Beach Body Workouts

RandJ6280
RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
I want to get a jump start my fitness and weight loss journey. I see many, MANY Beach Body workouts. Looking for advice on which one would be a good place to start.

Now for the facts.
I will be 55 next month.
Height 5'8"
Weight 226lbs (I've put on 25lbs in the last year
roughly a 39" waist (I can't believe it)
I haven't worked out in almost a year
I have a hard time running right now due to bad feet.
I almost get winded climbing one flight of stairs at work.

I am motivated, I want this for me

Feel free to add me.

THank you in advance

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Not familiar with many Beach Body - I've only tried Slim in 6 (good) & Turbo Jam (blech!) but there are a ton of free workouts on YouTube.

Starting out you will gain stamina pretty quickly. Don't drop big money on something "easy" that you will grow out of too quickly, or too hard that will be discouraging. The foot issue too.....you want to start out low impact.

Fitness Blender is really popular here. Test drive some workouts, build some stamina, and figure out your likes & dislikes. Then move on to Beach Body. You want to be active for a lifetime, not just while you are losing weight.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    I do p90x, works good I'm but can be pretty hard, took about 2 months before I could do the workouts without assistance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    21 day fix workout is a good place to start. Follow the modifications as needed. I don't do BB workouts, but know some people who have and that is the basis of my recommendation. I would also recommend a LOT of walking, hills if possible, or stairs since you have those available. Whatever you do, remember to pace yourself. People who try to "jump start" their fitness usually overdo it.
  • RandJ6280
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Not familiar with many Beach Body - I've only tried Slim in 6 (good) & Turbo Jam (blech!) but there are a ton of free workouts on YouTube.

Starting out you will gain stamina pretty quickly. Don't drop big money on something "easy" that you will grow out of too quickly, or too hard that will be discouraging. The foot issue too.....you want to start out low impact.

Fitness Blender is really popular here. Test drive some workouts, build some stamina, and figure out your likes & dislikes. Then move on to Beach Body. You want to be active for a lifetime, not just while you are losing weight.

I like your advice.... I want to lose weight NOT money. lol

Feel free to add me.
  • RandJ6280
    lorrpb wrote: »
    21 day fix workout is a good place to start. Follow the modifications as needed. I don't do BB workouts, but know some people who have and that is the basis of my recommendation. I would also recommend a LOT of walking, hills if possible, or stairs since you have those available. Whatever you do, remember to pace yourself. People who try to "jump start" their fitness usually overdo it.

Thank-you. I have done that in the past.... started off TO strong... and ended up actually going backwards.
    Your advice is noted.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

BB workouts are not "easy". They contain progressions to make harder and modifications to make easier. They offer an annual pass at a reasonable rate with access several dozen programs, each with many many workouts. I don't sell or use BB, but don't like blanket statements that slam products they know nothing about.
  • cassi82
    cassi82 Posts: 20 Member
    I subscribed to the BB On Demand and love it, since I get bored with workouts pretty quickly. I did a round of 21 Day Fix and am now doing Slim in 6. 21 Day Fix was definitely a good place to start, especially with the modifications. I have a coworker about your age who is doing PiYo and loves it. Good luck with your fitness journey!
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    I subscribe to BB on demand also (trial period before subscription). I'm doing T25 (Shaun T) and Shift Shop + Cize (Dance). There are modifications throughout each program. Exercises from 25 minutes to an hour. I truly enjoy their workouts✨
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    The BB streaming workouts are pretty cool, however be prepared to be heavily marketed for all of their other products.

I've tried BB a couple times, and am just not a fan. I find it to be scammy in general and don't like the cult-like mentality of their magical "superfoods" shake.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    When I started my journey I did P90X, it literally saved my life. Stopped partying, eating junk, smoking etc and focused on fitness.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    If you're just getting started, check your local library. It might have DVDs, or something in its e access program that you can stream. It'll get you started and you can get an idea of the type of video based workouts you like.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Lisseth03 wrote: »
    When I started my journey I did P90X, it literally saved my life. Stopped partying, eating junk, smoking etc and focused on fitness.

