Turmeric Supplements- Helpful or Nah?

Options
Stacyines
Stacyines Posts: 72 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm an avid blog reader and came across a recommendation on Tumeric Supplements. After reading so many Amazon positive reviews I decided to purchase it.

I bought Turmeric with Bioperine (I don't even know what that is.)
Anybody take or have experience taking Turmeric? Is it all hype?

It's stated it help alleviate joint pain and reduce swelling/bloating. Plus a bunch of other things that seem too good to be true.

Replies

• Nathancb1993
    Nathancb1993 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey Stacy, don't know a huge lot about it however alot of people that suffer from arthritic injuries will take it as a natural ant inflammatory.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? No. For other things? Maybe although the latest articles I have seen is that it is overrated and doesn't do as much as previously stated. I have heard of it mostly in anti-inflammatory discussions.
  • Stacyines
    Stacyines Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? No. For other things? Maybe although the latest articles I have seen is that it is overrated and doesn't do as much as previously stated. I have heard of it mostly in anti-inflammatory discussions.

Yeah, that's the reason I purchased it. I'm right handed and the workouts on my left hand side all lead to discomfort and mild pain. Hoping this may help as I build strength.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you are having pain, rest. Listen to your body.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Im British Indian... so comes naturally in a lot of Indian food.
    (Dont see point in adding a 'swirl' of it into chai tea lattes etc)
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Delicious in many foods, but as a supplement to lose weight? Just no.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Suplimenta no way. However try adding turmeric to roasted carrots this is delicious.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm tired of reading how turmeric fights obesity,depression,Alzheimer's, autism,joint pain,indigestion, blah blah blah I could keep going on, I tried it for two years straight and it helped nothing
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, nothing. For inflammation it's helpful.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty balanced article on the topic. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/ask-well-does-turmeric-have-proven-health-benefits/?_r=1

There's not much evidence that it works very well in humans. If you are a rat, well, the answer may be different.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    I bought some tumeric pills from Trader Joe's (for inflammation issues) but haven't started taking them yet. Anyone know how long until you see or feel results?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    Plus a bunch of other things that seem too good to be true.

You answered your own question.

time.com/4633558/turmeric-curcumin-inflammation-spice/

This is worth reading too (about supplements in general)

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-supplement-con/

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have started adding it to paella and all of my Mexican-flavored dishes. It seems to provide a nice little touch of richness and adds depth to the flavors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    OP, stop reading social media "tricks and tips" for weight loss, etc. Get SCIENCE BASED INFORMATION. A lot of stuff you want to actually learn can be done on here before jumping the gun.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    lots of turmeric in hot milk is great for a sore throat. also very good antiseptic to be put on burns/cuts etc. turmeric paste is also applied on the face for better skin. other stuff im not sure.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    For weight loss, nothing. For inflammation it's helpful.

Which assumes that people have actual inflammation issues. Since its kind of a buzz word these days. And not all inflammation is bad; exercise and fiber cause inflammation in a good way.

Op, if you are having issues with pain, id start with a physio/occupational therapist.

True. Some do, some don't.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned. You seem to be saying one side is stronger than the other, you are right side dominant which is all fine. What is not, you get pain when working your left side. I wonder if you would benefit from having someone to advise you personally on posture and things while you are exercising, possibly with advice for when you are going about your every day activity. It may be an idea to see your doctor though if there is a personal trainer available at the gym they may have some ideas for you in the first instance.

I know it is good for us to find ways to help ourselves. I dare say this product is like may others works better for some than others. I would really be concerned if for you it masked an issue of any sort.

All the best, and please, do what is right for yourself.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I supplement with Curcumin ( Tumeric ) 1000 g / day as an anti inflammatory /pain reliever . I've had a lot of broken bone & ortho damage in the past and it helps to take the edge off - Eastcoast Jim