Meal prep is your friend. If the food is already cooked and available, it's easier to turn down poor choices. Make a large meal ahead of time that you can spread out throughout the week. Freeze some crockpot "packs" that you have to pull from the freezer and throw in the morning of.

Lastly... Make sure you keep your water intake up. It's good for you, sometimes hunger is really thirst, and it'll help prevent you from overeating.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'm going to try this out. I usually just meal preped my breakfast and lunch but I'll try to do it for my dinner as well. Thank you
  • ShekinahO
    moss11 wrote: »
    Also try to make sure your lunch is sustaining i.e. include fat and protein. Too many carbs at lunch can result in unmanageable hunger later on.

I'll try this as well. Thank you
  • This is me totally! So far, my remedy, THIS WEEK , is a snack for the drive home in the form of celery, fruit, turkey pepporoni. I find that raw almonds with celery seems to satiate my hunger the best so I most often eat those. Keep trying you will find what works for you! Good Luck
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Eat a snack while the kids are eating their snacks. An apple and an ounce of cheese, a small serving of nuts, whatever is easy to pack and has a little protein to sustain you. And yes, have a full water bottle at the ready to keep hydrated. When I'm not drinking enough water, I get fatigued, which makes me ravenous.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    I keep some prepackages snacks in the glove compartment of my car in case I need a pick me up. Just those 100 calorie snack packs. It helps if I'm stuck somewhere and I'm hungry. Maybe you can do that and have a little snack as you're driving home?