This. And yes I'm a coach, and no, I won't try to sell anyone in this thread anything. Having said that, These are my before and afters at 0, 3, and 6 months. I just won the beachbody challenge contest for July for my age group and my life is completely different than it was last fall. My GF is in the exact same boat. Could this have been achieved with other methods? Of course! But I love the on Demand, I love being able to change it up every time I complete a program, and I love the free t-shirts every time I finish one! lol!

3vrz4momek2u.jpg
  • ember168
    ember168 Posts: 64 Member
    Had beach body for a while. It wasnt really my style. I loved shaun t's 60 day insanity. That was awesome, but it didnt give me the definition i wanted. I moved onto bodyrock routines. Found them on youtube. The simplier one to start with (15 to 20 mins per workout) is the hiitmax series. 14 weeks worth of workouts. Then there's the 21 day bootcamp it is between 20 to 40 mins per workout and my all time favorite is the 30 day realtime challenge. These are amazing. I love them. Been doing these for years! Best routines ive ever come across.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    I love the bodyrock HIIT routines - too tough for me right now, but Lisa makes me laugh a lot :)

In the meantime, Beach Body is definitely a good start :)
  • StarLovesSky
    StarLovesSky Posts: 15 Member
    I've done Turbofire and Les Mills Bodycombat (back when you could get it from BB!!) I did the moderated version on Turbofire (but the music is shite, be warned!) as I have an ankle that's bolted into place, so can't do too much jumping. I really enjoyed the variety of the mixed workouts and i can squeeze them around my motherly duties, with the kids occasionally joining in! It kickstarted me, in that I started to enjoy exercising, and then had the confidence to join a gym/go for a run. Body combat is now available in my local gym so I can scoot along for a fix.

I would recommend any workout at home DVD that you enjoy, as it'll start you loving the process and makes staying healthier fun!

I've just signed up to the trial BB on demand and trying out Cize... I'm knackered now!! :wink:
  • Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    I signed up for the on demand. I like the variety. I'm in week two of Hammer and Chisel. I really am enjoying it. Workouts are 30-45min and there is always a person doing modifications. I have an old knee injury, so I wear a brace. You don't need a ton of equipment. Mat, dumbbells and an exercise ball or bench. I workout in my garage in a 5x8 area.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Last I checked they were running a free 30 days of their beach body on demand product, so if you have high speed internet you can check out all their workouts for free during the trial.

I have a bunch of them, on DVD, because I don't have high speed internet...and I love them, easy to follow and modify, solid workouts, some of them are boring, but I just sub them out for other less boring workouts...for example, doing les mills combat instead of KenpoX because punching and kicking is more fun in time with the music...in any case, I have P90x, X2, X3, Body Beast, Brazil Butt Lift, Les Mills Combat, and RevAbs...some of them I got used on amazon...most of them I got new on sale...a couple were gifts...if you get a coach you can get info on the sales, they usually have amazing sales around Christmas. I usually buy a new one each year because they almost always put one of the nice programs on sale for $30.

My favorites for strength are P90X and X3...my husband's favorite is Body Beast...favorite cardio is LM Combat, because that one is fun to me!!! BBL and RevAbs are good for just changing things up from time to time, I think those are only a month long, so they are a nice break between strength stuff...I get bored really easily, so by the time I get to the end of 90 days I'm so over it and I need a break.

I haven't ever actually done X2...I got it as a gift the same year I bought X3, and just haven't ever actually done the workouts...maybe I should put that on my list for after halloween...currently doing P90X (started month 2 today) with some substitutions on the cardio days.
  • RandJ6280
    A wide array of views... nice... very nice. And yet we are all on the same page in making a better us! Love it!! Carry On and get healthy.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    I've found a ton of good DVDs at local goodwill and thrift shops. You can try several without spending a ton of money.