Looking for advice on lifting weights?

Options
Hi!

So a friend of mine suggested lifting weights to tighten skin as I lose weight, seeing as I am worried about having loose skin on my arms. I am looking to get some advice on where to start with this. I don't have the extra money to join a gym, plus for comfort, I'd much rather buy what I need and do this at home. I am not sure what weight I should be starting at. I'm a 20-year-old 5'2 female, 185 pounds. Any suggestions as to what weight I should be starting at and working my way up to would be great, along with how often to do the exercises. Thanks so much, please excuse my cluelessness!

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I agree with @usmcmp bodyweight may be a good choice. Check out some of the bodyweight routines at this link (Convict Conditioning, Nerd Fitness):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are also some dumbbell routines if you have some basics at home already/want to buy some (also barbell stuff if you want to go into that range of equipment, but that is outside of my expertise).

As for weight, the first week (or weeks) of lifting routines are about form, so you start as light as you can and you see how to build from there (and many programs say how much weight to increase, depending on the style of program). Check Craigslist for people selling their stuff if you want to save some $. Honestly, I started with Aworkoutroutine dumbbell routine (literally did either just BW or 5lb dumbbells to start) and over a couple months, I am now strong enough to use the barbells at my gym. Excited to start my Greyskull LP lifting program soon :smile:

Youtube and bodybuilding.com have a lot of videos on form of specific exercises, so check them out too. Good luck.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Look up "beginner calisthenics workout" there are so many to choose from. These workouts don't require you to buy anything as calisthenics is body weight. Find one that suits you (days per week, length of workout, can you physically do the workouts).

If you want to join a gym, start by finding gyms that have "trial memberships" usually one week is the norm. Then talk to the trainers. Many gyms have free training sessions, most have trainers on site. At first, don't worry about the super nice gyms geared for weightlifting. Sure they have 120lb dumbbells and powerlifting stations, but if you can barely work out with 15lb dumbbells - you don't need 120lb dumbbells. Same goes for powerlifting stations. If you can't bench the Olympic bar, why insist you have one. Just remember that unless you know you can be dedicated to a gym, opt of no-contract memberships. Most gyms (particularly the cheapest ones) are built on the fact that most people will buy a membership, then only show up once or twice. If you join a gym then find it's not right for you, cancel, it's a bit more up front but a lot cheaper in the long run. Also, if you end up going regularly, you may find yourself outgrown the beginner gyms - you can still cancel and join somewhere that better suits your needs.

If you use weights, look up "beginner full body weight lifting workout", there are 1000's. Find one that suits you, or again go to a trainer and ask for help building a program that fits your goals and needs.
  • pastelcarly
    pastelcarly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much, I really really appreciate all the info. I'll look into body weight exercises to start out with...I said I wouldn't mind buying my own weights but now I'm sitting here with no idea where I'd even put them lol. So I think I'll start out with the body weight exercises and maybe if I get into it I'll look further into a gym. :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you could get a suspension trainer at home, like a TRX. they aren't terribly expensive, takes no no room, and its a great body weight exercise .
  • pastelcarly
    pastelcarly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you could get a suspension trainer at home, like a TRX. they aren't terribly expensive, takes no no room, and its a great body weight exercise .

I never thought of that, thank you!! I will look into that further.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Look up beginners weight lifting videos and tips on youtube. Tons of free workouts and advice there.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much, I really really appreciate all the info. I'll look into body weight exercises to start out with...I said I wouldn't mind buying my own weights but now I'm sitting here with no idea where I'd even put them lol. So I think I'll start out with the body weight exercises and maybe if I get into it I'll look further into a gym. :)

For buying dumbbells to use at home, search Craigslist. There are so many people that buy all kinds of workout gear in January, that get used twice. Midsummer is usually when people that are using thier January buy, use it again and give up...so they try to sell it.
  • CommanderFiend2015
    Options
    There is a body weight exercise app (called Bodyweight Fittness) that I use--it's pretty good. Links to a Reddit forum apparently, but there are a lot of video instructions. I think it cost like $5 USD, but I'm not 100% on that. I like it a lot, and it includes spaces for if you get access to gym equipment.

If you do end up getting access to gym equipment (sometimes you can find stuff for really good prices online, but you need the space) I also like the 5x5 app.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

For buying dumbbells to use at home, search Craigslist. There are so many people that buy all kinds of workout gear in January, that get used twice. Midsummer is usually when people that are using thier January buy, use it again and give up...so they try to sell it.

X2 Craigslist is a goldmine for used equipment - cheap - I set up my whole gym at home getting use stuff. weights, benches , squat rack , power rack . The iron weights never wear out - Eastcoast Jim
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips off a sturdy chair, bench or sofa are good! I know push-ups are good for chest but they seriously help my arms too since they are a work in progress. Wall push-ups or knee push-ups will work just fine. Originally I bought a little dumbbell set with 3, 5 and 8 pounds from Walmart and that helped get me on track too